Why it's important to keep your katana on you at all times

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Gabe

Why it's important to keep your katana on you at all times

Post by Gabe »

https://amp.twimg.com/v/b73de87e-2317-4 ... d5f85fd14a

I had to work with a wildly arrogant and socially inept goon like this for awhile. As our team's resident kung fu black belt, he maintained that if Mike Tyson tried to suckerpunch him from behind, we'd better believe that he'd at least get one devastating shin kick in first. What's astonishing is that this kind of traditional martial arts insanity manages to survive in the WORLD CAPITAL OF MMA.
Last edited by Gabe on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Why it's important to keep your katana on you at all times

Post by craigr »

Gabe wrote: https://amp.twimg.com/v/b73de87e-2317-4 ... d5f85fd14a

I had to work with a wildly arrogant and socially inept goon like this for awhile. As our team's resident kung fu black belt, he maintained that if Mike Tyson tried to suckerpunch him from behind, we'd better believe that he'd at least get one devastating shin kick in first. What's astonishing is that this kind of traditional martial arts insanity manages to survive in the WORLD CAPITAL OF MMA.
That was hilarious.

"Everybody has a plan until they get hit." - Mike Tyson

Who I think was probably channeling Clausewitz:"No campaign plan survives first contact with the enemy."

Granted though, not many people are going to charge a guy wielding a katana so he at least got that part right. But I'm not sure this guy is fully aware of what a murder/manslaughter charge is likely to do to his life.
Last edited by craigr on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

I study Aikido and part of our style involves Kendo. It is instructive and absolutely not surprising to me that the sword wielder almost had the sword taken from him.

He clearly had no skill in sword handling. His is the Manga School of Kendo.

Completely the wrong weapon for confined quarters. Too long. A knife would be better.

You don't brandish a sword. You draw and deploy (stab, cut) if your life is in danger, or in defense of a third party whose life is in danger. But, it better well be a very special third party for me to get involved. If not a blood relative or lifelong friend, I'd just quietly leave. Seriously, intervention is too damn dangerous.

Quick-draw and spray (no warning) of Inferno into the eyes of the perps would have ended it all very quickly.

Very dramatic demo of Inferno:

https://youtu.be/YwiYR9WzSPY
Last edited by ochotona on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

I carry a Benchmade automatic knife, legal in Texas. Fast to deploy to cut away jammed seatbelts, glass-breaker nib on the tang for getting out of a flooded car. I imagine it being used for rescue more than fighting.

Last edited by ochotona on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Oh my god, what a complete doofus that katana boy is! LOL until  :'(
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Like in most athletic activities, I think that people misunderstand the mental element of fighting because most people fight so rarely.

Police officers train with their sidearms constantly, and yet still seem to fire dozens of rounds with most of them missing their target when they use them in real situations.

The way the mental strain of physical conflict is handled seems to have a lot more effect on outcomes than any particular technique. The best approach, of course, is to handle the mental strain well enough to avoid the conflict altogether.