The Surprising Origin Story of Wonder Woman

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

The Surprising Origin Story of Wonder Woman

Post by MachineGhost »

[quote=http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cult ... 180952710/]Hidden behind this controversy is one reason for all those chains and ropes, which has to do with the history of the fight for women’s rights. Because Marston kept his true relationship with Olive Byrne a secret, he kept his family’s ties to Margaret Sanger a secret, too. Marston, Byrne and Holloway, and even Harry G. Peter, the artist who drew Wonder Woman, had all been powerfully influenced by the suffrage, feminism and birth control movements. And each of those movements had used chains as a centerpiece of its iconography.[/quote]
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
ZedThou

Re: The Surprising Origin Story of Wonder Woman

Post by ZedThou »

Are you working your way up through the Smithsonian magazine archives?  ;)

I read it cover-to-cover each month, and there's always an article or two about topics which I've not given much  thought previously. Some articles I've enjoyed recently includes those about Peanuts, the free county of Jones, archaeology from the time of Christ, Borneo deforestation for the sake of palm oil plantations, the plight of the Snow Leopard, and Dayton, TN.
Oh, such a beautiful tarmac. Look how smooth it is. See how smooth it is? And it's warm, and it's hard. - Charley Boorman Long Way Round
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

ZedThou wrote: Are you working your way up through the Smithsonian magazine archives?  ;)

I read it cover-to-cover each month, and there's always an article or two about topics which I've not given much  thought previously. Some articles I've enjoyed recently includes those about Peanuts, the free county of Jones, archaeology from the time of Christ, Borneo deforestation for the sake of palm oil plantations, the plight of the Snow Leopard, and Dayton, TN.
Somehow I received a free subscription in 2014 so I'm working through it.  Too bad the subscription price is so expensive or I'd consider it.  I don't really need even more stuff taking up my time!  hah
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

ZedThou wrote: I read it cover-to-cover each month, and there's always an article or two about topics which I've not given much  thought previously. Some articles I've enjoyed recently includes those about Peanuts, the free county of Jones, archaeology from the time of Christ, Borneo deforestation for the sake of palm oil plantations, the plight of the Snow Leopard, and Dayton, TN.
I have an offer for 9 issues for $9 which is pretty good compared to the $29 they normally want at 11 issues a year.  Have you been offered a better deal before?
Last edited by MachineGhost on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZedThou

Post by ZedThou »

A couple of years ago I paid $10 for a one-year subscription. And last year I renewed, $22 for two more years.
Oh, such a beautiful tarmac. Look how smooth it is. See how smooth it is? And it's warm, and it's hard. - Charley Boorman Long Way Round
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

ZedThou wrote: A couple of years ago I paid $10 for a one-year subscription. And last year I renewed, $22 for two more years.
$10.04 here: https://www.discountmags.com/magazine/s ... fer=MPS16P

I guess I'll jump on it.  It's just too fun reading about things you never thought you'd have an interest in, like the Elliott Ness and Hoover rivalry, the rich black slave Robert Webster during the Civil War, Nazi Rudolf Hess's possible insanity about food poisoning while imprisoned (but he saved his food in satchets to be analyzed and which still exist), etc..  Crack pipe stuff!
Last edited by MachineGhost on Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

another look at wonder woman's origins and history http://www.tcj.com/reviews/77979/
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence