Trump Wins - post-game discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

curlew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Trump Wins - post-game discussion

Post by curlew » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:30 pm

Current Drudge headline says "Trump on the verge of Presidency; World in Shock".

I'm guessing most of the world wasn't staying up to watch the election results and aren't really in shock but for those who were, what were they thinking? How could the Americans elect a president who promised to put "America First"? What an awful idea.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump Wins - post-game discussion

Post by Maddy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:32 pm

"But everybody I know voted for McGovern. . ."
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:34 pm

I'm proud to say I am an American!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:19 am

Looks like the PP bunch called it correctly. 8)
Rev 22:6-21
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:26 am

News sites are reporting that Canada's immigration websites have crashed. Imagine the disappointment these special snowflakes will feel when they learn that the vast majority of them who don't have substantial assets or high-demand skills won't even remotely qualify.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:42 am

Maddy wrote:News sites are reporting that Canada's immigration websites have crashed. Imagine the disappointment these special snowflakes will feel when they learn that the vast majority of them who don't have substantial assets or high-demand skills won't even remotely qualify.
Kind of ironic when the thing that most of them didn't like about Trump's campaign was the call to tighten immigration rules to something closer to what Canada already has (and isn't vilified for).

I am absolutely amazed by the outcome, but I think most of us recognized that polls were undercounting Trump votes. Ironically, the media's nonstop campaign against Trump may be part of what spurred an exceptional turnout among his base. I just didn't think it would be enough to overcome the lead that Clinton supposedly had.

I do feel kinda bad for Hillary Clinton...she has worked for this for decades and has already tried and failed once. And I agree that Trump's main qualification is the "killer instinct" that got him into the Presidency, but we will see if that translates to effective leadership in Washington's toxic insider environment. I remain hopeful that this is the case.

Also - Craig was right about the demographics being the main issue, with the question being whether the Latino population could overcome everyone else's voting pattern. The race was effectively decided by the relative turnout between the major racial/ethnic groups. And if Hillary Clinton were not a woman, she would have fared much worse. She might have won if she were a black woman. That is insane.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:11 am

The Republicans have control of the White House, Senate, and House of Representatives. Let's hope they don't squander this rare opportunity. I am not so sure this is a good thing, although it certainly is better than having the D in all 3.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:01 am

I'm happy. It will force a change, for better or worse. He made a great, humble acceptance speech. The weight of the office is now squarely on his shoulders and I think he'll be toning things down a lot and walking back some rhetoric.

Not a bad thing we may have a better relationship with Russia now either.

And how about gold and the market futures last night? You could time the ups and downs nearly state by state. Fun to watch, and happy to have gold again, at least for a day!
Lonestar

Post by Lonestar » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:41 am

This race never seemed like Democrat vs. Republican or liberal vs. conservative. It really seemed more like Populist vs. Elitist.

Reflects that no matter how much Trump was disliked, even by his own party, the American voter is fed up with the status quo, politically correct, inherently corrupt state of our government.

Do ya' think the biased media just might have got the message that saying something over and over does not make it true??
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:58 am

pugchief wrote:The Republicans have control of the White House, Senate, and House of Representatives. Let's hope they don't squander this rare opportunity. I am not so sure this is a good thing, although it certainly is better than having the D in all 3.
I really hope they don't fuck it all up by spending their political capital on something polarizing and unattainable like trying to chip away at abortion. There's a historic opportunity here, but if history is our guide, well, we're gonna get the GOP equivalent of Obamacare instead.
rocketdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rocketdog » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:05 am

I didn't vote for either HC or DT, so no matter the result I was not going to be happy. But I must admit I'm totally shocked that DT came out ahead, if only based on electoral college points (last I checked HC had won the popular vote).

The best thing I can say is, this is a serious wake-up call to Washington that the people of America are pissed off and willing to do anything to clear out the old guard of lifelong professional politicians and stick an outsider in there to really shake things up.

But I do worry about the future of the Supreme Court now. :-[
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:14 am

The rise in gold....gone
The drop in stocks...gone

Only thing left is a very bad day in bonds.

Looks like the start of a decent day in the PP has evaporated...sigh.

Sure, I'm glad Trump is in, but I'd be happier for the PP to be up.