Get Off this Forum, and Go Outside!

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Get Off this Forum, and Go Outside!

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:41 am

Its only bad for you when you use it to watch TV.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:35 am

“Extreme sitting” – sitting intensely for exercise during free time, is associated with increased thickness and jiggle regardless of diet.
Hat Tip: Assbuilder.com
Austen Heller
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Austen Heller » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:04 am

A few months ago, I was having some back problems, and all the sitting wasn't helping since I found myself naturally slouching a lot. So I made myself a computer station that requires me to stand. It has made a big difference. Now, when I use the computer, the standing burns some low level of calories and I find I can maintain better posture. Plus, after a while my legs get tired, and I want to go do something else besides use the computer. When I used to sit, I would fritter away hours online...
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:58 pm

Austen Heller wrote:A few months ago, I was having some back problems, and all the sitting wasn't helping since I found myself naturally slouching a lot. So I made myself a computer station that requires me to stand. It has made a big difference. Now, when I use the computer, the standing burns some low level of calories and I find I can maintain better posture. Plus, after a while my legs get tired, and I want to go do something else besides use the computer. When I used to sit, I would fritter away hours online...
Standing brings its own set of problems to the table. A proper chair with proper ergonomic support would have prevented slouching (I should know as I've slouched for decades until releatively recently; I've slowly progressed through three improving chairs over the past several years to finally get to a proper posture 24/7). I really don't know why ergonomics isn't more widely known. I've found the below the best for how to choose a proper chair and how to sit in it properly (and which was not easy to find):

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonom ... sting.html

They key thing is if you do anything passive which is what watching TV is and does not engage your brain, then sitting is bad for your health. Anything that involves the brain mitigates any negative effects. Probably because using your brain mops up blood sugar so its not sitting around damaging your organs.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:32 pm

Herman Miller Aeron chair...worth every single expensive penny of it. Do not buy from a secondary source.