The Secret War in Laos

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

The Secret War in Laos

Post by farjean2 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:01 pm

I was watching a show on the National Geographic channel last night about the Secret War in Laos. I was already familiar with the story but it is good to be reminded at times, especially at a time when we are accusing others of committing war crimes and demanding they be brought to justice.

One statistic I had never heard before was that at the current pace of removing all of the unexploded ordinance left behind by the U.S. bombing campaign it will take approximately 2000 to 3000 YEARS to complete the task.

http://legaciesofwar.org/about-laos/secret-war-laos/

From 1964 to 1973, the U.S. dropped more than two million tons of ordnance on Laos during 580,000 bombing missions—equal to a planeload of bombs every 8 minutes, 24-hours a day, for 9 years - making Laos the most heavily bombed country per capita in history.....

Here are some other startling facts about the U.S. bombing of Laos and its tragic aftermath:

Over 270 million cluster bombs were dropped on Laos during the Vietnam War (210 million more bombs than were dropped on Iraq in 1991, 1998 and 2006 combined); up to 80 million did not detonate.

Nearly 40 years on, less than 1% of these munitions have been destroyed.More than half of all confirmed cluster munitions casualties in the world have occurred in Laos.

Each year there are now just under 50 new casualties in Laos, down from 310 in 2008. Close to 60% of the accidents result in death, and 40% of the victims are children.

Between 1993 and 2016, the U.S. contributed on average $4.9M per year for UXO clearance in Laos; the U.S. spent $13.3M per day (in 2013 dollars) for nine years bombing Laos.

In just ten days of bombing Laos, the U.S. spent $130M (in 2013 dollars), or more than it has spent in clean up over the past 24 years ($118M).
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: The Secret War in Laos

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:02 pm

That's terrible.

Not only the # of bombs, but the number unexploded. What crappy quality control. Almost 30% didn't work? I hope some company lost a contract. If our product didn't work 30% of the time, we wouldn't be in business.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:16 pm

It's funny, isn't it. War.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:10 am

MangoMan wrote:I knew it was bad, but this is just mind boggling. How sad.
Yes it is. In the documentary I watched, an American was going through the countryside trying to help people deal with pain in phantom limbs that weren't there any more using new techniques. Do you know anybody with missing limbs from un-exploded ordinance in your neighborhood? I don't but it seems to be quite common in Laos.

As I understand it, similar things happened in Cambodia too.

Although I was just a two-bit, enlisted nobody I had some direct involvement in this atrocity so it really hits home to me.

The article says it happened from 1964 to 1973. I think it was mostly Nixon who was to blame although the year 1964 would lay it at the feet of LBJ as the instigator. If those two men weren't war criminals then what is the definition of a war criminal any way?
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:36 am

farjean2 wrote:
MangoMan wrote:I knew it was bad, but this is just mind boggling. How sad.
Yes it is. In the documentary I watched, an American was going through the countryside trying to help people deal with pain in phantom limbs that weren't there any more using new techniques. Do you know anybody with missing limbs from un-exploded ordinance in your neighborhood? I don't but it seems to be quite common in Laos.

As I understand it, similar things happened in Cambodia too.

Although I was just a two-bit, enlisted nobody I had some direct involvement in this atrocity so it really hits home to me.

The article says it happened from 1964 to 1973. I think it was mostly Nixon who was to blame although the year 1964 would lay it at the feet of LBJ as the instigator. If those two men weren't war criminals then what is the definition of a war criminal any way?
The more I look at this stuff, the worse it looks. To make mattered worse, we weren't fighting dictatorial authoritarianism in the form of Communism. We were fighting economic nationalism. Aka any movement that didn't want to sell their resources out to American companies. I'm convinced our conflict with Cuba had far more to do with kicking out American companies than their eventual cozy relationship with Russia.

Smedley Butler realized this in 1935. It took me til 2015 to even start to crack my shell. I would highly suggest listening to a YouTube recording of his relatively short book, War is a Racket, to start to realize the depth of the corruption. A permanent war-time state is so toxic, and its embarrassing I didn't realize it sooner.

I've also heard "People's History of the United States" is a good read by Howard Zinn, but I haven't tapped that.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:32 pm

moda0306 wrote: I've also heard "People's History of the United States" is a good read by Howard Zinn, but I haven't tapped that.
Yes, that's a good read. Gives you a version of American History you don't get in school. After I read it, I also read Paul Johnson's "A History of the American People" which was written as kind of a counter-balance to Zinn's book.

Ken Burns has a PBS documentary coming out on the Vietnam War in the fall, I believe. Should be interesting. I don't think most Americans have a clue what a sordid affair it was so I hope he lays it all bare.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:07 am

Folks should watch The Trials of Henry Kissinger... not the least of which should be so-called liberals who support Hillary Clinton, who is pretty tight with the scoundrel.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:It's funny, isn't it. War.
Just think of how much more funny it could have been if we had actually been at war with Laos.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:37 pm

farjean2 wrote:
Just think of how much more funny it could have been if we had actually been at war with Laos.
I think if we could have been open about it, someone would have given Studies and Observation Group teams* the acronym LICE.

* Small 3-5 man teams inserted deep behind enemy lines to rescue airmen and cause general chaos.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:51 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
farjean2 wrote:
I think if we could have been open about it, someone would have given Studies and Observation Group teams* the acronym LICE.

* Small 3-5 man teams inserted deep behind enemy lines to rescue airmen and cause general chaos.
There WERE American boots on the ground in Laos....

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/us/s ... .html?_r=0
To hide American involvement, teams wore Asian uniforms with no rank and often carried foreign-made weapons. Even underwear and rations were from Asian countries. They called it “going in sterile.”
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:58 pm

farjean2 wrote:
Kriegsspiel wrote:
farjean2 wrote:

There WERE American boots on the ground in Laos....

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/us/s ... .html?_r=0
To hide American involvement, teams wore Asian uniforms with no rank and often carried foreign-made weapons. Even underwear and rations were from Asian countries. They called it “going in sterile.”
Yes. The SOG teams...
"The medic, Sgt. Gary Rose, was part of the secret Studies and Observations Group, an elite division of Special Forces. After the assault, the group recommended him for the military’s highest award, the Medal of Honor. But at the time, President Richard M. Nixon was denying that American troops were even in Laos. "
Marlb10
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Marlb10 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:19 am

Wow! Is this really true? Damn man that is terrible.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Marlb10 wrote:Wow! Is this really true? Damn man that is terrible.
Unfortunately yes. Not just Laos but Cambodia too. Had some involvement with the latter myself.

Vietnam still has major problems with unexploded ordinance too, mostly in the South which we were supposedly there to save. We lost the war but I guess we left them lots of parting gifts to remember us by.
Marlb10
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Marlb10 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:13 am

farjean2 wrote:
Marlb10 wrote:Wow! Is this really true? Damn man that is terrible.
Unfortunately yes. Not just Laos but Cambodia too. Had some involvement with the latter myself.

Vietnam still has major problems with unexploded ordinance too, mostly in the South which we were supposedly there to save. We lost the war but I guess we left them lots of parting gifts to remember us by.

Well, this is true and I couldn't agree more. These are the gifts every war leaves behind.