Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Watching Wikipedia's extinction event from a distance

Post by vnatale »

Ad Orientem wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:14 pm
vnatale wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:11 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:15 pm Let’s say a person has a dozen books published by major publishers, three of which have been translated into other languages, dozens of articles in trade publications, and is the first inventor on a us patent.

Would that make him notable? Not according to Wikipedia. I wonder why not?

Asking for a friend, of course. >:D
Are you saying that because there is no Wikipedia entry on that person? Am I incorrect that anyone is free to start a Wikipedia entry on anything and any person? And, a person can start one on him- herself? I'm also assuming that they would be subject to Wikipedia's rules for substantiation of any "facts" presented.

Vinny

Creating or editing articles about yourself or someone you have a connection to is strongly discouraged. See WP:COI...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... f_interest
Had ZERO idea regarding this? Has this been in place since the start of Wikipedia or near its start?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

vnatale wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:20 pm
Ad Orientem wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:12 pm
vnatale wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:05 pm
Generally for the rock music entries for which I value the most there is generally little political content in them. My assumption is that they'd be written by those who are great appreciators of the musician or group.

Vinny

WikiProject Music...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ject_Music
Would one find things here that one cannot find in a general Wikipedia search?

Vinny
It's mostly a forum for editors interested in editing music related articles. General facts and the like are going to be mostly in the articles in the mainspace.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

vnatale wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:22 pm
Ad Orientem wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:14 pm
vnatale wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:11 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:15 pm Let’s say a person has a dozen books published by major publishers, three of which have been translated into other languages, dozens of articles in trade publications, and is the first inventor on a us patent.

Would that make him notable? Not according to Wikipedia. I wonder why not?

Asking for a friend, of course. >:D
Are you saying that because there is no Wikipedia entry on that person? Am I incorrect that anyone is free to start a Wikipedia entry on anything and any person? And, a person can start one on him- herself? I'm also assuming that they would be subject to Wikipedia's rules for substantiation of any "facts" presented.

Vinny

Creating or editing articles about yourself or someone you have a connection to is strongly discouraged. See WP:COI...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... f_interest
Had ZERO idea regarding this? Has this been in place since the start of Wikipedia or near its start?

Vinny

It's been around for a long time. Not sure exactly when. The project started from scratch. Almost all of the policies and guidelines have developed organically as the community came around to the need for them.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

And while I'm on the subject of community projects...

WikiProject Conservatism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... nservatism