Estate tax & Trump

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Estate tax & Trump

Post by Pointedstick » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:07 am

Libertarian666 wrote: You should know that it is never that simple. No one can know exactly what the unseen effects are, but they are usually of significant magnitude and generally not in line with the stated goal
Yes, such is life as a human.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:14 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
mathjak107 wrote:we just cleared new yorks tax cliffs . it took a few years and we needed to have disclaimer trusts in place
But you still live in NY? Why?
i tried to reply but i think i reported your post lol

we live in ny because ny offers all the things we want in retirement . we had a house in the pocono's we were going to retire to .

once we realized mostly everything we wanted in retirement it lacked we decided to retire right here in queens and sold the house .

the biggest reason is our grand kids are here and we are central to them . we have a set in howard beach queens , a set in scarsdale ny and a set in new jersey
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:55 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
mathjak107 wrote:we just cleared new yorks tax cliffs . it took a few years and we needed to have disclaimer trusts in place
But you still live in NY? Why?
i tried to reply but i think i reported your post lol

we live in ny because ny offers all the things we want in retirement . we had a house in the pocono's we were going to retire to .

once we realized mostly everything we wanted in retirement it lacked we decided to retire right here in queens and sold the house .

the biggest reason is our grand kids are here and we are central to them . we have a set in howard beach queens , a set in scarsdale ny and a set in new jersey
Ok, that makes sense. Having lived in NY, I would never move back.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:15 pm

What happened to all of the hyperventilating among Republicans we saw during the Zero Administration over the rising debt? Abolishing the estate tax would massively add to the national debt.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:47 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:What happened to all of the hyperventilating among Republicans we saw during the Zero Administration over the rising debt? Abolishing the estate tax would massively add to the national debt.
So 0.6% of federal revenue is massive? Eliminating dept of education would probably make up for that.

Actually I was being too conservative. The DoEd spends around $70 billion, and the estate tax raises only about $20 billion. So there would be plenty left over after eliminating both.
Last edited by Libertarian666 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:43 pm

There are some R's in Congress who are deficit hawks. They could probably all sit at a picnic table. But they do make noise now and then.