Trump tax plan?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Trump tax plan?

Post by bedraggled » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:21 pm

As best as I can determine, Trump will collapse the 28% and 33% brackets down to the 25% bracket. The new 25% bracket may apply to many of us here on the Forum. I imagine the 25% bracket, when implemented, would be beneficial.

How is my assessment?
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump tax plan?

Post by Maddy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:37 pm

The Internal Revenue Code, to the best that I can recall, spans something like six shelves. Yet their idea of "simplification" always seems to amount to reducing the number of brackets.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:52 am

Maddy wrote:The Internal Revenue Code, to the best that I can recall, spans something like six shelves. Yet their idea of "simplification" always seems to amount to reducing the number of brackets.
Brackets that hold up the shelf? ;)
Vocation - doing what God has given me to do for the sake of the other.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:02 am

So, will the 28% and 33% brackets disappear and fold into the 25% bracket?

Looking for opinions from this thoughtful group.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:09 am

It depends on what happens with deductions. The big one of course is the state/local tax deduction. Blue state residents will get creamed, and the tax increase will more than offset the rate reduction for most people. Over 10% of my income goes to state/local income and property taxes. I realize that this deduction acts as an enabler for certain states to overspend, and that it probably is a good thing in the long term to take away the crutch - but there will be a lot of short term pain, and instead of tackling the causes of the overspending (pensions, early retirement for city workers, corruption, expensive welfare programs) people will spend their energy complaining about Trump.

I agree with Maddy. Tax simplification should mean reducing the complexity of rules for deductions, extra taxes etc. Reducing the number of brackets doesn't simplify anything, it will only change some numbers in the tax table. A big increase in the standard deduction will help for most people, but it still won't bring US taxes in line with, say, Canada's income tax system, where you can file your taxes on a postcard.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:03 pm

bedraggled wrote:So, will the 28% and 33% brackets disappear and fold into the 25% bracket?

Looking for opinions from this thoughtful group.
I presume we're still talking about marginal tax brackets, but who knows. If they're talking about a flat 25% tax assessed on both your first and last dollar of income, there could be some rude surprises.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:18 pm

Standard deduction according to the unofficial descriptions out there is supposed to increase to $25K/$50K, so presumably that will take care of the problem of losing the 10 & 15% tax brackets. It will also increase the number of people who don't owe taxes. Not a bad move.

It will also make it easier to get rid of the mortgage interest deduction eventually. It's already not helpful for people on the low end of the salary & home value scale, and an increased standard deduction with only two things you can deduct (mortgage interest & charitable contributions) means that you'd have to be a lot wealthier than pretty much anyone on this forum to itemize.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:22 pm

Doesn't that also amount to killing the charitable contribution deduction? Is that such a good thing?
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:44 pm

Does anyone care to make a conjecture on the final form of the new tax plan?
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:08 pm

From what I understand reading early reports, they're proposing doubling the standard deduction while eliminating virtually every other deduction except for mortgage interest and charitable contributions. IMHO, that's a pretty legit simplification that I can totally get on board with.

Blue states will kick and scream about how losing the state tax deduction will harm them the most, but IMHO the tax code has disproportionately favored blue states for too long. They'll still be getting the benefit of the mortgage interest deduction that most people in normally-priced homes don't get, so I think that's a fair trade.

Overall, I like it.
Mechanical engineer, history buff, treasure manager... totally not Ben Gates
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:21 pm

I don't like the effects on the public debt. These cuts won't pay for themselves. But they will save me thousands, if enacted.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Tyler wrote:From what I understand reading early reports, they're proposing doubling the standard deduction while eliminating virtually every other deduction except for mortgage interest and charitable contributions. IMHO, that's a pretty legit simplification that I can totally get on board with.

Blue states will kick and scream about how losing the state tax deduction will harm them the most, but IMHO the tax code has disproportionately favored blue states for too long. They'll still be getting the benefit of the mortgage interest deduction that most people in normally-priced homes don't get, so I think that's a fair trade.

Overall, I like it.
I haven't studied it yet, but if it turns out to be as you described it Tyler, I like it too. Unfortunately, the national debt will climb .... but I suppose that's inevitable with any presidency these days.