Moderator: Global Moderator

lazyboy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Lack of outrage

Post by lazyboy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:30 pm

technovelist wrote:
LC475 wrote:
lazyboy wrote:I have no idea what you say you are or your beliefs are nor does it really matter.
If you are talking to someone whose beliefs and declarations about who he is do not really matter.... why are you talking to him again?

Your beliefs matter to me, technovelist. :-*
Thank you.

Well, to clarify, what I intended by that remark is that if someone presents their opinions in, what appears to me to be, a dogmatic or an autocratic way it really does not matter how they label themselves or their beliefs. Now, being on a forum like this it's probably not fair to judge too quickly about someone's style or intentions. And so if I offended you, I apologize.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:08 am

I like Trump because he has the right enemies.

-the left
-the neocons
-the war machine (but I repeat myself)
-the media
-the global one enormous government movement.
-the establishment in general (swamp creatures)

He might be an authoritarian. Or it might be that he is a doer. Comme ci, comme ça?

It's not quite right to call him a libertarian. He's much more a Randian. Given my name and avatar, you might guess that I'm interested to see how it goes. Atlas Shrugged was an extremely influential book in my life. It let me see that I wasn't crazy, that everything we have in the world is because of people who produced it of their own free will. Trump gets that. He doesn't like looters, to use Rand's phrase.

Trump could easily be a big fail. Everyone in power is against him. And he might not be tempermentally equipped to do the job anyway.

If we devolve to a civil war and/or authoritarianism, it will be due to the left. Not Trump.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:04 pm

I Shrugged wrote:I like Trump because he has the right enemies.

-the left
-the neocons
-the war machine (but I repeat myself)
-the media
-the global one enormous government movement.
-the establishment in general (swamp creatures)

He might be an authoritarian. Or it might be that he is a doer. Comme ci, comme ça?

It's not quite right to call him a libertarian. He's much more a Randian. Given my name and avatar, you might guess that I'm interested to see how it goes. Atlas Shrugged was an extremely influential book in my life. It let me see that I wasn't crazy, that everything we have in the world is because of people who produced it of their own free will. Trump gets that. He doesn't like looters, to use Rand's phrase.

Trump could easily be a big fail. Everyone in power is against him. And he might not be tempermentally equipped to do the job anyway.

If we devolve to a civil war and/or authoritarianism, it will be due to the left. Not Trump.
He has said that his role model was Howard Roark.

Many of his advisors are big Rand fans.

So I think you are pretty accurate in your analysis.

Note that I'm not saying he is perfectly Randian; for example, his misuse of eminent domain as a developer is not in accordance with Objectivism. But he is certainly closer to being a Randian hero than any President I know anything about.
lazyboy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lazyboy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:25 pm

Is this the New New World Order? The story that will not go away:

https://wearethisamericancarnage.wordpr ... atryoshka/

A matryoshka doll , also known as a Russian nesting doll, or Russian doll, is a set of wooden dolls of decreasing size placed one inside another.

Six degrees of separation is the idea that all living things and everything else in the world is six or fewer steps away from each other so that a chain of “a friend of a friend” statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps. It was originally set out by Frigyes Karinthy in 1929 and popularized in an eponymous 1990 play written by John Guare.

When attempting to navigate the web of Donald Trump’s business dealings and relationships with the Kremlin, Vladimir Putin, and the Russian mafia, however, a cast of questionable players is never more than 2 degrees of separation away from him or the Trump Organization. As we’ve covered extensively in previous posts, there is no doubt that Trump is financially beholden to Russian influence, which makes allegations surrounding his potential treason against the United States even more worrisome. Considering all link analysis here has been done using news media sources, one might question just how deep the rabbit hole goes using classified sources the US Intelligence Community is investigating currently.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:31 pm

I guess I just don't see what the Russians could possibly offer a 70-year-old who's already a billionaire. More billions? I guess... Wouldn't he rather be a great President?
lazyboy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lazyboy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Here a long and very nuanced article about this subject. Suffice it to say that there's a lot of history that needs to be understood and there is plenty of blame to go around for all the players.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.newyorke ... ld-war/amp
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:26 pm

lazyboy wrote:Here a long and very nuanced article about this subject. Suffice it to say that there's a lot of history that needs to be understood and there is plenty of blame to go around for all the players.

Greenwald adds some to this:

https://theintercept.com/2017/02/28/the ... nd-russia/
lazyboy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lazyboy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:47 pm

Given what's going on why would this guy be the choice for Commerce Secretary?

https://www.dcreport.org/wilbur-ross-co ... iew_id=944
TennPaGa
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by TennPaGa » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:43 pm

moda0306 wrote:
lazyboy wrote:Here a long and very nuanced article about this subject. Suffice it to say that there's a lot of history that needs to be understood and there is plenty of blame to go around for all the players.

Greenwald adds some to this:

https://theintercept.com/2017/02/28/the ... nd-russia/
Thanks for posting, moda.

FWIW, the issue Greenwald alludes to in point #1 is why I'm skeptical of people making hay out of the Trump/Russia connection:
A major irony in the Democrats’ current obsession with depicting Putin as the world’s Grave Threat – and equating efforts to forge better relations with Moscow as some type of treason – is that it was Barack Obama who spent eight years accommodating the Russian leader and scorning the idea that Russia should be confronted and challenged. Indeed, Obama – after Russia annexed Crimea – rejected bipartisan demands to arm anti-Russian factions in Ukraine, and actively sought a partnership with Putin to bomb Syria. And, of course, in 2012 – years after Russia invaded Georgia and numerous domestic dissidents and journalists were imprisoned or killed – the Obama-led Democrats mercilessly mocked Mitt Romney as an obsolete, ignorant Cold War relic for his arguments about the threat posed by the Kremlin.
One can, of course, side with the Clinton wing on the ground that the U.S. has been too soft on Russia, but what should not be suppressed – and what the New Yorker article makes clear – is that the hawkish views on Russia now dominant (even obligatory) in the Democratic Party were exactly what Obama resisted up until the last day that he left office.

That’s why people like John McCain, Lindsey Graham and Marco Rubio, along with various neocon organs, relentlessly attacked Obama on the ground that he was too accommodating of Putin in Syria, Ukraine and beyond.
My personal view is that it was wise for Obama to pursue non-confrontational relations with Russia. And so, I am in favor of Trump pursuing non-confrontation with Russia as well.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Wow, what a great (and LONG) article. This paragraph summarizes the situation well:
Although the evidence for Russia’s interference appears convincing, it is too easy to allow such an account to become the master narrative of Trump’s ascent—a way to explain the presence of a man who is so alien and discomforting to so much of the population by rendering him in some way foreign. In truth, he is a phenomenon of America’s own making.
As much as I'd love to blame Putin for Trump, I'm afraid I can't.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Xan wrote:I guess I just don't see what the Russians could possibly offer a 70-year-old who's already a billionaire. More billions? I guess... Wouldn't he rather be a great President?
You must stop using logic! Don't you know that hurts people's feelings?
TennPaGa
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by TennPaGa » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:59 pm

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017 ... ld-war/amp
John Podesta, the chairman of Hillary Clinton’s campaign and a former chief of staff of Bill Clinton’s, had every reason to be aware of the fragile nature of modern communications. As a senior counsellor in the Obama White House, he was involved in digital policy. Yet even he had not bothered to use the most elementary sort of defense, two-step verification, for his e-mail account.

“The honest answer is that my team and I were over-reliant on the fact that we were pretty careful about what we click on,” Podesta said. In this instance, he received a phishing e-mail, ostensibly from “the Gmail team,” that urged him to “change your password immediately.” An I.T. person who was asked to verify it mistakenly replied that it was “a legitimate e-mail.”
I understand Podesta often brags about how he is "good buddies" with a Nigerian prince.