Strongtowns.org Antifragile series

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Strongtowns.org Antifragile series

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

It’s all too clear why parents will spend their last dollar (and their last borrowed dollar) on their kids’ education: In a society with dramatic income inequality and dramatic educational inequality, the cost of missing out on the best society has to offer (or, really, at the individual scale, the best any person can afford) is unfathomable. So parents spend at the brink of what they can afford. By contrast, non-parents are far more likely to actually build up savings. (In cases where parents do manage to find affordable housing in a district with good-quality schools, it can make all the difference.)
True, dat!

But investing in your kids as your retirement plan doesn't explain two things... 1) why do people continue to live in uber expensive coastal cities with utterly shitty schools; and 2) why does increased building density raise prices separate from better schools? Economies of scale are supposed to lower costs, not increase them.

When you combine these together, it's truly a head scratcher (for me).

Incidentally, as I've been looking at real estate investment possibilities, Ohio in the Rust Belt seems to be one of the best places for low-cost housing (specifically Columbus). Houses can cost $20K-$50K there. No joke. Now, maybe they're in a lower income, majority black area, but the point is prices like that are possible without being in the rural boonies miles from nowhere.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:40 pm

MachineGhost wrote:But investing in your kids as your retirement plan doesn't explain two things... 1) why do people continue to live in uber expensive coastal cities with utterly shitty schools;
That's where the great jobs are. It's the lure of a high six-figure income.

MachineGhost wrote:2) why does increased building density raise prices separate from better schools? Economies of scale are supposed to lower costs, not increase them.
Because we mostly do density wrong in America, so most of the neighborhoods in these dense areas are blighted nightmares, with a few oases of European-style awesomeness (e.g. NYC's West Village), and everyone bids up the price of living there.

Most of the coastal cities are actually terrible places to live. It's just a few districts or neighborhoods that are nice. Good places to work or play, but lousy to actually live there.

MachineGhost wrote:Incidentally, as I've been looking at real estate investment possibilities, Ohio in the Rust Belt seems to be one of the best places for low-cost housing (specifically Columbus). Houses can cost $20K-$50K there. No joke. Now, maybe they're in a lower income, majority black area, but the point is prices like that are possible without being in the rural boonies miles from nowhere.
That's why. White people don't want to live or own property near black people. Could be a major overlooked opportunity if you believe that the residents are perfectly normal and avoided for irrational reasons like white racism.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:38 am

That's not really like Columbus; it has a pretty diversified economy. If you're looking in the SE, I'd say refocus though. North Linden is an area I'm looking at.

If you really do want to buy a property in the SE, the city of Columbus sells abandoned properties for a few thousand dollars.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:53 am

Looks like Strong Towns has a book coming out.
ISBN-13:

Code: Select all

978-1119564812
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:01 pm

Btw, PS’s bad Chicago photo was a back alley, not a street.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:08 pm

I think he was dropping random googlestreeturchins, so that isn't surprising.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.