Has everyone gone insane?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Has everyone gone insane?

Post by moda0306 »

stuper1 wrote:The media wants us to have a Pavlovian response where every time we see the word Russia we think of nuclear missiles headed our way from over the horizon after a big red button is pushed by a cold, ruthless, monomaniacal leader.

I'm trying to condition myself to a far more realistic reflexive response: every time I see the word Russia I imagine hearing the cha-ching of a cash register while visualizing the words Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon passing in front of my eyes.
"The media" wants us to buy shit they advertise too. Is it a valid discussion? Sure. But only so valid when a serial-lying buffoon had as much power as trump does. Watching folks bend over backwards to try to defend Trump to fight "the left" or "the establishment" is as much of a joke as any of the "media" bias.

There are people out there that can simultaneously rightfully deride for being a dangerous buffoon and simultaneously deride the establishment dems, establishment media and radical leftist dipshits. I'd highly suggest avoiding the pro-Trump drivel and read them.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

moda0306 wrote:There are people out there that can simultaneously rightfully deride for being a dangerous buffoon and simultaneously deride the establishment dems, establishment media and radical leftist dipshits. I'd highly suggest avoiding the pro-Trump drivel and read them.
Peggy Noonan's column from yesterday is (I think) a good example:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/democracy- ... 1495149082
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

moda0306 wrote: I didn't say proof. But he said absolutely unequivocally that there was absolutely no evidence. I'm assuming that he's relying on some sort of review of the facts beyond the fact that he hasn't had the evidence dropped directly in his lap.

I'm not asking for proof. Just sound analysis of the facts we do have that would yield such a stark statement.
Let's work through this logically. If Libertarian666 is correct and there is absolutely no evidence of the alleged collusion, what sort of "analysis" is there to be made? What sort of "facts" are capable of being brought forward?

On the other hand, if you know of facts--based upon actual evidence--that support the allegation of collusion, why aren't YOU making the case? Why isn't anyone?
Your article, no offense, didn't provide it. You probably weren't intending it to. But It just bitched about the "left" for paragraph after paragraph. It wreaked of partisan drivel in my eyes.
What struck me as particularly valuable about that article was that it pointed specifically to a large number of actual, specific instances in the recent past where the Left has abandoned all principle and engaged in wholesale intellectual dishonesty for the purpose of furthering an ideology. I'd be curious to know which of the specific examples cited in that article you take issue with.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Xan wrote:
moda0306 wrote:There are people out there that can simultaneously rightfully deride for being a dangerous buffoon and simultaneously deride the establishment dems, establishment media and radical leftist dipshits. I'd highly suggest avoiding the pro-Trump drivel and read them.
Dang. Looks like they make you subscribe. I'm looking forward to reading this and the unz article posted. Probably gonna have to wait until tomorrow morning.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Maddy wrote:
moda0306 wrote: I didn't say proof. But he said absolutely unequivocally that there was absolutely no evidence. I'm assuming that he's relying on some sort of review of the facts beyond the fact that he hasn't had the evidence dropped directly in his lap.

I'm not asking for proof. Just sound analysis of the facts we do have that would yield such a stark statement.
Let's work through this logically. If Libertarian666 is correct and there is absolutely no evidence of the alleged collusion, what sort of "analysis" is there to be made? What sort of "facts" are capable of being brought forward?

On the other hand, if you know of facts--based upon actual evidence--that support the allegation of collusion, why aren't YOU making the case? Why isn't anyone?
Your article, no offense, didn't provide it. You probably weren't intending it to. But It just bitched about the "left" for paragraph after paragraph. It wreaked of partisan drivel in my eyes.
What struck me as particularly valuable about that article was that it pointed specifically to a large number of actual, specific instances in the recent past where the Left has abandoned all principle and engaged in wholesale intellectual dishonesty for the purpose of furthering an ideology. I'd be curious to know which of the specific examples cited in that article you take issue with.
If tech is operating without published counter-analysis, but instead simply judging the facts as they are provided from the best sources (I'd hope we all agree that building your counter-arguments against the worst of your opposition is hardly sufficient) then I'd instead be curious the sources he's analyzed the claims evidence from.

Either way, something with some actual teeth would be nice.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

moda0306 wrote: If tech is operating without published counter-analysis, but instead simply judging the facts as they are provided from the best sources (I'd hope we all agree that building your counter-arguments against the worst of your opposition is hardly sufficient) then I'd instead be curious the sources he's analyzed the claims evidence from. Either way, something with some actual teeth would be nice.
Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that Tech has done absolutely nothing in the way of analysis. Let's say that he's come to his conclusion based solely upon the fact that none of the proponents of impeachment has come forward with anything even remotely sufficient to justify it. Wouldn't that be enough to make his case? [Channeling Celotex v. Catrett (when a defendant challenges, on summary judgment, a plaintiff's ability to prove one or more of the requisite elements of his case on which he bears the burden of proof, and the plaintiff fails to come forward with competent and admissible evidence sufficient to make out a prima facie case, summary judgment of dismissal is warranted since there can be no genuine issue of material fact when there is a complete failure of proof).]

Why don't we just cut to the chase and have you lay out what YOU think are the facts and evidence that justify these proceedings?
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Maddy wrote:
moda0306 wrote: If tech is operating without published counter-analysis, but instead simply judging the facts as they are provided from the best sources (I'd hope we all agree that building your counter-arguments against the worst of your opposition is hardly sufficient) then I'd instead be curious the sources he's analyzed the claims evidence from. Either way, something with some actual teeth would be nice.
Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that Tech has done absolutely nothing in the way of analysis. Let's say that he's come to his conclusion based solely upon the fact that none of the proponents of impeachment has come forward with anything even remotely sufficient to justify it. Wouldn't that be enough to make his case? [Channeling Celotex v. Catrett (when a defendant challenges, on summary judgment, a plaintiff's ability to prove one or more of the requisite elements of his case on which he bears the burden of proof, and the plaintiff fails to come forward with competent and admissible evidence sufficient to make out a prima facie case, summary judgment of dismissal is warranted since there can be no genuine issue of material fact when there is a complete failure of proof).]

Why don't we just cut to the chase and have you lay out what YOU think are the facts and evidence that justify these proceedings?
Only some are calling for impeachment. That specifically limiting research to the most ardent opponents of Trump, and probably the most obvious players.

I'm trying to figure out who is worth reading or listening to. Not just observe tribal political banter devoid of research. The only evidence I could provide are the names of journalists and podcasters on these topics. Obviously limited of course. I am not smart or informed enough to be able to digest all the barrage of sources. Put another way, I can't perfectly identify really good analysis. But identifying bad or incomplete analysis isn't all that difficult, and that's all I seem to see on this board nowadays. I'm not saying I can do much better, mind you.

Most of my sources consist of Glenn Greenwald, Jeremy Scahill, Noam Chomsky, Sam Harris (sorta... he's more of an indirect conduit to other sources I couldn't name), and put on the spot with a couple beers in me I couldn't name more off hand.

To simplify my "narrative," I guess I'd say I haven't seen one analysis that doesn't include trump being an inept, dangerous baffoon that I've found to be valuable. And that includes many that analyze Hillary and several other recent presidents and candidates as being awful apte natives in their own way. Most conclude that the president simply his way too much unilateral power. Hope that helps. :/
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Maddy wrote:

Thank you.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

I was just perusing the news, and it seems that Alan Derschowitz--famed law professor and legal analyst of decidedly liberal persuasion--has gone on record stating that even if the allegations against Trump were true, there still would be no crime for the special prosecutor to charge. So it's not just an absence of evidence; it's the absence of even a legally consequential allegation. http://www.wnd.com/2017/05/dershowitz-s ... g=politics
Last edited by Maddy on Sat May 20, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Fascinating. Of course, Dershowitz may not realize that while this statement may be factually correct, it will in no way limit what a special prosecutor will go after:
a prosecutor is only allowed to look for evidence of a federal crime.
Just ask Ken Starr. This is the Clinton era all over again. Yes he came up with a perjury charge...but that was after spending years on nothing more than a witch hunt, and it wasn't the original motivation for pursing the Monica Lewinsky story. And note that even then, the impeachment failed.

I fully expect that exact scenario to play out, which is sad...it crippled the Clinton presidency and will cripple Trump as well. He had ideas that could do some real good in this country, but hey, who cares about that.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

This is interesting. http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/05 ... t-made-up/

It examines each of the individual allegations on which the call for impeachment and the appointment of a special prosecutor have been based. Not a one has held up to scrutiny.

You know, the really obvious problem with the normalization of this kind of witch hunt mentality is that it cuts both ways. When the state comes for your kids, making some outlandish, impossible-to-disprove allegation against you, you can thank these ideologues and their ilk for destroying yet another bedrock principle of the justice system.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

moda0306 wrote:I'm trying to figure out who is worth reading or listening to. Not just observe tribal political banter devoid of research. The only evidence I could provide are the names of journalists and podcasters on these topics. Obviously limited of course. I am not smart or informed enough to be able to digest all the barrage of sources. Put another way, I can't perfectly identify really good analysis. But identifying bad or incomplete analysis isn't all that difficult, and that's all I seem to see on this board nowadays. I'm not saying I can do much better, mind you. . .
/
I think we're all struggling to find our bearings and to ferret out the truth. I can't think of a time when there's been so much misinformation, and so little reluctance on the part of the media to broadcast a lie in the interest of deceiving others. Although you and I find ourselves on pretty much opposite ends of the political spectrum, I do value your perspective and appreciate your emphasis on critical analysis. :)
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

moda0306 wrote:
Xan wrote:
Dang. Looks like they make you subscribe. I'm looking forward to reading this and the unz article posted. Probably gonna have to wait until tomorrow morning.
Sorry... I'm not a subscriber myself, and it worked for me the other day. Maybe they show their really popular ones for free for a while.