Math is cis-heteronormative racism!

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Math is cis-heteronormative racism!

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:07 pm

"We need to decouple success in mathematics from IQ. IQ is a social construct that cishet white men devised that defines “intelligence” on the basis of culture. Sadly, there is a direct correlation between high IQ and “earning” a PhD in a STEM discipline, which is all too reflective of how white cishet men have designed disciplinary concepts to reinforce their own power structures.

It is fundamentally unfair and marginalizing for IQ tests and mathematics curriculum to be designed around the same white supremacist, cisheteronormative standards, thus marginalizing women of color. What we need isn’t just “fair hiring;” we need a radical reconceptualization of mathematics in a decolonizing framework.

Our friends in the fine arts lead the way here. A century ago, white male composers like Beethoven and Mozart were considered mastered, while the authentic cultural expression of nonwhite peoples was denigrated using words I won’t repeat here. The advances of critical theory have helped guide musicians into recognizing that the music of the Bantu people is just as worthy of learning and study as that of any baroque composer…so should we not follow the same lead? Is not our problem is that we have allowed white cishet men (nearly all of whom had utterly disgusting views about race and gender) to define “mathematics,” “logic” and “proof” for us? We should recognize that there are many kinds of math, many kinds of logic, and many kinds of proof, and assemble a new concept of math from the mosaic of cultural expression that humanity affords.

It’s time for a new scientific revolution, if you ask me…this one led by the folks shut out of the last one."
- See more at: http://blogs.ams.org/inclusionexclusion ... omment-368
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Math is cis-heteronormative racism!

Post by ochotona » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:43 pm

Would an airplane designed with decolonized math fly? Would you take off in it?
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:03 am

Clicked expecting satire. Stayed for the intellectual trainwreck. Now I have a headache, as this kind of insane identity-laden mindset is truly toxic.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:14 am

Same. I really thought that there was no possible way whoever wrote that was in the least serious. Pretty scary stuff.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:52 am

Actually, the worst thing about that is that it is on the American Mathematical Society's web site, albeit in a blog.

Do they have no shame?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:53 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:Actually, the worst thing about that is that it is on the American Mathematical Society's web site, albeit in a blog.

Do they have no shame?
Apparently not. Lord have mercy.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:IQ is a social construct that cishet white men devised that defines “intelligence” on the basis of culture.
Well, at least I learned a couple of new words from the article....
Cishet, used as both an adjective and a noun, describes a person who is both cisgender and heterosexual. A person is cishet if he or she is cisgender, meaning identifying with his or her assigned-at-birth gender, as well as heterosexual, or attracted exclusively to people of the opposite sex.
Didn't realize that was such a bad thing. And apparently even worse if you're a white male too.

I can suggest another new word for someone who uses words like this in a publication - "fuloshet".
Simonjester wrote:
farjean2 wrote: "fuloshet".
O0
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:06 pm

It's a public blog. I bet not one poster, except the ones politely explaining why the decolonized math idea is thoroughly ridiculous, is an actual mathematician.

Thank heavens, because if the AMS actually had this stuff in an editorial or something then it would be time to hit the panic button.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:36 pm

ochotona wrote:Would an airplane designed with decolonized math fly? Would you take off in it?
That's too cis-heteronormative to even deserve a reply. :P
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:57 pm

The comment below hers (Raymond) sums it up pretty well-
oop, forgive the white male terminology, sums.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:33 pm

LOL. Reminds me of this gem from a while back.

Math is racist! REeeEEeEEE!!

https://youtu.be/7wIvXxCwcuI
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:18 pm

I suspect TomFoolery wrote this article, and that he was being 100% genuine.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:08 pm

Read the whole PDF. It's a masterpiece of meaningless sentences.....

https://equitablemath.org/wp-content/up ... TRIDE1.pdf

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:36 pm

pp4me wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:08 pm
Read the whole PDF. It's a masterpiece of meaningless sentences.....

https://equitablemath.org/wp-content/up ... TRIDE1.pdf

shitty textbook's cover
That tears it. I'm moving to Japan. Oh wait, they don't want me. 😂
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:53 pm

Found the problem in the PDF:
The focus is on getting the “right” answer
🚨 Racist!
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:08 pm

Simonjester wrote:
Examples of classroom actions that allegedly perpetuate white supremacy include asking students to show their work, focusing on getting the right answer, tracking student success, and grading students.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/asking-s ... =position1 it just gets worse from there and i stopped reading...
Worship of the written word is an alleged foundation of white supremacy culture
It seems like in fact these people are waging a battle against objectivity and truth, and one of their tools is to label these things which they don't like "white supremacy".

They take it for granted that everyone will be against white supremacy. I suppose they're trying to avoid being asked why they don't like objectivity and truth.
Simonjester wrote: i would listen to what you said Xan but you used the written word so.... ...white supremacist.. ::)
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:17 pm

Well put Xan! It's hard to miss the nuance that the media are using "white supremacist" as a catchword to label any point of view that differs from the preferred narrative. I guess they decided that was a better term than "Nazi" since most people recognized that as too obviously over the top.

I remember in years past, the Nation magazine arguing that a desire to live in a safe (as in crime-free) neighborhood with nice amenities like coffee shops was fundamentally racist and white supremacist. Nothing's really changed, has it?
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:32 pm

If a black person wants to live in a crime free neighborhood with nice amenities and uses the maths are they huwhite supremes too?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:26 am

I don't think that PDF really has anything to do with math. It's about injecting "white supremacy" into the classroom curriculum through every means possible. Everything else is just background noise and nonsense statements like...

"MAKE RIGOR ACCESSIBLE THROUGH STRONG AND THOUGHTFUL SCAFFOLDING".

If I'm a math teacher my response is WTF? It's hard to imagine any real math teacher taking this seriously but I guess you never know.

Next up is probably Physics where we will learn that E=White supremacists everywhere.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:49 am

I agree that PDF is bull. I don't understand how getting the right answer equates to white supremacy.

But I need to say, as I recently helped my younger one with a calculus problem -- I am a degreed engineer and I look back at how I was taught in high school and college, and for the most part it really was just all about getting the right answer. Did I understand what was going on? Not really a lot of the time.

Getting the right answer without understanding the underlying concept is how I went through too many math and engineering courses. And that was bad.

I had a very small number of teachers who actually tried to explain how and why certain math and engineering equations worked and how they pertained to real life, which was great.

But a lot didn't give a shit if you learned it or not.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:31 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:49 am
I agree that PDF is bull. I don't understand how getting the right answer equates to white supremacy.

But I need to say, as I recently helped my younger one with a calculus problem -- I am a degreed engineer and I look back at how I was taught in high school and college, and for the most part it really was just all about getting the right answer. Did I understand what was going on? Not really a lot of the time.

Getting the right answer without understanding the underlying concept is how I went through too many math and engineering courses. And that was bad.

I had a very small number of teachers who actually tried to explain how and why certain math and engineering equations worked and how they pertained to real life, which was great.

(truth) I had one math/science teacher in High School that was truly outstanding. And one in college. Pretty small sample. (fiction) Lucky for me my IQ is 756 and I could self-teach. ::) ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:04 am

Cortopassi wrote:

Yours is a fair criticism of your education. It's gotten much better: for me, most of the emphasis was on showing your work. If you showed your work and got the wrong answer, the teacher could see where you went wrong and give you partial credit, and you would know what to work on.

However, I just read an article somewhere yesterday that said that making kids show their work is white supremacy. So...
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:10 am

Xan wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:04 am
Cortopassi wrote:

Yours is a fair criticism of your education. It's gotten much better: for me, most of the emphasis was on showing your work. If you showed your work and got the wrong answer, the teacher could see where you went wrong and give you partial credit, and you would know what to work on.

However, I just read an article somewhere yesterday that said that making kids show their work is white supremacy. So...
My oldest, who is a math major, uses the show your work to her advantage a lot it seems, which makes sense to me.

I recall some professors giving credit for showing work if you were on the right path, but still got the wrong answer, and others did not.

In an engineering circuits class, for example, there were no opportunities to show work. it was multiple choice. And I vividly recall one multiple choice answer being:

A) 1
B) -1
C) 1 + i (imaginary numbers for those who don't know)
D) 1 - i

Once simple miss of a negative, while otherwise doing the problem right still got a zero.

I'm having PTSD right now.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:17 am

Question: What is 2 + 2
Answer: 3
Show Work: Black Lives Matter and all whites are racist

Not only correct but absolutely brilliant!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:57 am

pp4me wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:17 am
Question: What is 2 + 2
Answer: 3
Show Work: Black Lives Matter and all whites are racist

Not only correct but absolutely brilliant!
You're not that far off. Remember that kid who just wrote Black Lives Matter over and over again for his college admissions essay and got in? This wasn't some tabloid cherry picking part of a story. I saw the admissions office employees on camera.

Mao is great
Mao is great
Mao is great...
Simonjester wrote:
“You are a slow learner, Winston."
"How can I help it? How can I help but see what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."
"Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane.”
― George Orwell, 1984
😱