Will United Airlines offer incentives to book with them?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will United Airlines offer incentives to book with them?

Post by WiseOne »

Libertarian666 wrote:The airline industry is mostly a coercive monopoly (oligopoly) because the US government prohibits foreign competitors from carrying passengers from one point to another in the US unless the route in question includes a foreign country. Thus, British Airways (for example) cannot carry passengers originating from New York to terminate in Los Angeles; only US-based airlines can do this. Obviously allowing such competition would be very likely to improve service and reduce costs, but this is up to the government to change.
The government could have prevented the mergers that led to this state of affairs. The result was easy to predict: higher prices, worse service, and frankly abusive practices. The only weapon that consumers have left in their arsenal is the camera on their iPhones, leading to random US senators calling for investigations.

It would be useful if a true journalist, if any even exist anymore, could have investigated the reasons behind these mergers. Perhaps it was creeping or post-9/11 over-regulation, for example. But I couldn't find any article even venturing to speculate.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

tech, you seem to know a lot about companies for someone who shuns stocks.
Is it just a personal interest, or you had to learn this stuff for work?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

dualstow wrote:tech, you seem to know a lot about companies for someone who shuns stocks.
Is it just a personal interest, or you had to learn this stuff for work?
I read a lot about financial and political topics because I want to have some idea what is going on the world aside from what I observe personally.

Also, I used to run a standard 4x25 PP, so I spent quite a bit of time learning about the stock and bond markets.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 »

Just got an email from Google flights to inform me of a $506 price drop for two tickets to Sydney, Australia in September.

Guess which Airlines.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

That was a crazy list. This song pretty much covers the bases: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKpQRjj_WbU

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy. ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.