Trump's economic entanglements

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Trump's economic entanglements

Post by rickb »

Is anyone even remotely concerned about Trump's economic entanglements. See, for example, this article

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/09/23/dona ... 98081.html

Of course, most of this is completely opaque since he never released his taxes (how the fuck did he get away with that?????), and the Trump Organization is a private company. His claim that it's just like a blind trust since his children will be running the company and not him simply means he does not know what "blind trust" means.

This certainly looks like a setup for corruption on a scale that we've never seen. I mean, even Cheney divested himself of his direct interests in Haliburton when he was VP. For the President and his family to have undisclosed financial entanglements around the world seems like a very bad thing.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump's economic entanglements

Post by ochotona »

Is he going to end up like U.S. Grant on the corruption scale?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

He's 70 years old -- the oldest President ever -- and a billionaire several times over. He doesn't need to engage in crony capitalism to get richer unlike Slick Hilly or Romney. That was part of his allure as well as knowing how the corrupt game is played inside. You can't first fix a broken system without knowing intimately how it works.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rickb »

MachineGhost wrote:He's 70 years old -- the oldest President ever -- and a billionaire several times over. He doesn't need to engage in crony capitalism to get richer unlike Slick Hilly or Romney. That was part of his allure as well as knowing how the corrupt game is played inside. You can't first fix a broken system without knowing intimately how it works.
Why in the world would you think he has any intention to fix anything?

Isn't it abundantly clear that he cares about nothing except himself and is nothing but a con-man?

His entire campaign has pretty clearly (to me) been nothing but a huge con job. He's not going to build a wall. He's not going to deport 11 million illegals. He's not going to "drain the swamp". He's not going to put Hillary in jail. He's not going to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US. He's not going to revitalize the coal industry. It's looking like he's not even going to repeal Obamacare.

[not that I think any of those things would be good]

IMO, what he's actually going to do is stuff as much money in his pockets as he can.

Tell you what. Let's come back to this thread in 2 years and see what he's actually done. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he's resigned or been impeached by then.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

I completely agree with you that he is basically a con man and that he is not going to do any of the extreme things he promised. But it also doesn't make a lot of sense to me that he just wants to use the presidency to make more money. The guy's already a gazillionaire. He doesn't need any more money. Just about the only money-related thing that would make an impact is repealing the estate tax so that his kids get an extra few billion bucks once he dies (and avoid needing to liquidate properties to raise cash to pay the tax), and indeed that is a component of his platform. Beyond that, I expect him to revert to the person who he has always been: a greedy capitalist moderate whose major political passion has always been "lousy trade deals." Expect movement on that. Otherwise, who knows.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

He's President because of ego. These people are driven by the thirst for power itself.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

rickb wrote:Why in the world would you think he has any intention to fix anything?
He's an outsider not a careerist politician vested in the status quo.
Isn't it abundantly clear that he cares about nothing except himself and is nothing but a con-man?
You mean, like careerist politicians? You have to use a judgement call here.
His entire campaign has pretty clearly (to me) been nothing but a huge con job. He's not going to build a wall. He's not going to deport 11 million illegals. He's not going to "drain the swamp". He's not going to put Hillary in jail. He's not going to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US. He's not going to revitalize the coal industry. It's looking like he's not even going to repeal Obamacare.
Well, if he has to aim high as he typically does when negotiating deals, so long as we're alot higher in the compromise than before or under a clueless Democrat, I'll be somewhat happy. I've always fantasized about doing exactly just that if I ran for office. It just makes sense because "they" always force you downwards, so aiming for the moon so you land among the stars is just common sense. Which most Democrats horribly lack unless they're Blue Dogs.
IMO, what he's actually going to do is stuff as much money in his pockets as he can.

Tell you what. Let's come back to this thread in 2 years and see what he's actually done. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he's resigned or been impeached by then.
You really think he's been running for President since at least 2000 just to stuff more money into his pockets? ::) There's tremendously much easier ways to make a buck. Do you know how ridiculous you sound? You're not even giving the guy the benefit of doubt -- even Slick Hilly said to. I think your ideological bias is overwhelming your reason. Chill out and be optimistic. It's not the end of the world to finally solve the illegal immigrant problem.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rickb »

Pointedstick wrote:But it also doesn't make a lot of sense to me that he just wants to use the presidency to make more money. The guy's already a gazillionaire. He doesn't need any more money. Just about the only money-related thing that would make an impact is repealing the estate tax so that his kids get an extra few billion bucks once he dies (and avoid needing to liquidate properties to raise cash to pay the tax), and indeed that is a component of his platform.
Donald Trump wrote:Money was never a big motivation for me, except as a way to keep score.
I suspect it eats away at that dark pit where his soul should be that he's a loser compared to the Waltons, the Kochs, Gates, Buffett, etc, etc

But like I said - let's come back in 2 years and see what he's actually done.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Sore losing never goes out of style.
I for one am really enjoying it. :)

I expect to see a lot of this during Trump's terms in office. The Democrat party has imploded, and we are seeing the convulsions now. Attacking Trump is going to cost them politically, just like attacking WJC cost the Republicans. The general public on both sides just wants to see what Trump can do, and is upset about all of the left's wildness and sore losing. The more Trump is attacked, the more the public is going to get pissed.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

rickb going scorched earth
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

After having a grand old time making fun of Republicans for going whackadoodle bananas when Obama was elected president, it's awfully ironic to see Democrats now doing the same thing. I guess those tribalist impulses are stronger than they thought!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Pointedstick wrote:After having a grand old time making fun of Republicans for going whackadoodle bananas when Obama was elected president, it's awfully ironic to see Democrats now doing the same thing. I guess those tribalist impulses are stronger than they thought!
I'm not sure he can help it any more than Reub could. It's kinda sad, really. Us centrists/moderates/libertarians are the real freaks being unbiased to either political ideology, but which lets us perceive the fuctionally objective truth instead of wearing rose-colored glasses. What a curse!

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

We can't perceive the fully objective truth any more than Reub or rickb can. We're simply blinded by different things; all fallible humans in our own ways. What sets people apart in this manner is how much time we spend actively fighting these tendencies even though it's futile, and how much we are willing to step out of our tribalism. We may never win, but the struggle makes us better people.

Besides, feeling stressed and pumped with adrenaline all the time over something you have no control over is a terrible state to live in. Do something impactful or stop worrying.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

If Obama, Warren, Hillary, or Bernie don't stand up and tell the protesters to knock it off, the Democrats are really going to suffer in the court of public opinion. They are making Trump a sympathetic figure. I have not heard any Dem advance this thought as of yet.
rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rickb »

MachineGhost wrote:
Pointedstick wrote:After having a grand old time making fun of Republicans for going whackadoodle bananas when Obama was elected president, it's awfully ironic to see Democrats now doing the same thing. I guess those tribalist impulses are stronger than they thought!
I'm not sure he can help it any more than Reub could. It's kinda sad, really. Us centrists/moderates/libertarians are the real freaks being unbiased to either political ideology, but which lets us perceive the fuctionally objective truth instead of wearing rose-colored glasses. What a curse!
For the 3rd time, like I said - let's come back in 2 years and see what he's actually done.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Pointedstick wrote:We can't perceive the fully objective truth any more than Reub or rickb can. We're simply blinded by different things; all fallible humans in our own ways. What sets people apart in this manner is how much time we spend actively fighting these tendencies even though it's futile, and how much we are willing to step out of our tribalism. We may never win, but the struggle makes us better people.

Besides, feeling stressed and pumped with adrenaline all the time over something you have no control over is a terrible state to live in. Do something impactful or stop worrying.
Nomination for post of the week! 8)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

rickb wrote: For the 3rd time, like I said - let's come back in 2 years and see what he's actually done.
This I completely agree with, as the best yardstick for assessing a President. I also am waiting to see what actually occurs in the next few years.

I really could care less about psychoanalyzing candidates. It's about as productive as reading People magazine, except that you have even less information to go on. Apart from their late night tweets, everything you know about these candidates is fed to you via a media with an agenda that has nothing to do with giving you honest and complete information. And can you not see that whatever you conclude about the candidates' personalities is completely irrelevant for determining how successful a President they will be?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

I Shrugged wrote:If Obama, Warren, Hillary, or Bernie don't stand up and tell the protesters to knock it off, the Democrats are really going to suffer in the court of public opinion. They are making Trump a sympathetic figure. I have not heard any Dem advance this thought as of yet.
War is the health of the state. War is peace.