Apple Sucks, Doesn't it?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Apple Sucks, Doesn't it?

Post by dualstow » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:39 pm

sophie wrote: Windows desktops at my workplace get automatically locked down by IT, but Mac desktops don't.
Why is that?
If you have a Fidelity account, you may have some new 30-year treasury interest as of Saturday
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:57 pm

dualstow wrote:
sophie wrote: Windows desktops at my workplace get automatically locked down by IT, but Mac desktops don't.
Why is that?
Since the last HIPAA bill was passed, hospitals and medical centers have gone insane with security. It's understandable given the multimillion dollar fines that they've been hit with.

However, said hospitals and medical centers have a tendency to understaff and underpay IT. They know about my little kingdom but aren't motivated to do anything about it because it would be a lot of effort for little gain on their part - as long as I'm careful about security, which I am. The only people with Macs are the tech-savvy ones like me (and I realize I pale in comparison to this group, but I'm "savvy" relative to most of the faculty here).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:15 pm

Ah. So they don't bother with the Macs? Interesting.
If you have a Fidelity account, you may have some new 30-year treasury interest as of Saturday
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:22 pm

Just saw this and immediately thought of this thread.

Because who would want to use a mouse while it's charging?
Mechanical engineer, history buff, treasure manager... totally not Ben Gates
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:00 pm

hahaha!

Reminds me of a forum years ago in which someone had the gall to ask why you could only resize a window from one of the four corners, and was there some way to unlock resizing from any corner?

The first answer, from a fanboy, was Why would you want to?
Still makes my blood boil when I think about it, even though it's such a small thing.

Things have long since changed, and you can resize from any window corner in late OSX/MacOS.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:26 pm

I've been told that Apple put the charging port on the underside of that mouse consciously, to enforce the Apple aesthetic. If they put the port anywhere else, lots of people would use the mouse with the charging cord plugged in (maybe even all the time), just like a filthy commoner's mouse :)
mukramesh

Post by mukramesh » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:34 pm

My understanding is that the mouse is supposed to get something crazy like 9 hours worth of charge in < 2 minutes. That's less than a coffee/bathroom break. ;D
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:14 pm

All of this demands we ask what the point is of having a mouse with a non-removable battery that recharges via a cord. You still need to have the cord with you in case it runs out of juice, and you still need a spare port to plug it into. So why not just use a wired mouse!?

I once had a Razer wireless mouse that recharged from a standard USB cable. I never even added any batteries and just used it as a wired mouse. Much more convenient, and no worrying about running out of juice, ever. It was a totally pointless feature. I suppose port congestion would be a problem if your computer only had one port, though, and it's used for charging!

Solution: don't buy a computer with only one port.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:35 am

I don't buy Apple. I hate Apple. Probably because I worked at Palm, and WE should have been the smartphone for the masses, vs. fading away because of terrible management decisions. Remember when every show on TV had a "Palm Pilot" reference? Now it's iPhone this and that. Grrrr....

I also won't buy a product that I can't replace a battery on, which I think is virtually all Apple products.

My mice last >18 months on 1 or 2 AA batts. My keyboard I have never changed the battery on yet!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:13 am

Cortopassi wrote:I also won't buy a product that I can't replace a battery on, which I think is virtually all Apple products.
While I am impressed with the battery life of my new ipad mini and ancient iphone, I only use a wired USB mouse (non-apple; it's made of wood) and a wired USB keyboard (Apple).

I can replace the battery in my Android phone (Samsung Siii) which is good, because it is godawful. :)

I guess that's the tradeoff. Apple has great hardware but limits what we users can do with it. Makes me feel like a baby.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:06 pm

Cortopassi wrote:I don't buy Apple. I hate Apple. Probably because I worked at Palm, and WE should have been the smartphone for the masses, vs. fading away because of terrible management decisions. Remember when every show on TV had a "Palm Pilot" reference? Now it's iPhone this and that. Grrrr....

I also won't buy a product that I can't replace a battery on, which I think is virtually all Apple products.

My mice last >18 months on 1 or 2 AA batts. My keyboard I have never changed the battery on yet!
I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro in which I replaced the battery myself a few months ago. Want to buy it? Make me an offer I can't refuse. ;D
"Blind reason gropes around in matters belonging to God (1 Corinthians 2:14). According to its own imagination, reason seeks consolation in its own works and cannot remember Christ and faith." Smalcald Articles III III 18
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:26 pm

I hate Apple products too, but beggars can't be choosers: I grab phones in my parents' junk drawer after they're "done with" them. I'm on the iPhone 4 right now. Luckily they moved on to Samsung phones, so those are the next discards! I'm very excited.