Re: is the retail bubble bursting?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:12 pm

What kinds of opportunities does this create?

Specifically, if someone had the means to buy a modest retail location and repurpose it for something other than retail?

Or any other opportunities?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:19 am

Simonjester wrote: another domino falls.. sears has filed for bankruptcy, has plans to shut 142 locations, is $5.6 billion in debt, they have had to sell off major brands.. and the ceo has just stepped down.
It’s depressing. I grew up with Sears, and so did a bunch of you, I’m sure. Some articles say it could have been Amazon. Eddie Lampert never really executed a clear plan.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:00 am

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:36 am
dualstow wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:19 am
Simonjester wrote: another domino falls.. sears has filed for bankruptcy, has plans to shut 142 locations, is $5.6 billion in debt, they have had to sell off major brands.. and the ceo has just stepped down.
It’s depressing. I grew up with Sears, and so did a bunch of you, I’m sure. Some articles say it could have been Amazon. Eddie Lampert never really executed a clear plan.
Not really that sad. They were once a powerhouse in retail, but I watched them go from a decent place to shop in the 60s to a store that sold Walmart quality merchandise at almost Macy's pricing by the late 90s. It was a recipe for the disaster that resulted. The only thing worth buying there was Craftsman tools and Kenmore appliances.
Both of those went downhill a while back. They killed the famous Craftsman warranty a long time ago, and then sold the brand to somebody else. Kenmores were all manufactured by other companies and then rebadged.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:00 am

Fair enough. Maybe it's misplaced nostalgia on my part.
I haven't shopped there in a while because I haven't had a car for many decades now.

Also, ten years ago I tried to have a Sears dishwasher delivered and installed. The cranky third party installer wanted me to reserve a parking space in the city, which I managed. Called Sears the night before to make sure the unit was ready and some kid offhandedly said "yeah", but it sounded like a big party in the background. Next morning, cranky contractor informed me they went to pick it up, and it was not ready.
Sears tried to give me a discount and I said, "I don't want you to have my business." I'm just remembering now that it was Sears. O0
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:19 pm

Yeah, it's a piece of iconic America gone for sure. I think/agree, Sears has been on the slide for a long time but the Hedge Fund dudes clearly mismanaged it and were more interested in sucking it dry using financial wizardry than to turn the business around.

But lots of business icons have been destroyed and more will be in the future for sure. The irony of Sears is they literally were the Amazon of their day and with decent foresight who knows there may not have been an Amazon. However, I think everyone is captured by their past and experience and by the time Amazon came around Sears was clearly a big box mall retail outfit.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 am

Jim Cramer just referred to (maybe quoted an article as referring to) Eddie Lampert as Capt Ahab. Perfect.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:35 am

For the past 20 years, Sears has been a place we parked, at the mall, and walked through to get to other stores, because there were the least amount of cars parked in front of Sears.

I last bought a bandsaw there 2 years ago, washer/dryer 21 years ago (still working...) and 2 vacuums.

Haven't bought clothes there since my mother used to when I was a kid. I recall the sizing was called "husky"
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:25 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:35 am
Haven't bought clothes there since my mother used to when I was a kid. I recall the sizing was called "husky"
O0 I had forgotten about that! Or was that their brand of jeans? Nope it's the fit. Just looked it up.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:41 pm

I was a husky kid. Fat is more like it. My grandparents lived with us, my grandma cooked all the time... I ate all the time. Italian, if you couldn't tell by my name.

"Peak" Huskiness, 6th grade. Peak hair too. The shirt, seriously, was probably from Sears.

Last edited by Cortopassi on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:41 pm
I was a husky kid. Fat is more like it. My grandparents lived with us, my grandma cooked all the time... I ate all the time. Italian, if you couldn't tell by my name.
Mmm, jealous. My mom's a good cook, but I would have loved an Italian grandmother's cooking.
Ha. Nice pic!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:57 pm

I love Italian food ... and hair. I eat a lot of the former and have very, very little of the latter. O0
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
geaux saints

Post by geaux saints » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:57 pm
I love Italian food ... and hair. I eat a lot of the former and have very, very little of the latter. O0
Story of my life.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:03 am

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1481 ... 60384.html

While I guess piracy could affect brick-n-mortar stores resupply as well, it doesn't directly affect the consumer. Another con for online shopping.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:18 pm

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:49 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:03 am
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1481 ... 60384.html

While I guess piracy could affect brick-n-mortar stores resupply as well, it doesn't directly affect the consumer. Another con for online shopping.
More.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:22 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:18 pm
Unrelated, but kind of related: FedEx wants to install anti-missile lasers in its cargo jets.
Somebody has to say it: first, get your employees to actually knock on my door before you drop the package and run.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:03 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:22 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:18 pm
Unrelated, but kind of related: FedEx wants to install anti-missile lasers in its cargo jets.
Somebody has to say it: first, get your employees to actually knock on my door before you drop the package and run.

I can SO relate to this ^

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:07 pm

Speaking of books, those stories made me think of Snow Crash.