Massive Internet Attack Strikes America

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Massive Internet Attack Strikes America

Post by Mountaineer »

Reub wrote:I'm using the new Opera browser on my PC with VPN and it masks my IP address and shows my location as being in other countries and/or states. I like it and its free.
Private? You hope so. ;)

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/18/ope ... 0-million/
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Mountaineer wrote:
Reub wrote:I'm using the new Opera browser on my PC with VPN and it masks my IP address and shows my location as being in other countries and/or states. I like it and its free.
Private? You hope so. ;)

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/18/ope ... 0-million/
China just bought them? Never mind!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I think that VPN would add security to your browsing experience by hiding your actual IP Address and masking your location. I actually got a message from my email provider recently asking whether I was really signing in from Canada. It really sucks that China is buying them!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Reub wrote:I think that VPN would add security to your browsing experience by hiding your actual IP Address and masking your location. I actually got a message from my email provider recently asking whether I was really signing in from Canada. It really sucks that China is buying them!
There's plenty of alternatives, none built into a browser that I'm aware of, though. Free ones are very slow too.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

i have given a vpn called windscribe a test run, it is a browser based (Firefox add on)...they also have others browsers they are compatible with... they also offer router, phone, and computer based vpns

i have only tried the free browser based version and it didn't seem to make any speed difference...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

The browser isn't the VPN just an ad & tracker blocker and secure.link generator. There's better plugins to do the former (i.e. uBlock Origin and PrivacyBadger).

I like that it supports DD-WRT to put the VPN routing at the router level instead of on each PC, but it's only for paying members.

EDIT:
Last edited by MachineGhost on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Wow, they're giving away 10GB of VPN data per month to the free accounts for a limited time. I encourage everyone to jump onboard. Make sure you select the 10GB tab when signing up.

You can check you IP here: http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

MachineGhost wrote:
Reub wrote:I think that VPN would add security to your browsing experience by hiding your actual IP Address and masking your location. I actually got a message from my email provider recently asking whether I was really signing in from Canada. It really sucks that China is buying them!
There's plenty of alternatives, none built into a browser that I'm aware of, though. Free ones are very slow too.
Over the past couple of months I have tried the free Opera browser with (VPN activated) on my MacBook Pro, the free Opera VPN app on my iPhone, and the paid NORD VPN (gets reasonably high ratings on various VPN test sites) on my MacBook Pro. All slowed down my browsing to an unacceptable level. Oh well.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

I'm only seeing occasional 404 errors but downloads tend to fail more often than not when I forget to turn it off for that.
Simonjester wrote: Alexa leans left? ? no wonder AI is scary...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MECcIJW67-M