Saving money "hacks"

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Saving money "hacks"

Post by Storm » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:02 pm

Coffee wrote:- Your town has at two types of grocery stores: Expensive ones and cheap inexpensive ones.  (Hint: Albertson's falls into the former category).
I don't know about you, but if you have a Trader Joe's in your town, it is probably the cheapest grocery store outside of Asian and other ethnic stores you might find.  I've found Trader Joe's in our area (New England) is less expensive than even the super Walmart and Target discount stores.  Not only that, but their store brand merchandise is really good and is often organic or locally sourced.  It's basically like Whole Foods but half the price.
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:55 pm

big fan of Trader Joe...i can walk there....get exercise, save gas & wear on car
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:04 pm

a laundry rack for drying clothes gets a big savings over the cost of coin op,
i am looking into buying a portable washer for an apartment, but i haven't figured out how well it pays for it self yet..
In a free society, the last refuge of the moron is tyranny.

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
6 Iron
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by 6 Iron » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:58 pm

Marry wisely and lovingly once.
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee » Sun May 01, 2011 7:43 am

l82start wrote: a laundry rack for drying clothes gets a big savings over the cost of coin op,
i am looking into buying a portable washer for an apartment, but i haven't figured out how well it pays for it self yet..
When I lived in Costa Rica, the natives all used these things called, "Spinners".  They were similar to small drying machines, but without the heating element.  The clothes would still be damp when you took them out, but they'd dry faster on the line.  You might look into one of those?

They used 'em to save on their electricity bill.
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
LifestyleFreedom

Post by LifestyleFreedom » Sun May 01, 2011 5:10 pm

I find http://earlyretirementextreme.com/ and its associated http://forum.earlyretirementextreme.com/ to have excellent ideas on how to save money aggressively and retire very early.

ETA:  Check out the thread on the Permanent Portfolio (http://forum.earlyretirementextreme.com/topic.php?id=80).
Last edited by LifestyleFreedom on Sun May 01, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Financial Freedom --> Time Freedom --> Lifestyle Freedom
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon May 02, 2011 1:04 am

6 Iron wrote: Marry wisely and lovingly once.
Absolutely!

One of my best money-saving "hacks" was to marry a woman who is not a gold-digger and is relatively low-maintenance financially.  For our first four or five dates, I deliberately chose inexpensive--even cheesy--activities like bowling, miniature golf, ice skating, and a local zoo.  A gold-digger or princess never would have tolerated such cheap dates.  But my future wife didn't make a single remark about the low cost of those first several dates.

I continued to pay close attention to her attitude about money as we continued dating, but her great attitude on those first few cheap dates really told me most of what I needed to know.

It seems like most men don't actively screen out financially high-maintenance women in this way (their minds are too clouded by their emotions), which is why I like to think of it as a money-saving "hack."
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Mon May 02, 2011 5:32 am

6 Iron wrote: Marry wisely and lovingly once.
Too late for that one.  ;D
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
Liz L.

Post by Liz L. » Mon May 02, 2011 10:10 am

Our total wedding costs 11 years ago were $250. I wanted to spend less and have zero guests. My husband insisted that we have five guests and take them to lunch.

Anyway, it certainly makes life easier to have a mate with compatible tastes and values.
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf » Mon May 02, 2011 6:16 pm

What a great bunch of tips.  I'll be bookmarking this thread.

I also like checking your state's "unclaimed property" records to see if someone somewhere owed you money but couldn't find you.  I found an embarrassing amount of cash this way that I'd forgotten about in a less-responsible youth.  The money had been earned in the late 90s but was still sitting around waiting for me.  Here's the Texas unclaimed property website.
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee » Mon May 02, 2011 7:22 pm

Lone Wolf:

This site says I have $513 dollars coming to me (Yea!).  But it's asking for my social security number. 

???

... makes me a little uncomfortable.
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
BRESLOW
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by BRESLOW » Mon May 02, 2011 8:53 pm

You need for find a woman who has more money then you