Savings Rates by Wealth Class

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Savings Rates by Wealth Class

Post by MachineGhost »

I would put a poll up but that doesn't seem to be a feature of the new forum. So what percent does everyone save of their income?
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Savings Rates by Wealth Class

Post by clacy »

I save about 15%. I would love to save more like 20, but with 3 kids and a stay at home wife, it gets hard to maintain a nice suburban life style.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Around 70%. Two kids, stay-at-home wife, 1,300 sf suburban house, one car. Amounts to a pretty strong set of golden handcuffs.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Savings rate 25%. Maxed out age 50+ 401(k), age 55+ HSA, then more after-tax savings. House paid for, kids' college paid for, retiring no later than 3600 days from now.
curlew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by curlew »

About 60% (currently living on post-retirement budget 1 year before retirement)
Last edited by curlew on Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

I think I'm around 65% savings rate with me working fulltime and my wife working part-time. There's more I could cut out eventually and currently am renting an apartment so if that money could go towards equity in a home that'd be nice someday.
Last edited by Greg on Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

Including company match but not Mortgage principle, around 10% of gross; ~14% if include Mortgage Principle.

[Edit: added 'of gross'; Edit2: added % inc. Mortgage Principle - helps me feel slightly better here on the bottom of the saving range... :).]
Last edited by Dieter on Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
koekebakker

Post by koekebakker »

About 20% of net income, aiming at 25%.
curlew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by curlew »

Pointedstick wrote:Around 70%. Two kids, stay-at-home wife, 1,300 sf suburban house, one car. Amounts to a pretty strong set of golden handcuffs.
That's pretty amazing. I raised 3 kids with a stay-at-home wife and our savings rate was generally around -10%, at least in the early years.

I'm actually a frugal person by nature but the stay-at-home wife and kids were quite the opposite (especially the wife).

You must have wisely married a like-minded person.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I bounced around between 87% and 66%. All while in the bottom 90% of course.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

About 50%.

I'm doing well at my job so far, but I'm reliant on government income sources that could go poof at any moment. The goal is to become financially independent in about 3-5 years, after which I can work at my own pleasure and with no pressure to keep running the academic treadmill.
ZedThou

Post by ZedThou »

My wife and I are a DINK household and we save about 60% of gross income. At a 4% SWR we are on the cusp of financial independence. The plan now is to spend the next five years building up the bulwark further and then leave the workforce and spend my remaining days fly fishing and becoming a better pianist.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

curlew wrote:
Pointedstick wrote:Around 70%. Two kids, stay-at-home wife, 1,300 sf suburban house, one car. Amounts to a pretty strong set of golden handcuffs.
That's pretty amazing. I raised 3 kids with a stay-at-home wife and our savings rate was generally around -10%, at least in the early years.

I'm actually a frugal person by nature but the stay-at-home wife and kids were quite the opposite (especially the wife).

You must have wisely married a like-minded person.
Guilty as charged! She's a pretty amazing woman.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

We probably averaged about 60% over our accumulation stage, starting on the low end and rising as we got older and really serious about optimizing savings rate. We peaked around 80%.

These days, the number is all over the map with no full time job and only irregular part time gigs. But because we're FIRE, that's a feature not a bug.