Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Bitcoin Costs More than Gold?

Post by bitcoininthevp » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:53 pm

LC475 wrote:
bitcoininthevp wrote:I believe future value of many (all?) of the ICOs (Initial Coin Offerings) and altcoins are likely to trend to zero.
Including Ethereum?
Yes.
LC475 wrote: By the way, did you take the five minutes? ;)
Spent years following and thinking about this. Still waiting for your genius to enlighten the entirety of the bitcoin community as to what was missed from the existing list: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Weaknesses
LC475
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by LC475 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:17 am

I don't know how to delete a post.
Last edited by LC475 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LC475
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by LC475 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:06 pm

TennPaGa wrote:I believe that bitcoininthevp is here with an open mind and wishes to interact with a community of posters with broad-ranging views.
I never said he wasn't!
Please stop the condescending schtick, LC475, or you will be banned. This is your last warning. You can start by deleting the last post.
I think it is time to realize that it's not a schtick. I am condescending and I am a jerk.

I apologize to everyone I've offended here. Seriously. I do. You're great people, and what's clear to me now is that I'm not. I have no place here. I am just a jerk. A last warning is pointless. Obviously it would only happen again. I have enough understanding of human nature to know that. If posting a bunch of funny (I thought) animations about Bitcoin going to the Moon is a bannable offense, then obviously, obviously I have no self-awareness, no social skills, and am so far gone and so much of a jerk to not even realize how much of a jerk I am.

You need to prevent evaporative cooling. See here: http://blogs.cornell.edu/info2040/2015/ ... l-network/ . So, I get it. I am probably a low quality participant, maybe even a negative-quality participant, and my inborn obnoxiousness will drive away all the good people. People like me shouldn't go out in public, and that includes the internet.

Thanks for the conversations over the years. Sorry to bring you all down.

Permanent Portfolio Forever!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:57 pm

LC475 wrote:
TennPaGa wrote:I believe that bitcoininthevp is here with an open mind and wishes to interact with a community of posters with broad-ranging views.
I never said he wasn't!
Please stop the condescending schtick, LC475, or you will be banned. This is your last warning. You can start by deleting the last post.
I think it is time to realize that it's not a schtick. I am condescending and I am a jerk.

I apologize to everyone I've offended here. Seriously. I do. You're great people, and what's clear to me now is that I'm not. I have no place here. I am just a jerk. A last warning is pointless. Obviously it would only happen again. I have enough understanding of human nature to know that. If posting a bunch of funny (I thought) animations about Bitcoin going to the Moon is a bannable offense, then obviously, obviously I have no self-awareness, no social skills, and am so far gone and so much of a jerk to not even realize how much of a jerk I am.

You need to prevent evaporative cooling. See here: http://blogs.cornell.edu/info2040/2015/ ... l-network/ . So, I get it. I am probably a low quality participant, maybe even a negative-quality participant, and my inborn obnoxiousness will drive away all the good people. People like me shouldn't go out in public, and that includes the internet.

Thanks for the conversations over the years. Sorry to bring you all down.

Permanent Portfolio Forever!
Illigetimi non carborundum. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:03 pm

I would just like to say, not all members' departures are my fault.
Only some. O0 (Also, my current sig refers to Sean Spicer).
RIP Marcello Gandini
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:43 pm

Very close to $5000 a bitcoin. Insanity.

The thing I think about when comparing bitcoin to gold:

Would you rather own all the gold in the world or all the bitcoin in the world?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:57 pm

whatchamacallit wrote:Very close to $5000 a bitcoin. Insanity.

The thing I think about when comparing bitcoin to gold:

Would you rather own all the gold in the world or all the bitcoin in the world?
Actually, neither of those would be a particularly good idea.

But I think it is obvious which of those two would be better...
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:58 pm

I guess all the bitcoin in the world would amount to $0, as no one would want to participate. Gold could be sold just for being shiny and workable. But, if I had all the bitcoin in the world, I would enjoy quietly deleting it. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:58 pm

dualstow wrote:I guess all the bitcoin in the world would amount to $0, as no one would want to participate. Gold could be sold just for being shiny and workable. But, if I had all the bitcoin in the world, I would enjoy quietly deleting it. O0
Someone in the world has owned all available bitcoin actually. It was satoshi, the creator. He owned all the early issued coins. Which at the time were all of the available supply.

And the coins did indeed have $0 value.

People, for whatever reason, wanted to start participating.

Even after others joined in, the coins had $0 in USD exchange value.

For years. $0 value.

And yet here we are.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:42 am

A valid point.
But still, spend it while you can.
RIP Marcello Gandini
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:14 pm

Soon to be offered through as far as I know, the legitimate Robinhood.

https://crypto.robinhood.com/

Bitcoin has been up almost 2000% and currently 1000% since it passed gold and I still don't understand it.
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:07 pm

whatchamacallit wrote: Bitcoin has been up almost 2000% and currently 1000% since it passed gold and I still don't understand it.
Rule #9: Don't ever do anything you don't understand.

Which I suppose, in this scenario, means either understand crypto or stay away. Or both! ;D
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:54 pm

whatchamacallit wrote:Soon to be offered through as far as I know, the legitimate Robinhood.

https://crypto.robinhood.com/

Bitcoin has been up almost 2000% and currently 1000% since it passed gold and I still don't understand it.
Last Ive seen Robinhood has over 1,000,000 people in line for the crypto platform. Its quite amazing.