900 Lb. Gorilla In The Room

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

900 Lb. Gorilla In The Room

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:31 pm

Flying under the radar of all the bickering about restroom rights and Russians, the big picture is not getting any better.
Break down that national and state and local debt by the number of US citizens, and we find that we each – every man, woman, and child – owe over $70,000. Worse yet, the total debt per taxpayer is over $190,000 and rising fast. If you include unfunded liabilities, the total debt per taxpayer rises to around $1.2 million, give or take.
http://ggc-mauldin-images.s3.amazonaws. ... 8_TFTF.pdf

Includes data on the intake of various taxes, and who pays them.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: 900 Lb. Gorilla In The Room

Post by ochotona » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:34 pm

I can't see how the US Dollar can possibly survive with any purchasing power over the long haul.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:00 am

If I owe my wife $1,000,000 and she owes me $1,500,000 does the grocery store owner care about our debts when we walk in to buy a loaf of bread?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:42 am

Mountaineer wrote:If I owe my wife $1,000,000 and she owes me $1,500,000 does the grocery store owner care about our debts when we walk in to buy a loaf of bread?
If you try to pay with an IOU, yes.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:59 am

ochotona wrote:I can't see how the US Dollar can possibly survive with any purchasing power over the long haul.
It can't. Which is why we have gold.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:47 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
ochotona wrote:I can't see how the US Dollar can possibly survive with any purchasing power over the long haul.
I never get those commercials on Fox where William Devane shows what the U.S. debt is and says that now is the time to buy gold.

Just what is the relationship between U.S. debt and the price of gold any way? Is there any tangible evidence of a relationship? Best I can figure is that he's saying that with all that debt everything's going to come crashing down so you better have gold to be safe. He could be right and he could be wrong but how does anybody know what the outcome of a 19.5 trillion dollar for a country like the U.S.A. is going to be? What statistics do you have to go on? And how do you know gold will be safe in a catastrophic event like what he's predicting?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:59 pm

farjean2 wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
I never get those commercials on Fox where William Devane shows what the U.S. debt is and says that now is the time to buy gold.

Just what is the relationship between U.S. debt and the price of gold any way? Is there any tangible evidence of a relationship? Best I can figure is that he's saying that with all that debt everything's going to come crashing down so you better have gold to be safe. He could be right and he could be wrong but how does anybody know what the outcome of a 19.5 trillion dollar for a country like the U.S.A. is going to be? What statistics do you have to go on? And how do you know gold will be safe in a catastrophic event like what he's predicting?
Please name a single case when a totally fiat currency has lasted more than a few decades.

I can't think of any offhand.

As for whether gold will be safe, please name a time when it has lost all its value.

I can't think of any cases like that either.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:10 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
farjean2 wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

Please name a single case when a totally fiat currency has lasted more than a few decades.

As for whether gold will be safe, please name a time when it has lost all its value.

Well, I'm a PP'er so obviously I believe in the value of gold and I'm not arguing against it in a balanced portfolio.

I honestly can't name a single case where a totally fiat currency has lasted more than a few decades but then I haven't spent much time thinking about it. If it's true that has never happened is there some universal law that says it can't and specifies a maximum time limit? Or that 19.5 trillion dollars in debt in a country of X number of people with GDP of X is the tipping point?

Also can't name a time when gold lost all its value. As a human I'm more concerned with whether all those gold coins will keep me and my family from starving to death if things get so bad you would need to use them to transact business. Maybe people will value something more than gold. Maybe bullets, or even food.

Just a matter of balance the way I see it.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:47 pm

It can't. That is the beauty of fiat money from the government's standpoint. They want inflation; they need inflation. For them, it's the most perfect tax ever devised. Nothing else is even close.

Ironically, the lack of inflation is making the deficit problem more ominous. I don't see any way out except inflation, which would be a Pyrrhic victory.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:45 pm

farjean2 wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
farjean2 wrote:

Well, I'm a PP'er so obviously I believe in the value of gold and I'm not arguing against it in a balanced portfolio.

I honestly can't name a single case where a totally fiat currency has lasted more than a few decades but then I haven't spent much time thinking about it. If it's true that has never happened is there some universal law that says it can't and specifies a maximum time limit? Or that 19.5 trillion dollars in debt in a country of X number of people with GDP of X is the tipping point?

Also can't name a time when gold lost all its value. As a human I'm more concerned with whether all those gold coins will keep me and my family from starving to death if things get so bad you would need to use them to transact business. Maybe people will value something more than gold. Maybe bullets, or even food.

Just a matter of balance the way I see it.
I don't know when the end of the dollar will come. Neither does anyone else, because it cannot be known in advance.

But that it will end one day is about as certain as anything other than the laws of physics.

BTW, there is only one circumstance in which a person of moderate means can multiply his wealth many-fold in a short period of time without taking undue risk: as a result of a currency reformation. This is quite likely to happen one of these days, but as mentioned above the timing is impossible to know. If it does happen, those with gold will be very happy about the change in their wealth, even if other circumstances may be difficult.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:06 pm

I want to be able to go on Bogleheads when that happens. :)
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:28 pm

I Shrugged wrote:I want to be able to go on Bogleheads when that happens. :)
You aren't the only one. :D
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:36 pm

Libertarian666 wrote: I don't know when the end of the dollar will come. Neither does anyone else, because it cannot be known in advance.

But that it will end one day is about as certain as anything other than the laws of physics.

BTW, there is only one circumstance in which a person of moderate means can multiply his wealth many-fold in a short period of time without taking undue risk: as a result of a currency reformation. This is quite likely to happen one of these days, but as mentioned above the timing is impossible to know. If it does happen, those with gold will be very happy about the change in their wealth, even if other circumstances may be difficult.
So, here's my question: when that day of currency reformation happens, is it only physical gold that helps, or will paper gold (i.e., ETFs like IAU) work properly to help someone like me?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:22 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote: I don't know when the end of the dollar will come. Neither does anyone else, because it cannot be known in advance.

So, here's my question: when that day of currency reformation happens, is it only physical gold that helps, or will paper gold (i.e., ETFs like IAU) work properly to help someone like me?
I wouldn't rely on anything complicated like ETFs to survive a phase change like that.

Physical gold stored in a vault in a reliable country, like Switzerland, should be okay.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:30 pm

It may just end not with a bang, but with a whimper.