Home office deduction

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Home office deduction

Post by WiseOne »

I don't at all mind turning this into a thread on working from home. I've discovered the joys of doing this 1 or 2 days a week when I'm not on a clinical service, and I love it. I feel like I spend less time actually working BUT I get a lot more done than I would at the workplace. One of my research mentors told me he's done this for years and strongly recommended it.

I bet jhogue is right that the new simplified home office deduction is designed to make life easier on tax auditors while reducing the value of the deduction for people who take it. I have no idea where in the country housing might cost only $5 a square foot per year. That would be a monthly rent of $400 for a 1,000 square foot apartment, for example. South Dakota maybe?

Maddy - have fun exploring the online freelance options (e.g. tutor.com). I'd looked into those for a bit of side income, that is before I started getting requests for expert medical opinions (to defend academic MDs from malpractice suits...a good cause). They provide you with a side income but not full benefits - for that you'd need a real job, which would come with all the stresses and loss of control that made you leave your city & law firm nest to begin with. From your previous posts, you really have enjoyed working on your farm, despite the physical hardships. Where do you stand on that now?
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue »

Part time grant writing contracts available at LinkedIn.com:

jobs-listings@linkedin.com
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

jhogue wrote:Part time grant writing contracts available at LinkedIn.com:

jobs-listings@linkedin.com
That link appears to be an e-mail address. It's causing my Outlook program to open up to a blank "compose message" screen. ? ? ?

Grant writing would be great fun.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue »

Try this one:
Part-Time Contract Grant Writer: Good Creations LLC

https://www.linkedin.com/comm/jobs/view ... nMug%3D%3D
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"