An enormously important book

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

An enormously important book

Post by Libertarian666 »

In which he proves the existence of parallel universes.

By page 53.

https://www.amazon.com/Fabric-Reality-P ... op?ie=UTF8
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: An enormously important book

Post by Jack Jones »

I started reading another one of his books (Beginning of Infinity), but lost interest. Maybe I'll give it another look since you respect his writing.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Jack Jones wrote:I started reading another one of his books (Beginning of Infinity), but lost interest. Maybe I'll give it another look since you respect his writing.
Thanks. Do you still have that other book? I've been thinking about buying it after I get through this one.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 »

I'm hearing more and more lately about the theory of parallel universes. I remember reading that Steven Hawking was once big on the idea but I thought he abandoned it. Googling on the subject just now I see that he is suggesting that going through a black hole might be a tunnel into a parallel universe after all. Reminds me of what I read about Einstein and Quantum mechanics. He made a lot of the initial discoveries but abandoned them until some real world tests proved them to be true.

Seems very unlikely the theory will ever be testable in my lifetime. Will have to settle for watching "The Man in the High Castle".
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

farjean2 wrote:I'm hearing more and more lately about the theory of parallel universes. I remember reading that Steven Hawking was once big on the idea but I thought he abandoned it. Googling on the subject just now I see that he is suggesting that going through a black hole might be a tunnel into a parallel universe after all. Reminds me of what I read about Einstein and Quantum mechanics. He made a lot of the initial discoveries but abandoned them until some real world tests proved them to be true.

Seems very unlikely the theory will ever be testable in my lifetime. Will have to settle for watching "The Man in the High Castle".
It's not a theory.

It's a fact.

Read the book up to page 53 and you'll see that he proves it.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 »

Libertarian666 wrote:
farjean2 wrote:I'm hearing more and more lately about the theory of parallel universes. I remember reading that Steven Hawking was once big on the idea but I thought he abandoned it. Googling on the subject just now I see that he is suggesting that going through a black hole might be a tunnel into a parallel universe after all. Reminds me of what I read about Einstein and Quantum mechanics. He made a lot of the initial discoveries but abandoned them until some real world tests proved them to be true.

It's not a theory.

It's a fact.

Can you summarize briefly how he proves it?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

farjean2 wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

It's not a theory.

It's a fact.

Can you summarize briefly how he proves it?
Yes.

The one-photon-at-a-time two-slit interference experiment proves that a photon can interfere with versions of itself that cannot be detected by any means other than such an experiment. The number of other versions of one photon is essentially unlimited, because you can move the slits wherever you want and you still get interference with them. These other versions of the photon cannot be in this universe, yet they exist.

Q. E. D.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 »

Libertarian666 wrote:
farjean2 wrote: Can you summarize briefly how he proves it?
Yes.

The one-photon-at-a-time two-slit interference experiment proves that a photon can interfere with versions of itself that cannot be detected by any means other than such an experiment. The number of other versions of one photon is essentially unlimited, because you can move the slits wherever you want and you still get interference with them. These other versions of the photon cannot be in this universe, yet they exist.

Q. E. D.
So basically, the author claims the existence of parallel universes is now a bona-fide "theory"?

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Yeah, that's miles away from a proof. A parallel universe is one guess as to the reason behind the results of the double-slit experiment.

Even if it did prove parallel universes (which it doesn't), it's even many more miles away from the popular conception of parallel universes, where we all have some Doppelgänger leading something resembling our own lives.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

That's why I didn't want to explain the proof.

It's only 53 pages, but that's a lot more than I can use to explain it here, even assuming that I understand it well enough to do so.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 »

Libertarian666 wrote:That's why I didn't want to explain the proof.

It's only 53 pages, but that's a lot more than I can use to explain it here, even assuming that I understand it well enough to do so.
Pretty sure I wouldn't understand the proof any way. I've read several books on quantum mechanics because it's a fascinating subject but if it gets bogged down too much in the details my high school physics education leaves me feeling completely lost. When it comes to quantum mechanics however there is this - Without quantum mechanics there would be no transistor, and hence no personal computer; no laser, and hence no Blu-ray players.

So I'm trying to imagine what real world application there might be based on the slot experiments you described in the future. Boggles the mind, if true.

Did the author offer a Schrodinger's cat like example of the phenomenon? Like we don't know what universe the cat in the box really belongs to until we open the box?

Really interesting stuff.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

farjean2 wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:That's why I didn't want to explain the proof.

Pretty sure I wouldn't understand the proof any way. I've read several books on quantum mechanics because it's a fascinating subject but if it gets bogged down too much in the details my high school physics education leaves me feeling completely lost. When it comes to quantum mechanics however there is this - Without quantum mechanics there would be no transistor, and hence no personal computer; no laser, and hence no Blu-ray players.

So I'm trying to imagine what real world application there might be based on the slot experiments you described in the future. Boggles the mind, if true.

Did the author offer a Schrodinger's cat like example of the phenomenon? Like we don't know what universe the cat in the box really belongs to until we open the box?

Really interesting stuff.
There is essentially no math in this book. I'm sure you will be able to follow the argument at least up until page 53.