Citizen's Dividend

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8783
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Citizen's Dividend

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:47 pm

Mountaineer, it's getting really tiresome how your contributions to every single thread you participate in amount to relating it to God, or abortion, or your religious faith in some other capacity. We all get it. You're a proud member of the LCMS church and your faith is central to you in your remaining years. But abortion has no relationship whatsoever to the proposed "Citizen's Dividend" idea. Imagine how frustrating it would be if I were a radical environmentalist and I was constantly posting stuff like, "What good is a Citizen's Dividend if we're despoiling the planet that sustains those who might benefit?"

It's like, sure, that's a valid point, but go discuss it in a thread about environmentalism.
User avatar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4353
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Citizen's Dividend

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Pointedstick wrote:Mountaineer, it's getting really tiresome how your contributions to every single thread you participate in amount to relating it to God, or abortion, or your religious faith in some other capacity. We all get it. You're a proud member of the LCMS church and your faith is central to you in your remaining years. But abortion has no relationship whatsoever to the proposed "Citizen's Dividend" idea. Imagine how frustrating it would be if I were a radical environmentalist and I was constantly posting stuff like, "What good is a Citizen's Dividend if we're despoiling the planet that sustains those who might benefit?"

It's like, sure, that's a valid point, but go discuss it in a thread about environmentalism.
PS, I value your comments. However, on this one I disagree - I think if you objectively consider infanticide and the idea of a Citizen's Dividend you will see a connection; I also see that I may be wrong about that - I see lots of connections that others do not, and vice versa. Of course, you are free to ignore my posts if they are tiresome. I turn the channel on a lot of stations I think promote harmful ideas. And, of course the moderators are free to ban me if they wish. As to your frustration comment: I actually think I'm open enough that if you constantly posted material on environmentalism (love those 'isms) I'd at least try to understand your view and probably do a whole lot of asking about why you hold that view rather than discounting it out of hand just because my preconceived notion would say you are wacko.
The darkness will always war against the light. And the light must always war against the darkness. You either let the darkness overcome you, or you overcome the darkness. The mission: Whatever darkness, compromise, or ungodly thing still exists in your life, no matter how small, today, root it out. There is no middle ground.
User avatar
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8783
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Citizen's Dividend

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Pointedstick wrote:Mountaineer, it's getting really tiresome how your contributions to every single thread you participate in amount to relating it to God, or abortion, or your religious faith in some other capacity. We all get it. You're a proud member of the LCMS church and your faith is central to you in your remaining years. But abortion has no relationship whatsoever to the proposed "Citizen's Dividend" idea. Imagine how frustrating it would be if I were a radical environmentalist and I was constantly posting stuff like, "What good is a Citizen's Dividend if we're despoiling the planet that sustains those who might benefit?"

It's like, sure, that's a valid point, but go discuss it in a thread about environmentalism.
PS, I value your comments. However, on this one I disagree - I think if you objectively consider infanticide and the idea of a Citizen's Dividend you will see a connection; I also see that I may be wrong about that - I see lots of connections that others do not, and vice versa. Of course, you are free to ignore my posts if they are tiresome. I turn the channel on a lot of stations I think promote harmful ideas. And, of course the moderators are free to ban me if they wish. As to your frustration comment: I actually think I'm open enough that if you constantly posted material on environmentalism (love those 'isms) I'd at least try to understand your view and probably do a whole lot of asking about why you hold that view rather than discounting it out of hand just because my preconceived notion would say you are wacko.
Mountaineer, I value your comments. However, on this one I disagree - I think if you objectively consider the destruction of the environment and the idea of a Citizen's Dividend you will see a connection; I also see that I may be wrong about that - I see lots of connections that others do not, and vice versa. Of course, you are free to ignore my posts if they are tiresome. I turn the channel on a lot of stations I think promote harmful ideas. And, of course the moderators are free to ban me if they wish. As to your frustration comment: I actually think I'm open enough that if you constantly posted material on religion, I'd at least try to understand your view and probably do a whole lot of asking about why you hold that view rather than discounting it out of hand just because my preconceived notion would say you are wacko.

---

YMMV, just my two cents, all in good fun! In the end we're all a bunch of sinners land rapists who will reap what we sow today! ;)
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5994
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: Citizen's Dividend

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
farjean2 wrote:
Xan wrote:I don't think you'll find anyone here (I could be wrong, but definitely not me and Mountaineer) who is a fan of Joel Osteen and his "gospel".

We're a bit off-track in this thread!
Okay, so to bring it back on track, maybe the question should be would Joel Osteen approve of the Citiziens Dividend? Or better yet, how about the almighty?
I think the Almighty might say, render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's, and perhaps throw in a - I've told you this a thousand times, stop your naval gazing and pay attention to what is eternally important. Just guessing. :)
So they have submarine races where you are too? :)
User avatar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4353
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Citizen's Dividend

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:26 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
Pointedstick wrote:Mountaineer, it's getting really tiresome how your contributions to every single thread you participate in amount to relating it to God, or abortion, or your religious faith in some other capacity. We all get it. You're a proud member of the LCMS church and your faith is central to you in your remaining years. But abortion has no relationship whatsoever to the proposed "Citizen's Dividend" idea. Imagine how frustrating it would be if I were a radical environmentalist and I was constantly posting stuff like, "What good is a Citizen's Dividend if we're despoiling the planet that sustains those who might benefit?"

It's like, sure, that's a valid point, but go discuss it in a thread about environmentalism.
PS, I value your comments. However, on this one I disagree - I think if you objectively consider infanticide and the idea of a Citizen's Dividend you will see a connection; I also see that I may be wrong about that - I see lots of connections that others do not, and vice versa. Of course, you are free to ignore my posts if they are tiresome. I turn the channel on a lot of stations I think promote harmful ideas. And, of course the moderators are free to ban me if they wish. As to your frustration comment: I actually think I'm open enough that if you constantly posted material on environmentalism (love those 'isms) I'd at least try to understand your view and probably do a whole lot of asking about why you hold that view rather than discounting it out of hand just because my preconceived notion would say you are wacko.
Mountaineer, I value your comments. However, on this one I disagree - I think if you objectively consider the destruction of the environment and the idea of a Citizen's Dividend you will see a connection; I also see that I may be wrong about that - I see lots of connections that others do not, and vice versa. Of course, you are free to ignore my posts if they are tiresome. I turn the channel on a lot of stations I think promote harmful ideas. And, of course the moderators are free to ban me if they wish. As to your frustration comment: I actually think I'm open enough that if you constantly posted material on religion, I'd at least try to understand your view and probably do a whole lot of asking about why you hold that view rather than discounting it out of hand just because my preconceived notion would say you are wacko.

---

YMMV, just my two cents, all in good fun! In the end we're all a bunch of sinners land rapists who will reap what we sow today! ;)
OK, you got me, I yield to the master. But, I am forgiven. Those stinking land rapists will become filthy rich and are rarely forgiven ... unless they run for office ... or become a TV talking head ... or move to NM. By the way, have you visited the Trinity site? - there's another Citizen's Dividend connection for you to ponder. ;)
The darkness will always war against the light. And the light must always war against the darkness. You either let the darkness overcome you, or you overcome the darkness. The mission: Whatever darkness, compromise, or ungodly thing still exists in your life, no matter how small, today, root it out. There is no middle ground.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11611
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Citizen's Dividend

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:37 pm

What PS said.
Mountaineer wrote: What good is a Citizen's Dividend if we are murdering those who might benefit
Ehh...more for the rest of us? Seriously, you've been asked by a mod now, so how about this:
Put it in the abortion thread or in a new one, and I promise to read it. I don't mean to squelch. O0
The annual inflation rate for the United States is 1.4% for the 12 months ended January 2021
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5637
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Citizen's Dividend

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:55 pm

sophie wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:45 am
Switzerland's guaranteed income referendum went down. 78% of voters voted against:

http://www.oann.com/swiss-voters-to-dec ... come-plan/

The main complaint was that the plan would be too expensive. It was $2500 francs/month per adult and $625/month per child. That's an absurdly high "basic" income level, even given the high living costs in Switzerland. A shame, because it would have been nice for the first vote on a citizen's dividend to be on a realistic plan.
We've discussed this recently here. And, this is part of Yang's plans.

Until reading this here just now I had no idea regarding Switzerland having had an actual vote regarding it.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5637
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Citizen's Dividend

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:47 am
The golden age of activism is in your 20s. My SJW acquaintances are beginning to age out of it as they realize that it doesn't bring in any real money and being dead broke all the time as an adult really sucks. However, older SJW types I know never lose the fire-- they just enter compatible careers, like journalist, magazine editor, lawyer (civil rights or criminal defense, of course) college professor, or head of a nonprofit.
Or, in the extreme.....become a major in Vermont, then go to the Senate and then perpetually run for president while somehow also doing his senatorial duties!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5994
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: Citizen's Dividend

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:23 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 pm
Pointedstick wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:47 am
The golden age of activism is in your 20s. My SJW acquaintances are beginning to age out of it as they realize that it doesn't bring in any real money and being dead broke all the time as an adult really sucks. However, older SJW types I know never lose the fire-- they just enter compatible careers, like journalist, magazine editor, lawyer (civil rights or criminal defense, of course) college professor, or head of a nonprofit.
Or, in the extreme.....become a major in Vermont, then go to the Senate and then perpetually run for president while somehow also doing his senatorial duties!

Vinny
Fortunately for him (and maybe the rest of us) he hasn't bothered much with his Senatorial duties, having almost no legislation to his credit. If "credit" is the right word.
Post Reply