Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

williswine
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Brita faucet filters

Post by williswine » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:58 am

MachineGhost wrote:
Benko wrote: How much work are the reverse osmosis units to use/maintain?  e.g. the one MG recommended?
It set it and forget it pretty much.  I never think about it except when I need to test the water with a TDS meter about once a year.

Then you just unscrew the housings on each of the four filters, clean it out best as you can, pop in the new filters and close 'em back up.  Just make sure you know what tubes go from whom to whom.  I'd tag 'em and its corresponding filter housing with colors or notes next time so its not so confusing.  The trickiest part is remembering to turn the cold water diverter valve back on!
What bothers me with RO is bacterial growth. I have not researched this aspect. As I believe bleach destroys the RO membrane, using bleach for disinfection of tubes and filters would require a very thorough rinse. So what to do? Use bleach only in the tubes and rinse them thoroughly while replacing the filters as recommended, or rinse and let air dry, some other method? Would love to see some studies on this.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:25 pm

Is there a reason why minerals have to be consumed in the water we drink?  I got to wondering whether salting food liberally with sea salt or Himalayan salt would accomplish the same thing, or whether there's a concentration gradient issue.  I don't remember much from College biology, but the principle that molecules in solution cross membranes in a direction that tends to equalize their concentration on both sides seems as though it might be relevant.
Last edited by Maddy on Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are on the verge of a global transformation; all we need is the. . . right major crisis. . . and the nation will accept the. . . new world order." David Rockefeller (1994)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:29 am

Maddy wrote: Is there a reason why minerals have to be consumed in the water we drink?
I think if you were to drink mineral-free (say, distilled water) all the time, it would not be good for your body. Acidic, or something.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:36 am

Or at least mineral free water would lack the benefits of water with e.g. magnesium (which many people don't get enough of anyway).
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham