Trump

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Trump

Post by Mountaineer »

Isn't Trump doing a fantactic job as President? Or is that a horrible job as President? I'm reflecting on the media feeding frenzy, the titter tat of Twitter, and the faceless Facebook accolades or jabs depending on which side of the great divide one is on. AND, AMAZINGLY, HE IS NOT YET EVEN PRESIDENT AND HAS NOT YET OFFICIALLY DONE ANYTHING IN HIS NEW ROLE! Much ado about nothing? Or predictions of the world's end, or salvation? You pick. Let the hateful comments and/or love fest roll on. Stand back so you don't get covered in spit, slime (or worse). So much for unity. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump

Post by Benko »

Facts i.e. things he has done:

+ Taking phone call from taiwan--because China should not determine who we do and don't talk to.

+ Collier jobs. Because it shows his interest in US jobs (which will be supported by tax and regulation changes).

+ Cabinet picks. Because he has chosen competent people and people who can clearly help with immigration issue, school choice, replacing Obamacare after repealed, taming the EPA, etc.

+ Making liberals head explode regularly (as the saying goes, priceless).
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

TennPaGa wrote:An important learning for me over the years about national politics (a learning that has been especially reinforced with Trump's election), is that opinions about the actions of a politician are not influenced so much by the actions, as they are by the identity of the politician.
Unfortunately, true! Most are far more influenced by their feelings than by objective truth. We have a friend who canceled an annual trip with friends because she was so upset Trump was elected President (well, we will know for sure after January 20). I continue to sadly (feeling) chuckle (action) when I think about (cognitive) how people turn over their emotions to something, let alone someone, completely outside their control. Pink elephants, leprechauns, and unicorns are taking over. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
curlew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by curlew »

Time's "Person of the Year" magazine cover is interesting. There is some debate about whether they intentionally placed the "M" directly over his head to look like devil's horns. I hadn't noticed it myself until someone else pointed it out. What I did notice was the caption, "President of the Divided States of America". If the result had been flipped I somehow doubt that Hillary's cover would have had a similar caption.

Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko »

TennPaGa wrote:An important learning for me over the years about national politics (a learning that has been especially reinforced with Trump's election), is that opinions about the actions of a politician are not influenced so much by the actions, as they are by the identity of the politician.
In case this refers to e.g. Trumps actions with respect to Collier:

But listen to what Carrier said after meeting with Trump. It said its decision was made possible "because the incoming Trump-Pence administration has emphasized to us its commitment to support the business community and create an improved, more competitive U.S. business climate."
http://www.investors.com/politics/edito ... important/

and my reaction to it would change if this is a frequent strategy.
MWKXJ

Post by MWKXJ »

Benko wrote:Facts i.e. things he has done:
+ Cabinet picks. Because he has chosen competent people and people who can clearly help with immigration issue, school choice, replacing Obamacare after repealed, taming the EPA, etc.
Trump's tapping of Andrew Puzder for Labor Secretary is concerning with respect to the immigration issue.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

I wonder how long the blame game and sour grapes crowd will continue now that is is official ???????? Or will we have a tiny bit of trying to make it work. Gladly, we are still a nation of laws and not potentates, at least for now.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/electoral-c ... -schedule/

Last Updated Dec 19, 2016 6:15 PM EST

UPDATE: Texas has put Donald Trump over the top, giving him the 270 electoral votes he needs to officially secure the presidency.

Edit: Maybe people are sick of the intrusion into bedrooms, bathrooms, Doctors' rooms, and churches. Hopefully, the disease will be treatable and not be terminal. Maybe also the press will get back to honest reporting instead of making news.

Over Obama's eight years, Democrats went from controlling 28 governor's mansions to 18; they went from controlling 25 state legislatures to 12; they went from controlling 60 Senate seats to 48; and from controlling 257 House seats to 194.