All Things Permanent Health

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: All Things Permanent Health

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:40 pm

At least the oral probiotic did something, although I was brushing only once a day more often also.

"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:51 am

MachineGhost wrote:
Reub wrote:So are all of you going to lace on your running shoes right now?
I "ski" in place for 20 minutes a day, 5x a week to target the optimal mortality reduction. I'm a fan of MEMR: minimum effort, maximum results.

If you don't like running, you can do the HIIT: 2 minutes slow, 30 seconds all out, repeat three times, for a total of 10 minutes a day. I posted that study somehwere else.
Do you use a Nordic Track for the skiing? I used to have one before it got destroyed in Hurricane Sandy.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:01 pm

MG,

How does one get a "gut analysis" done i.e. what company do you use and what is the test called?

FYI: I owe you and Reub (I think) thanks as I've healed my gut quite a bit thanks partly to the partially hydrolyzed guar gum that perhaps it was Reub and you recommended.

The other happy accidental discovery which has helped heal my gut quite a bit is called amla*. I take a teaspoon per day in my smoothie. Indian (as in Ayurvedic medicine) herb which I happen to try for another reason. Turns out it decreases gut inflammation. Taking the hydrolyzed guar gum and amla helped a friend who had "gut issues" as well.

*amla is one of the 3 herbs in triphala, but I could never take triphala itself because of the cramps it gave me.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:34 pm

Reub wrote:Do you use a Nordic Track for the skiing? I used to have one before it got destroyed in Hurricane Sandy.
No I just free form on a rebounder (mini trampoline) while watching Netflix. I do have one of those walker machines but it wasn't in a room with a TV until recently. It's easy to do HIIT on that. I want more variety so I'll probably throw that in soon. Depends if I can handle the stress or not. I'm so pooped out after weight lifting these days and defintely takes all week to recover.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:37 pm

Benko wrote:How does one get a "gut analysis" done i.e. what company do you use and what is the test called?
You can get a FREE $89 gut microbiome analysis from uBiome using the promo code on this page: http://ubiome.com/pages/personality

Alternatively, you can join their mailing list and wait for a 5-sites-for-1 deal for $89. I've received two (now three) kits for free and have only paid for two 5-for-1's.

I'll post the gut repair fiber cocktail I've been using soon. I guess going from 16th to 30th in diversity isn't nothing to sneeze at at just 5g a day (but it annoyingly makes me drowsy and crash-prone afterwards so only can take it near bedtime). My real aggravation is why I still have no lactic acid bateria despite taking a ridiculous array of expensive probiotics over the past year (PrescriptAssist, Ortho-3, Elixa, etc.), including a spore-forming lactic acid bacteria that definitely survives stomach acid. I thought maybe it was a bad sample and assay the first time, but nope! This shit be pissing me off.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:09 am

Here is the recipe for the prebiotic gut repair fiber mix that I've been taking:

60g Psyllium Husk Powder (Short Chain Fatty Acids)
https://www.pureformulas.com/psyllium-h ... y-now.html
33g Modified Citrus Pectin Powder
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson ... grams-pwdr
33g Inulin Powder (FructoOligoSaccharides)
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson ... grams-pwdr
30g Larch Tree Powder (ArabinoGalactans)
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson ... -8-oz-pwdr
27g Glucomannan Powder
https://www.pureformulas.com/glucomanna ... y-now.html
27g Baby's Jarro-Dolphilus + FOS (GalactoOligoSaccharides)
https://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formulati ... 0013OSHDY/
14g Acacia Fiber Powder
https://www.pureformulas.com/acacia-fib ... y-now.html

They all specialize in promoting the growth of less common, but pro-health microbiota species (I have 3 very elusive now compared to just 1 before). I'm doubling my daily dose to two 5g scoops now. I'm also going to give probiotics one more shot and try the Life Extension dual encapsulated intestinal-wall sticking FlorAssist Balance Lactobacillus/Bifidobacterium which gets rave reviews -- especially from people who have tried a lot of other probiotics like I have -- before giving up completely. Prebiotics are far more important than prebiotics as prebiotics is the food; probiotics is just the seed.

I don't know what Modified Citrus Pectin is supposed to promote in the gut, but it is normally used to eradicate cancer cells inside the body since it is specially processed to be absorbed into the bloodstream unlike normal pectin.

Ubiome suggests ingesting OligoFructose to promote Akkermansia genus of which I have exactly 0% -- it feeds on the mucin secreted by the gut walls and one species is associated with obesity, inflammation and diabetes (see below). I also know Baobao fruit powder promotes Lactobacillus rhamnosus which has an impressive resume (I think I too took it as a single probiotic to no apparant result).
Obesity and type 2 diabetes are characterized by altered gut microbiota, inflammation, and gut barrier disruption. Microbial composition and the mechanisms of interaction with the host that affect gut barrier function during obesity and type 2 diabetes have not been elucidated. We recently isolated Akkermansia muciniphila, which is a mucin-degrading bacterium that resides in the mucus layer. The presence of this bacterium inversely correlates with body weight in rodents and humans. However, the precise physiological roles played by this bacterium during obesity and metabolic disorders are unknown. This study demonstrated that the abundance of A. muciniphila decreased in obese and type 2 diabetic mice. We also observed that prebiotic feeding normalized A. muciniphila abundance, which correlated with an improved metabolic profile. In addition, we demonstrated that A. muciniphila treatment reversed high-fat diet-induced metabolic disorders, including fat-mass gain, metabolic endotoxemia, adipose tissue inflammation, and insulin resistance. A. muciniphila administration increased the intestinal levels of endocannabinoids that control inflammation, the gut barrier, and gut peptide secretion. Finally, we demonstrated that all these effects required viable A. muciniphila because treatment with heat-killed cells did not improve the metabolic profile or the mucus layer thickness. In summary, this study provides substantial insight into the intricate mechanisms of bacterial (i.e., A. muciniphila) regulation of the cross-talk between the host and gut microbiota. These results also provide a rationale for the development of a treatment that uses this human mucus colonizer for the prevention or treatment of obesity and its associated metabolic disorders.

http://www.pnas.org/content/110/22/9066.long

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:23 pm

What the heck are they eating in Greece?

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:39 pm

Best of the best. The rest of the analyzers only look at less than 100 SNP's.
SelfDecode has 6400 SNPs from the new 23andme chip and 700 SNPs with custom made content (and counting).

SelfDecode can analyze ~8700 SNPs in total (but the new 23andme chip only has 6400).
https://www.selfdecode.com/

Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:34 pm

MachineGhost wrote:Best of the best. The rest of the analyzers only look at less than 100 SNP's.
SelfDecode has 6400 SNPs from the new 23andme chip and 700 SNPs with custom made content (and counting).

SelfDecode can analyze ~8700 SNPs in total (but the new 23andme chip only has 6400).
https://www.selfdecode.com/
$19/month. Blimey!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:51 am

Just use it for up to one month then cancel.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:17 pm

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:45 pm

So, what is the bottom line of this picture and related hundreds (thousands?) of words in the link? What do I do with this information?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:17 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
So, what is the bottom line of this picture and related hundreds (thousands?) of words in the link? What do I do with this information?
Food for brain.

And I suppose if you want to live longer, get to work on fixing those nine hallmarks.

Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks for the info MG.

Mountaineer,

Complicated stuff and you could spend a book chapter if not a book on each of the nine areas*. If you look at the different boxes (as a place to start) you'll see a number of things that you're probably already familiar with e.g. inflammation and gut flora (bottom right box) as well as other topics e.g. DNA repair, teleomerases, autophagy (benefit from killing off damaged cells), mitochondria (powerplant for cells), NAD+ and Sirt 1 relevant to health/improved aging, etc.

*MG knows way more about this stuff than I. But all the complicated stuff doesn't supercede the basics e.g. sufficient sleep/rest and stress reduction, diet, exercise (aerobic, lifting), "basic supplementation", etc.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Benko wrote:Thanks for the info MG.

Mountaineer,

Complicated stuff and you could spend a book chapter if not a book on each of the nine areas*. If you look at the different boxes (as a place to start) you'll see a number of things that you're probably already familiar with e.g. inflammation and gut flora (bottom right box) as well as other topics e.g. DNA repair, teleomerases, autophagy (benefit from killing off damaged cells), mitochondria (powerplant for cells), NAD+ and Sirt 1 relevant to health/improved aging, etc.

*MG knows way more about this stuff than I. But all the complicated stuff doesn't supercede the basics e.g. sufficient sleep/rest and stress reduction, diet, exercise (aerobic, lifting), "basic supplementation", etc.
Thanks, that helps. I think I'll just boil this down to "all things in moderation including food and drink", sleep 8 to 9 hours per day as much as possible, stop doing things that physically hurt an old body, stay mentally sharp by reading this forum, get a new set of parents to fix the genetic stuff, and I'll be good to go ....... :)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:09 pm

Ok, maybe that was too high brow, but I plan on cooking up a spreadsheet eventually with among the best of the current bioagents to target those nine hallmarks of aging. There may be overlap with the Permanent Supplement Regime which is focused on preventing or ameliorating cancer, since cancer is largely a disease of aging. The difference now is we're treating aging itself as a disease to be eradicated, rather than its symptoms. Curing cancer would only add three years to your lifespan, so it's much ballyhoo over nothing.

Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:16 pm

MG,

The whole 9 box area is so complicated and so broad that it might be worth e.g. picking one of the nine boxes at a time, create a thread on that topic, say a few sentences about the box/area to briefly explain it, and then talk about the supps.

And diet plays a role e.g. kiwis (and other food) induce DNA repair enzymes, fish oil (perhaps EPA over DHA?) helps with inflammation, blueberries are good for brain aging, etc.

And I'm not sure everyone agrees e.g. is there certainty that e.g. lengthening teleomeres is beneficial, is optimal IGF high or not so high, etc.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:27 pm

Agree-- I'd love to really dig into this.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:21 am

MachineGhost wrote: Curing cancer would only add three years to your lifespan, so it's much ballyhoo over nothing.

MG, Would you mind explaining this statement? I take it to mean that statistically (i.e., averaged over large populations) cancer does not contribute meaningfully to shortened lifespan. This seems counter-intuitive. Is this because most cancers arise in older or sicker people who aren't going to live more than a few years more in any event?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:07 am

Maddy wrote:
MachineGhost wrote: Curing cancer would only add three years to your lifespan, so it's much ballyhoo over nothing.

MG, Would you mind explaining this statement? I take it to mean that statistically (i.e., averaged over large populations) cancer does not contribute meaningfully to shortened lifespan. This seems counter-intuitive. Is this because most cancers arise in older or sicker people who aren't going to live more than a few years more in any event?
I'm not really sure, but if I had to guess its because we're able to keep people "alive" in a poor quality state now via "baby out with the bathwater" extremist treatments (hack, slash and burn) and earlier detection, so the gap between that and cancer-free is not large. It is even arguable for a lot of cancers, but I digress. But I do know the figure must be an average... it certainly would be welcome news for, say, pancreatic cancer, than something slower growing like melanoma.

But its true that cancer is primarily a disease of old age. The body's repair machinary is not perfect even though it is fantastically impressive with a low tolerance for transcriptioning errors. But as we all know, small errors compound over time until a critical mass is reached.

But perhaps cancer-cured people would still die relatively soon of old age either way. Curing cancer just wouldn't square or extend the mortality curve.

Besides, only about 25% of cancers come from DNA or transcription errors, the other 75% is due to poor diet and toxic environmental exposure.

EDIT: I found the source...
While eliminating smallpox and curtailing cholera added decades of life to vast populations, cures for the chronic diseases of old age cannot have the same effect on life expectancy. A cure for cancer would be miraculous and welcome, but it would lead to only a three-year increase in life expectancy at birth. A cure for heart disease would be equally welcome, but we would gain only four-and-a-half years as a result. Gains in longevity from cures for diseases are much smaller today than one might expect because aging bodies face multiple lethal conditions—an effect known as competing causes. Competing causes in aging bodies means that those saved from dying from one condition will eventually face an elevated risk of dying from something else. Death is a zero sum game for which there is no cure.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... _time.html

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:10 pm

Here's clarity on CBD oil legality...
Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of the 400+ ingredients found in marijuana and is not psychoactive. Many states have passed laws allowing for the use of a CBD extract, usually in oil form, with minimal tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and often for the treatment of epilepsy or seizures in seriously ill children.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view ... eID=006473
And a human interest story...
A spectrum of illnesses afflict the children coming to Colorado for medical marijuana: cancer, autism, Crohn’s disease. Most, though, are seeking help for incurable forms of childhood epilepsy — diseases with names taken from medical-journal bylines: Dravet syndrome, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Doose syndrome.

The migration began just over a year ago, when CNN aired a documentary featuring a Colorado girl named Charlotte Figi, whose constant seizures caused her to stop speaking for months. While taking a form of the marijuana treatment, the seizures subsided, and she bloomed anew into a happy child seen laughing and playing in video clips. News stories began reporting that other children were seeing similarly miraculous results. To parents of kids with severe disorders, the articles seemed almost out of a storybook. So it was fitting that the brothers who grew the marijuana for the kids named their product Charlotte’s Web.

Smaller numbers of children in California and other states have also begun to use marijuana to treat seizures. But what makes Colorado the epicenter is the state’s large medical marijuana system, which allows for kids to be registered patients; the growing community of families with sick children; and the feedback loop of publicity that surrounds the treatment. Every happy story about a family seeing success with cannabis in Colorado pushes another family to move here.

Today, there are 427 children under 18 on the state’s medical marijuana registry, including 13 under 2 years old. That total number is up from just 60 in August 2013, when the documentary aired. More arrive every month.

http://extras.denverpost.com/stateofhope/#part1
And surprise, surprise! Big Pharma is lobbying hard against medical marijuana. It's not just "law and order" narco-political apologist cronies like craigr and Reub that are against it.
Our next several blogs will catalogue the various ways drug companies have ruthlessly promoted our nation’s deadly opioid epidemic. This first installment on just the latest outrage- political lobbying to block the legalization of medical marijuana. Future blogs will each tell other aspects of this sordid story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allen-fra ... 87182.html

Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:00 pm

MachineGhost wrote:Here's clarity on CBD oil legality...
Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of the 400+ ingredients found in marijuana and is not psychoactive. Many states have passed laws allowing for the use of a CBD extract, usually in oil form, with minimal tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and often for the treatment of epilepsy or seizures in seriously ill children.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view ... eID=006473
And a human interest story...
A spectrum of illnesses afflict the children coming to Colorado for medical marijuana: cancer, autism, Crohn’s disease. Most, though, are seeking help for incurable forms of childhood epilepsy — diseases with names taken from medical-journal bylines: Dravet syndrome, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Doose syndrome.

The migration began just over a year ago, when CNN aired a documentary featuring a Colorado girl named Charlotte Figi, whose constant seizures caused her to stop speaking for months. While taking a form of the marijuana treatment, the seizures subsided, and she bloomed anew into a happy child seen laughing and playing in video clips. News stories began reporting that other children were seeing similarly miraculous results. To parents of kids with severe disorders, the articles seemed almost out of a storybook. So it was fitting that the brothers who grew the marijuana for the kids named their product Charlotte’s Web.

Smaller numbers of children in California and other states have also begun to use marijuana to treat seizures. But what makes Colorado the epicenter is the state’s large medical marijuana system, which allows for kids to be registered patients; the growing community of families with sick children; and the feedback loop of publicity that surrounds the treatment. Every happy story about a family seeing success with cannabis in Colorado pushes another family to move here.

Today, there are 427 children under 18 on the state’s medical marijuana registry, including 13 under 2 years old. That total number is up from just 60 in August 2013, when the documentary aired. More arrive every month.

http://extras.denverpost.com/stateofhope/#part1
And surprise, surprise! Big Pharma is lobbying hard against medical marijuana. It's not just "law and order" narco-political apologist cronies like craigr and Reub that are against it.
Our next several blogs will catalogue the various ways drug companies have ruthlessly promoted our nation’s deadly opioid epidemic. This first installment on just the latest outrage- political lobbying to block the legalization of medical marijuana. Future blogs will each tell other aspects of this sordid story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allen-fra ... 87182.html
Well, thanks for the compliment!
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:42 am

MachineGhost wrote: EDIT: I found the source...
While eliminating smallpox and curtailing cholera added decades of life to vast populations, cures for the chronic diseases of old age cannot have the same effect on life expectancy. A cure for cancer would be miraculous and welcome, but it would lead to only a three-year increase in life expectancy at birth. A cure for heart disease would be equally welcome, but we would gain only four-and-a-half years as a result. Gains in longevity from cures for diseases are much smaller today than one might expect because aging bodies face multiple lethal conditions—an effect known as competing causes. Competing causes in aging bodies means that those saved from dying from one condition will eventually face an elevated risk of dying from something else. Death is a zero sum game for which there is no cure.

And I wonder what their source is!

The numbers are probably about right, although increases in life expectancy from a starting point of, say, age 60 would be a better piece of information than life expectancy from birth.

It's a good point though. You gotta die of something, so the idea that a preventative regimen of some sort (statin, cancer screening etc) can "save lives" is just stupid, because no one's life can be "saved" in the end - only extended.

I once trolled through the literature looking for reports of how much life is extended by CABG (coronary artery bypass graft). A colleague wanted to compare life extension by CABG to that from epilepsy surgery. Turns out that CABG extends life expectancy by just 3 months. For epilepsy surgery, the calculation was 5 years. Not to mention that CABG actually has a worse cognitive impact than epilepsy (brain) surgery, because of the shower of microemboli to the brain that inevitably occurs during a CABG. This of course has no bearing on how likely a particular treatment is recommended, or reimbursed by insurance.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:10 am

WiseOne wrote:
MachineGhost wrote: EDIT: I found the source...

And I wonder what their source is!

The numbers are probably about right, although increases in life expectancy from a starting point of, say, age 60 would be a better piece of information than life expectancy from birth.

It's a good point though. You gotta die of something, so the idea that a preventative regimen of some sort (statin, cancer screening etc) can "save lives" is just stupid, because no one's life can be "saved" in the end - only extended.

I once trolled through the literature looking for reports of how much life is extended by CABG (coronary artery bypass graft). A colleague wanted to compare life extension by CABG to that from epilepsy surgery. Turns out that CABG extends life expectancy by just 3 months. For epilepsy surgery, the calculation was 5 years. Not to mention that CABG actually has a worse cognitive impact than epilepsy (brain) surgery, because of the shower of microemboli to the brain that inevitably occurs during a CABG. This of course has no bearing on how likely a particular treatment is recommended, or reimbursed by insurance.
"You gotta die of something"? Really now, WiseOne! I expect more from you. ;)
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:10 am

Reub wrote:Well, thanks for the compliment!
So you WERE paying attention!!! :D

I've heard the three year claim about curing cancer for years, but I do wonder what the actual source is. It could be an urban legend by now.

If we got to die of something, then I rather it be by my choice or by my hand than because of our inability to transcend Mother Nature. With CRISPR gene editing technology and organ replacements grown from stem cells, I expect most of us alive right now are going to reach 120+ in relatively fantastic shape. I suspect our greatest threat for forestalling death will be coming from the Byzantine bureaucrats and bioethicist do-gooders.