Maybe they just think they are happier and more successful?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Maybe they just think they are happier and more successful?

Post by Tyler »

Just another lesson in correlation vs. causation.

So California marijuana smokers are more likely to have a Masters degree, make more money, and enjoy the outdoors? An alternative interpretation is simply that hedonistic professionals in LA and San Francisco smoke disproportionately more pot compared to their hard-working neighbors in the central valley.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Tyler wrote:Just another lesson in correlation vs. causation.
I've always suspected that Tech understands this quite well.

I haven't yet discovered the secret, but it seems that there is big money to be made by milking people that can't differentiate correlation from causation. Maybe it just requires a bit of character flaw that I am reluctant to embrace...
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Mark Leavy wrote:
I've always suspected that Tech understands this quite well.

I haven't yet discovered the secret, but it seems that there is big money to be made by milking people that can't differentiate correlation from causation. Maybe it just requires a bit of character flaw that I am reluctant to embrace...
8) And, by milking people who cannot differentiate between "my own" truth and "the" truth. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

So California marijuana smokers are more likely to have a Masters degree, make more money, and enjoy the outdoors? An alternative interpretation is simply that hedonistic professionals in LA and San Francisco smoke disproportionately more pot compared to their hard-working neighbors in the central valley.
Indeed this doesn't show causation.

But it does raise doubts about the standard narrative that pot smokers are lazy good-for-nothings.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

20 years daily and still Director of Business Intelligence at a fortune 400 company...
Time to look at marijuana in a different light.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

buddtholomew wrote:20 years daily and still Director of Business Intelligence at a fortune 400 company...
Did the company start at 1/400 and fall to 400/400 or vice versa or something in between? Is the director the most or least stoned of the management cadre? ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 »

Mountaineer wrote: 8) And, by milking people who cannot differentiate between "my own" truth and "the" truth. ;)
Care to elaborate about what that actually means. I suspect it belongs over in the religion thread and if so, don't bother.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

buddtholomew wrote:20 years daily and still Director of Business Intelligence at a fortune 400 company...
This kind of thing is already well known. Look up Dr. William Halstead, the first Professor of Surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was addicted to morphine for most of his professional life.

People destroy their lives and use recreational drugs, but there isn't necessarily a causal relationship between them.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

farjean2 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote: 8) And, by milking people who cannot differentiate between "my own" truth and "the" truth. ;)
Care to elaborate about what that actually means. I suspect it belongs over in the religion thread and if so, don't bother.
Sure. Your reply is an example of "my truth" vs "the truth". Think post-modern philosophy vs modern for understanding my original post that you had a suspicion about. Hope that helps.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 »

Mountaineer wrote:
farjean2 wrote:
Sure. Your reply is an example of "my truth" vs "the truth". Think post-modern philosophy vs modern for understanding my original post that you had a suspicion about. Hope that helps.
Not really but I'll leave it there.