Intellectuals are Freaks

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Intellectuals are Freaks

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:49 am

Intellectuals are almost always liberals too, so they have a blind spot about acknowledging natural classism.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Intellectuals can be out of touch with reality, since....

Post by Benko » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:15 am

Intellectuals tend to live in their head, not so much reality. One can create a theory in ones head to explain/justify any viewpoint (or several contradictory ones at the same time). If you are a painter, or gardener or engineer designing real world reactors, you have theories, and you get real world feedback i.e. garden grows or does not, paint covers what it is supposed to and dries on time, or not, and your reactor produces what it is supposed to, or not.

If you are a college professor, you can think whatever you want and there is not only no feedback, but dissenting viewpoints are not only not encouraged, but starting to be silenced. There are also armies of people working for news outlets who again, not only are biased to only report things that support your view, but actively try to silence/discredit other views.

Which explains the famous Buckley quote that he'd rather be governed by 1st hundred people in phone book vs Harvard staff.
IDrinkBloodLOL

Re: Intellectuals are Freaks

Post by IDrinkBloodLOL » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:40 pm

I am aware of no studies of this sensitive topic, but to judge from my experience the number of single individuals and childless married couples among what might be called the American intelligentsia appears to be much higher than in the population at large. The postponement of marriage in order to accumulate credentials or job experience, the willingness to move to further career goals, and — in the case of bohemians — the willingness to accept incomes too low to support children in order to be an avant-garde writer or artist or revolutionary sets intellectuals and other elite professionals apart from the working-class majority whose education ends with high school and who rely on extended family networks for economic support and child care.
So they are genetic failures.

What good is it to have all the brains in the world if they go with you to the grave?

These people have rationalized themselves out of life itself.