The Olympics

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

The Olympics

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:35 am

Water polo is now my second favorite alternate sport, right behind rugby. There don't seem to be any rules, except for "excessive drowning." The trick seems to be to shove the guy underwater, then writhe around on top of his struggling-to-breathe body so that your teammate can score. Generally shots careem off someone's face from point blank range. I also saw a player punch the other one in the face, which was taken in stride by all involved. When NBC is feeling risky, they try to pan to the coaches on the sidelines, which inevitably involve extremely graphic crotch shots in the background. I think this is some kind of Title IX requirement if they want to air women's beach volleyball. The players seem to have the same attitude as rugby players. After one goal, they showed maybe 4 replays, including a slow mo, of the US goalkeeper yelling "FUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKK." The announcers are former players, and it shows. They were having waaay too much fun calling the Croatian goalkeepers name, which evidently was Beeyotch.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Olympics

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:40 am

If you are interested in the schedules, might want to check out the iPhone app: Rio2016.

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:00 pm

That was probably the worst opening ceremony in Olympic history. All politically correct bs from global warming to slave trade to immigration to diversity to rap music. Oh yes, a team of disparate refugees too. Thank God for Giselle!
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:40 am

Rio -- where the elites lecture us on environmentalism while the athletes swim in raw sewage.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:28 pm

Tyler, I've looked into it, and the raw sewage water is actually the correct play here. Zika mosquitos can't hatch in water with a certain ratio of human waste in it, which I believe is being tightly maintained within the bands.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Tyler wrote:Rio -- where the elites lecture us on environmentalism while the athletes swim in raw sewage.
For more on the elites, I highly recommend the episode of Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel that they keep airing on HBO. They really skewer IOC and what the Olympics do to most nations who are foolish enough to host the games. No wonder authoritarian regimes like Russia and China are the IOC's new favorites.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:03 pm

What's with the synchronized men's diving for an hour in prime time? This really has my conspiracy theories churning.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:58 am

Some kind of government plot? Or is it the Muslims?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:54 am

I can't even watch anything anywhere other than what NBC broadcast decides to show which is always boring stuff like woman's volleyball or endless swimming sports. I simply have no authorization via the recent downgrade to starter cable (which is just local and broadcast, nothing else) which I get for $10 after the triple play discount.

I may take a 7-day Sling trial just for relief. It's better than waiting another four years for karate in Tokyo. I want to watch weighlifting and maybe some of the other odd duck sports, like the new rugby.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:41 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:Some kind of government plot? Or is it the Muslims?
29 more attacks or planned attacks by jihadists since Orlando bloodbath:

http://pamelageller.com/2016/08/fbi-det ... tack.html/
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am

I've got to give these Olympics major kudos. All comments about doping and poopwater aside, they've succeeded in their main goal of making me feel like an utterly unathletic piece of shit.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:53 am

MachineGhost wrote:I can't even watch anything anywhere other than what NBC broadcast decides to show which is always boring stuff like woman's volleyball or endless swimming sports.
DW was irritated last night when they cut away from gymnastics (that they normally also broadcast heavily) to go back to swimming preliminary heats. Not even the medal rounds.

My personal theory is that screen time on NBC is directly proportional to the amount of skin on display. That lends itself to a disproportionate amount of beach volleyball, swimming, and diving.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:45 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tyler wrote:
MachineGhost wrote:I can't even watch anything anywhere other than what NBC broadcast decides to show which is always boring stuff like woman's volleyball or endless swimming sports.
DW was irritated last night when they cut away from gymnastics (that they normally also broadcast heavily) to go back to swimming preliminary heats. Not even the medal rounds.

My personal theory is that screen time on NBC is directly proportional to the amount of skin on display. That lends itself to a disproportionate amount of beach volleyball, swimming, and diving.
This is why I haven't watched in years. I want to be able to watch an event all the way through, without human interest stories or cut-aways to other events. They could do separate broadcasts of the human interest stuff, and show the events in full at prearranged broadcast times [I don't care if it is live] so you could tune in to the events that interest you.

As far as the skin goes, the women's beach volleyball outfits were very disappointing. :'(
I started watching online, you can watch an event all the way through. And you can watch them whenever you want, which is pretty cool. Except when the website crashes in overtime of the US-SWE soccer match and despite throwing an Easter basket across the room, it still won't reload, so you go back to the main NBC page, where they proudly display the headline of who won the fucking game you were trying to watch.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:18 pm

MangoMan wrote:This is why I haven't watched in years. I want to be able to watch an event all the way through, without human interest stories or cut-aways to other events. They could do separate broadcasts of the human interest stuff, and show the events in full at prearranged broadcast times [I don't care if it is live] so you could tune in to the events that interest you.
To do what you want requires the NBC Sports App [Gold] which requires more than a basic cable subscription for authorization. It seems to have on demand, recorded streams in every sports category. The web version requires authorization as well.

Sling is a joke. The desktop PC app is nothing more than a fancy tuner but the Roku app does at least meta-pull in a subject from all channels available. But it too is live stream only. Once you miss it, that's it.

I've pretty much given up. My time is worth more than having to split my watch time with several other sports I'm not interested in, endless fucking commercials and human interest stories.

The experience better be substantially improved for Tokyo. No one really cares about Rio and Brazil anyway -- they're just a third world country.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:04 pm

I guess i'm nobody then, because i care about brazil. One thing they do really well is music. I say that any culture that can produce music that beautiful can't be all bad.

As for the games, count me in as a new rugby fan. What an intense sport. Much better than american football, which i gave up following long ago because of its violence. What a great victory by fiji to win their first medal ever, and in a blowout over the brits.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:58 am

I was fortunate to have gotten into rugby back in college, a friend played on our club team. In addition to the gameplay being superior to any other, including football, the rugby culture is the best that I know of in sports. It's said that soccer is a game for gentlemen, played by barbarians, whereas rugby is a barbaric game played by gentlemen. Rugby is brutal as fuck, but afterwards, the teams inevitably party together and have a great time. And it seems like a worldwide culture; I was in a bar in the Netherlands when a giant crowd of manbeasts came in and had a lively time. As you can guess, a rugby tournament just concluded and they were all out self-medicating.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:38 am

The rugby in the Olympics isn't "real" rugby -- it has a little less than half the players. Still, it is definitely a breed apart! Not boring like soccer and not NeoCon-War-Ideology like American football (it is just so silly when you look at it objectively, that I expect as a new sport nowadays it would be banned as it would upset liberal sensibilities unless women are allowed to play).

I'm not a sports fan at all, but I recognize something different when I see one. I wish they would add lacrosse to the Olympics. Enough with the golf, the endless swimming and the basketball!!

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:04 am

MachineGhost wrote:The rugby in the Olympics isn't "real" rugby -- it has a little less than half the players. Still, it is definitely a breed apart!
Nobody cares.
Not boring like soccer and not NeoCon-War-Ideology like American football (it is just so silly when you look at it objectively, that I expect as a new sport nowadays it would be banned as it would upset liberal sensibilities unless women are allowed to play).
Soccer was boring when I didn't know how it worked. Once I learned the rules and the techniques the players use it became a lot more fun.

Football is a great sport ruined by TV commercials.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:00 pm

Soccer will always be boring to me. Curling is never boring. That's just fact.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:21 pm

The incredible Michael Phelps just won his 23rd and probably last Olympic gold medal. This guy is superhuman.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 am

Reub wrote:The incredible Michael Phelps just won his 23rd and probably last Olympic gold medal. This guy is superhuman.
Isn't that that pot smoking swimmer? See, marijuana isn't as bad as you or craigr think.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:33 am

Tyler wrote:DW was irritated last night when they cut away from gymnastics
I keep reading about how Simone Biles is in a class by herself, but I keep missing her. Haven't really tuned in much.
I did catch Bolt, and he was pretty fun to watch, smiling near the end.

I read in The Week that the head of security was mugged at knifepoint after some ceremony, maybe the opening one.
And of course a bunch of swimmers were just robbed at gunpoint. Oops.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:49 am

dualstow wrote:I read in The Week that the head of security was mugged at knifepoint after some ceremony, maybe the opening one.
And of course a bunch of swimmers were just robbed at gunpoint. Oops.
If that is all that has happened so far, that is nothing considering what a criminal shithole Rio is. The police/military must be doing a great job!

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:27 am

Bad sportsmanship:

*JUDO: Muslim (Egyptian) olympian refuses to shake hands with Jewish (Israeli) counterpart after match.

*Israeli Olympians kicked off bus to Rio games by Lebanese delegation

{both easily googleable}
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:09 am

dualstow wrote:Bad sportsmanship:

*JUDO: Muslim (Egyptian) olympian refuses to shake hands with Jewish (Israeli) counterpart after match.

*Israeli Olympians kicked off bus to Rio games by Lebanese delegation

{both easily googleable}
After seeing what other Arabs have done to avoid even competing against Israelis, I'd call this progress.