Reversing Diabetes

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Reversing Diabetes

Post by MachineGhost »

Mark Leavy wrote: MG - you seem pretty technical, but this post is damn suspect.  Human flesh generates about 1 watt per kilo of wasted heat.

If you are typing via mental telepathy from your coma, consuming 650 calories per day then I calculate you weigh about 32 kilos.  (~70 lbs)
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Mark Leavy wrote: I've been thinking a lot about metabolic syndrome lately - as I've had a few friends dealing with cancer and I firmly believe that cancer is a metabolic disease (energy pathways) and to a lesser extent an immune system failure.
I feel you're oversimplyfing the assault.  Cancer is resulting from the aberrant: progenitor stem cells, malnutrition, toxins, epigenetic dysfunctions and biochemical imbalances.  It does no good to focus on, say, just eating organic, raw food if you're not also detoxifying any of the 60,000 unregulated chemicals in our air, food, water and environment.  Don't be an individualist ideologue about any one cancerific process; be a collectivist ideologue!
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

MachineGhost wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote: I've been thinking a lot about metabolic syndrome lately - as I've had a few friends dealing with cancer and I firmly believe that cancer is a metabolic disease (energy pathways) and to a lesser extent an immune system failure.
I feel you're oversimplyfing the assault.  Cancer is resulting from the aberrant: progenitor stem cells, malnutrition, toxins, epigenetic dysfunctions and biochemical imbalances.  It does no good to focus on, say, just eating organic, raw food if you're not also detoxifying any of the 60,000 unregulated chemicals in our air, food, water and environment.  Don't be an individualist ideologue about any one cancerific process; be a collectivist ideologue!
MG - I completely agree with you that we are surrounded by millions of things that can initiate cancer development in our bodies.  But I also think that all of those stressors are perfectly natural and part of our exposure to the world of solar radiation, dust particles, random carcinogens from everyday plant and animal life...

I tend to go off the reservation in that I think a healthy body's natural defense mechanisms are constantly cleaning up and protecting us.  (autophagy, apoptosis, immune system...).  It is only when these systems break down that cancer can get a foothold.

Basically I'm saying that cancer is actually a normal part of everyday living.  Cancer is the trash and damage from living.  Cancer only becomes a problem when the maintenance and cleanup crew stop showing up for work.

That's my working theory.  Don't take medical advice from random people on the internet.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko »

Mark Leavy wrote: a healthy body's natural defense mechanisms are constantly cleaning up and protecting us.  (autophagy, apoptosis, immune system...).  It is only when these systems break down that cancer can get a foothold.

Basically I'm saying that cancer is actually a normal part of everyday living.  Cancer is the trash and damage from living.  Cancer only becomes a problem when the maintenance and cleanup crew stop showing up for work.

That's my working theory.
  and a damn good one +1.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Benko wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote: a healthy body's natural defense mechanisms are constantly cleaning up and protecting us.  (autophagy, apoptosis, immune system...).  It is only when these systems break down that cancer can get a foothold.

That's my working theory.
  and a damn good one +1.
Sounds good to me too.  You guys are experts when posing answers to the "whats".  I can hardly wait until you get your heads around the "whys".  Have to move to another thread to ponder that one.  ;)

Edit:  Back to taking out the trash:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtTC3pG ... AK47bandit

... M
Last edited by Mountaineer on Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs »

There are a lot of modern carcinogenic substances that aren't really "natural", in the way ML suggests, I'd say.

And, it may well be that we can clean up a certain amount/kind of junk, but not all of it and/or not as much of it as we may be exposed to today.

Also, I agree that lean and strong is a good thing (although for older folks, it seems to be a good idea to have a few extra pounds in case you get sick).

But I'd be cautious about sun exposure - that increases skin cancer risks.

And, complex carbs are a good thing.
Last edited by jafs on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Mountaineer wrote: Sounds good to me too.  You guys are experts when posing answers to the "whats".  I can hardly wait until you get your heads around the "whys".  Have to move to another thread to ponder that one.  ;)

jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs »

I'm always surprised that people don't make a distinction between simple and complex carbs.

Complex carbs, as found in whole grains/vegetables/etc. are a good thing, while simple carbs are bad.  The reason is that simple carbs are processed much more quickly in the body into sugar, which then affects insulin production, etc.

Whole grains and other sources of complex carbs are broken down more slowly, so they're not a substance that leads towards diabetes.  In fact, the main dietary change I made when "pre-diabetic" was to greatly reduce things like white rice/bread/pasta, and substitute whole grain versions of those.

If you're a vegetarian and don't want to eat a lot of milk/cheese/eggs, then whole grains (combined with legumes/beans) are a good source of protein as well.  For example, we went to an Indian restaurant last night, and had a lentil curry - instead of white rice, we ordered a whole wheat bread. 

They also have a lot of fiber, which is a good thing as well.
Last edited by jafs on Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs »

The conclusion of the study ML posted is that increased levels of polyunsaturated fats are a good idea, and help to prevent metabolic syndrome.

It seems to have been deleted.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

jafs wrote: The conclusion of the study ML posted is that increased levels of polyunsaturated fats are a good idea, and help to prevent metabolic syndrome.

It seems to have been deleted.
Yea, I posted before I was finished.  Still working on it.
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs »

Sure.

But it looks like the conclusions of that study aren't that increased levels of polyunsatured fats are a bad thing, it's that they're a good thing, as far as metabolic syndrome.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

MangoMan wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote: Back to Reub's topic on Diabetes...

I've been thinking a lot about metabolic syndrome lately - as I've had a few friends dealing with cancer and I firmly believe that cancer is a metabolic disease (energy pathways) and to a lesser extent an immune system failure.

Diabetes type 2 is a metabolic disease.
It kills me that as a society we are still fighting metabolic syndrome.  We KNOW how to prevent it.

1) Stay lean and strong.
2) Limit energy intake from carbs and polyunsaturated fats.
3) Stay active outdoors with sun exposure to bare skin.
4) Practice some form of periodic fasting.

Bada bing.  No more metabolic disorders.
Mark,
The carbs is obvious; do you have a reliable source to link to that explains the connection with polyunsaturates?
Pugchief -
I can find no journal approved papers that suggest PUFA's are a contributor to metabolic syndrome.

This paper represents the general consensus in the medical world.
Serum Omega-6 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids and the Metabolic Syndrome: A Longitudinal Population-based Cohort Study

Full Text
http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/176/3/253.full

Abstract
The serum fatty acid composition reflects the dietary fatty acid composition from the past few days to several weeks. However, the role of serum omega-3 (from fish and fish oils) and omega-6 (from vegetable oils) polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) in the course of metabolic syndrome is poorly understood. At the Primary Health Care Unit in Pieksämäki, Finland, all subjects born in 1942, 1947, 1952, 1957, and 1962 (n = 1,294) were invited for health checkups in 1997–1998 and 2003–2004. Metabolic syndrome was defined by using the new, harmonized criteria. The serum omega-3 PUFAs, omega-6 PUFAs, and total fatty acids were analyzed by proton nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Altogether, data from both checkups were available for 665 subjects. After adjustment for age, sex, and baseline body mass index, the incidence of metabolic syndrome between the 2 checkups with a 6.4-year follow-up was inversely associated (P < 0.001) with the increased relative proportion of omega-6 PUFAs in serum lipids. Further adjustment for body mass index change, lipid medication, smoking, alcohol intake, and physical activity conveyed similar results. The authors did not find any significant associations between omega-3 PUFAs and the incidence of metabolic syndrome. Therefore, their results suggest that the change in the relative proportion of omega-6 PUFAs in serum lipids is inversely related to the incidence of metabolic syndrome.

---------

My personal opinions are much different and have been influenced by a number of independent (and somewhat fringe) researchers.

I have a lot of respect for Petro Dobromylskyj at hyperlipid.com
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/ ... rnish.html
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/ ... -pufa.html

And for the "Yelling Stop" site
http://yelling-stop.blogspot.com/2016/0 ... xcess.html

And Michael Eades
https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2016/02 ... even-more/

Again, this is just what I do.  It works for me.  Like investing, I think everyone should do their own research and come to their own conclusions.
Last edited by Mark Leavy on Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Mark, I know you've spoken favorably about eggs in the past, but egg yolks contain 16% Linoleic Acid--probably too much to eat egg yolks every day. Do you limit your egg consumption to a few days a week or something? Or figure that a low-carb, periodic-fasting diet makes up for the LA?
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Pointedstick wrote: Mark, I know you've spoken favorably about eggs in the past, but egg yolks contain 16% Linoleic Acid--probably too much to eat egg yolks every day. Do you limit your egg consumption to a few days a week or something? Or figure that a low-carb, periodic-fasting diet makes up for the LA?
Hey PS.

Yes, I am still a huge fan of the nutritional value of eggs and I eat 5 to 6 egg yolks every day - depending on whether the country I am in sells them by the 10's or by the dozen.

I just drank down these 5 yolks a few minutes ago.

[img width=800]http://i68.tinypic.com/30vf1c3.png[/img]

As an aside, the eggs in 3rd world countries are soo... delicious.  Like drinking sweet sweet cream.  Even the best eggs from the trendy stores in the states taste somewhat bland.  The worst eggs are the Omega-3 fortified eggs where the chickens have been fed flaxseed.  Those eggs taste like rancid fish.

To address your question on the Linoleic Acid in eggs... yes all animal fats have some PUFAs.  Egg yolks have about 0.7 grams per yolk.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dai ... ucts/113/2

For 6 yolks, that is 4.2 grams or 38 calories.  About 1.5% of my total daily energy.  Pretty respectable.  Of course, pork and chicken and avocados and olive oil also have some PUFAS - but none of it compares to spreading margarine on your toast or frying your eggs in canola oil.

Today was a good day.  4 hours of walking in the tropical sun with no sunscreen.  First food of the day around 5pm.
Fresh ceviche, red wine, soda water, an avocado and some cheese.  Topped off with eggs when I got back to the condo and a snifter of rum right now makes the evening.  I'll eat again sometime late afternoon / evening tomorrow.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Desert wrote: Mark, that was a great description of your day; sounds like fun. 

Hey, regarding the flavor of eggs: what do you think of the taste of eggs from the average backyard chicken?  Those are my favorite.  I suppose they're "free range," but generally fed real food, and free to scrounge around in the yard eating bugs, etc.  Those eggs are my favorites.
I think they are the same as everyday third world eggs.  I.e. delicious.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Mark Leavy wrote:
Desert wrote: Mark, that was a great description of your day; sounds like fun. 

Hey, regarding the flavor of eggs: what do you think of the taste of eggs from the average backyard chicken?  Those are my favorite.  I suppose they're "free range," but generally fed real food, and free to scrounge around in the yard eating bugs, etc.  Those eggs are my favorites.
I think they are the same as everyday third world eggs.  I.e. delicious.
My understanding is that "cage free", "free range" labels on eggs don't mean very much.  But "pasture raised" is the real thing.  Have you tried eggs labeled "pasture raised"?  These folks produce and distribute them:
http://vitalfarms.com/
and they've recently branched into butter as well.  I think their eggs are sold under different names in different regions.  Here they're called "Texas Chicken Ranch" and have a big cartoon thing on the carton.  Inside there's a small newsletter (I think it rotates quarterly) about how the "girls" are doing.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I just found this very good article on reversing prediabetes (which effects about 80 million Americans).

"Here Is How You Can Reverse Prediabetes:

1. Stop eating fruit!
What’s so bad about fruits? Fruits can raise blood sugar! Although fruits have many health benefits including fiber, antioxidants and nutrients, fruits also have fructose, natural sugar. Some fruits are worse culprits than others. For example, fruits high in sugar with more carbohydrates per serving are; bananas, apples and pears. Fruits that are low in sugar include blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.

Every kind of fruit can elevate your blood sugar.

Occasionally, however, you can eat a few berries, which are low in sugar, as a treat. Another way you may enjoy limited fruit is by eating some healthy fat with it. The fat slows down your metabolism and your blood sugar does not rise as fast. Two sources of healthy fat that are excellent are avocados and coconut oil.

2. Eat a diet low in carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are converted into glucose a simple sugar in digestion. Eating too many carbohydrates raises blood sugar and increases the demand of insulin from the pancreas. Another tip is if you eat carbohydrates with protein or a healthy fat it helps slow down the increase in blood sugar levels.
Stay away from alcohol, another carbohydrate which can increase blood sugar.

3. A Gluten free or Paleo diet is beneficial for helping reverse prediabetes. One way to limit carbohydrates is to adopt the Paleo diet. Also, if you eat gluten free it may be easy to reduce carbohydrates, but don’t forget about the processed gluten free food which contains carbohydrates! Another benefit of the gluten free diet is that you can reduce inflammation in the intestines which may cause blood sugar to spike.

4. Eat every 2 hours. Eating small meals or healthy snacks every two hours helps keep your blood sugar steady.

5. Put coconut oil in your diet. Use coconut oil for cooking and in your recipes. Eating this healthy fat with any carbohydrates will help slow down your metabolism. You can also have a couple of teaspoons throughout the day to help keep your blood sugar steady. Coconut oil is great because it gives you energy without insulin spikes."

There's more to the article. The only thing that I'm not certain of is the point of eating small meals every 2 hours to stabilize blood sugar levels. I've heard other doctors say this before but it goes contrary to the concept of intermittent fasting. I'm not sure which theory is correct.
curlew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by curlew »

Reub wrote: Here Is How You Can Reverse Prediabetes:
How can you tell when you've reversed it?
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I would guess when your blood glucose numbers,  especially fasting,  return to more normal levels.
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs »

The A1c test is the test, along with higher fasting levels, that's used to determine pre-diabetes.

So, if/when you get your A1c down to more correct levels, that's a good thing.

In my opinion, if your fasting levels are ok, your A1c level is ok, and your glucose levels a couple of hours after a meal are ok, then you're processing sugar correctly.

The range for pre-diabetic used to be an A1c test of 6-7 - for some reason they moved the levels down a bit, but my doctor thinks 6 and under is fine.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Here's a hypothetical - just for fun.  There are plenty of holes in it - so don't get too worked up.

Let's say LargeTex finds out from his doctor that he is converging on Type II diabetes.  LargeTex is 5'8" and weighs 200lbs.  TexMedico tells LargeTex that the sure cure to Diabetes II is to lose 50 lbs - by whatever means.

LargeTex is a good baptist and eschews meth and lines of cocaine - and instead decides to use diet and exercise to reach MediumTex.

He's a focussed guy and limits himself to one meal a day.  A nice piece of salmon.  A greek salad and a glass of red wine.  Pretty brutal, but LargeTex never fails when he sets himself to a goal.  He was shooting for 2 lbs a week, but over 6 months he averages just a bit less than that. Still, 6 months later, LargeTex is now MediumTex.

Type II diabetes is long gone.  MediumTex is at his ideal college wrestling weight, 150 lbs.

After 6 months of salmon, greek salad and red wine, MediumTex decides that he wants to keep eating this way for the rest of his life - but he also wants to maintain his current ideal weight (No TinyTex for him), so he adds a full stick of butter for dessert at the end of his evening meal.

Served in a cool crystal dish with a silver spoon and a slight sprinkling of coarse salt.  This exactly compensates for the 4 ounces of human lard he has been metabolizing daily over the previous 6 months.

No change.
Did he suddenly move from "Heart Healthy" to "Cardiac Risk"?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Pug, I suggest you read some of Malcolm Kendrick, and stop worrying about butter, eggs, and natural oils clogging up your arteries.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/feed/
Test of the signature line
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs »

The jury's still out on coconut oil, from my reading.

I'll stick with EVOO for now.

And, I don't know why people are still confused about eggs.  It seems to me that it's been a long time ago that the distinction between "dietary" cholesterol and "serum" cholesterol was discovered/publicized.

Originally, because eggs contained a fairly high amount of cholesterol, people were concerned about that.  But, relatively soon afterwards, it was discovered that dietary cholesterol didn't translate into serum cholesterol, and that it was actually dietary saturated fats that turned into serum cholesterol.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Mark Leavy wrote: Did he suddenly move from "Heart Healthy" to "Cardiac Risk"?
Hmm, not suddenly, but his diet is very narrow and lacking in many protective nutritional factors against not just cardiac diease but many others.  He needs to eat a wider variety and quantity of vegetables/fruit and supplement, to say the least.  Remember, food is software.  And the software influences hardware's epigenetic expressions.  No one food can optimally activate all possible pathways.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

jafs wrote: The jury's still out on coconut oil, from my reading.
My reading of it is its all about the MCT and other antimicrobial fatty acids and very little to do with the saturated fat which is primarily (18%) myristic acid which strongly raises cholesterol and (8%) palmitic acid which also does so, but I don't remember if that is the HDL fraction or LDL fraction.  Probably the former more than the latter.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.