Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

TennPaGa
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Trump Wins - post-game discussion

Post by TennPaGa » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:50 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
sophie wrote:So this is the long-winded way of saying that I think the benefits of globalization are highly questionable, to say the least.
It's questionable for Westerners but not non-Westerners, that is for sure. We're basically subsidizing all non-Westerners so their living standards improve which smells like another liberal ideology hence probably why they all seem to be unabashed globalists. It's that "justice" and "fairness" crap they circle jerk endlessly over... while consistently refusing to acknowledge that capitalism has risen them out of poverty.
I don't think liberal ideology has anything to do with it. It smells like standard American-style capitalism to me: replace those expensive U.S. workers with cheaper Chinese ones. It looks great on the spreadsheet, and the true bill doesn't come due for a while, by which time the managers and executives who were handsomely rewarded for initiating the hare-brained scheme will be sunning themselves in some gated community in Florida.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:57 pm

Excellent! He's walking the talk so far. If he was wanting to get even richer, he wouldn't be working for $1. Obama sure can't say that.
An apparent victim of a purge of top level transition officials, O'Connor joins former House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers and a bevy of other well connected Trump transition officials who suddenly find themselves on the outside looking in. Some of those departures were reportedly related to a broad ouster of aides who were perceived as being close to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who led the Trump transition until last week.

On Wednesday, the Trump purge accelerated, now with an effort to push out lobbyists close to the effort. NBC News confirmed that Vice President-elect Mike Pence, who has taken over the transition leadership, had ordered the removal of all lobbyists from the team. That move came in the wake of criticism for Trump's use of lobbyists on his transition team despite his pledge to "drain the swamp" and clean up Washington ethics.

In an interview that aired Sunday on CBS's "60 Minutes," Donald Trump seemed to express frustration that his team had to depend on lobbyists for expertise. "That's the only people you have down there," Trump said. "Everybody's a lobbyist down there." At the same time, he pledged to make changes: "We're going to phase that out. You have to phase it out."

That has caused confusion as industry groups in Washington try to figure out whom to deal with on the new team. One said he was dealing with a key contact on the Trump transition last week, "but now he's being tossed aside."

The back-and-forth over who will be involved in planning a Trump administration underscores a key difficulty for Trump in staffing it. The reality is there are not enough Republicans in Washington who supported Trump during the campaign and share his views on trade, globalization and foreign policy to staff an entire White House and administration. Traditionally, many Republicans have advocated for policies counter to Trump's: more free trade agreements, more globalization of corporations and an activist, interventionist foreign policy.

That means Trump will have to rely on people outside of his core group of insiders as he takes the reins of power in Washington. And that can be an uncomfortable feeling, both for the former insiders and for the new team.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/16/tossed-a ... nnect.html
Two top Republicans working with President-elect Donald Trump's transition team told reporters in a phone call Wednesday evening that they're taking steps toward one of Trump's campaign promises -- to "drain the swamp" in Washington.

Trump communications director Jason Miller and Republican National Committee spokesman Sean Spicer announced anyone being vetted for a high post in the administration must provide a termination of lobbying form if they are a registered lobbyist.

In addition, when officials leave the government, they will be banned from being a lobbyist for five years as part of the agreement to serve in Trump's administration. The ban will apply lifetime to representing foreign governments, he added Thursday.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/16/politics/ ... index.html
Last edited by MachineGhost on Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:58 pm

TennPaGa wrote:I don't think liberal ideology has anything to do with it. It smells like standard American-style capitalism to me: replace those expensive U.S. workers with cheaper Chinese ones. It looks great on the spreadsheet, and the true bill doesn't come due for a while, by which time the managers and executives who were handsomely rewarded ~.
And don't forget- if they don't do it, someone else will.
Dow down 600+ points. Gold- well, see AdamSmith’s post in the gold scream rm
one of the cnbc guys I dislike just said you can track silver to the President’s tweets
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:08 pm

This is starting to have all of the hallmarks of being like Reagan's revolutionary first year. He was attacked relentlessly by the lamestream media for years and years. Don't expect the liberals to acquisience to Trump's common sense.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:41 pm

Have a laugh (if you are not a Hillary lover):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtaCUVt ... e=youtu.be
Rev 22:6-21
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:33 am

Interesting article with a very unusual take on Trump and his spoiled-5-year-old-bratty behavior:
The ominous fact is that Trump is undeniably one of the greatest intuitive political geniuses in history. Think about it: A wealthy businessman with no political experience at all takes on more than a dozen experienced politicians and manages to prevail, winning the presidential nomination of a major party. He then runs what an army of experts and analysts consider to be a train wreck of a general-election campaign and nonetheless manages to prevail to become the president-elect of the most powerful nation on Earth.
To see the populist dynamic in action — and catch a glimpse of how its logic is likely to shape our political future — you need look no further than this past weekend's conflagration surrounding Mike Pence's visit to the hit Broadway musical Hamilton. ...it's uncanny how Trump's unorthodox, demagogic behavior just so happens to advance his political fortunes. Trump's Twitter outburst distracted media attention from two potentially radioactive stories — his far-right Cabinet nominees and his $25 million settlement in the Trump University lawsuit.
http://theweek.com/articles/663225/dema ... ld-j-trump

I was thinking that I have no idea if Trump's presidency is going to crash and burn starting on Day Two, or if he's going to turn out to be the most effective and successful President in the modern era. Whatever happens, it will be interesting to watch.