Running shoes/sneakers

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Running shoes/sneakers

Post by bedraggled » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:37 pm

In the past 10 years, new footwear has deteriorated.  My sneakers/shoes last 6 months before the soles would begin to fall off.  Then the sides pull away.

I just found a pair of my son's ten year old New Balance that he outgrew and they seem to last.

Is the secret that I must pay $100 or more or must the greater cash outlay be combined with particular manufacturers.

I bought New Balance in 1984 for $80 and they lasted 14 years.

Running?  Walking?  Cross-training?

Any thoughts?
Last edited by bedraggled on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Running shoes/sneakers

Post by dualstow » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:51 pm

I have heard that you should replace shoes every 6 months because they wear down, but I tend to keep old shoes around for gardening and dirty jobs. It's certainly possible that shoes can be added to the "they don't make'em like they used to list."

Maybe you could join that barefoot running revolution.

Just make sure you get proper support, especially if you have a high arch. That's far more important than how often you replace your sneakers.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Alanw
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Alanw » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Last fall we went to Spain for a month and anticipated doing a lot of walking. We went to a nearby Skechers outlet and ended up purchasing 2 pair of Skechers Gowalks. They are the most comfortable walking shoe I have ever worn. We walked 5 to 10 miles a day and never had any foot or leg problems.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:22 pm

MangoMan wrote: I have a high arch, so I use Dr. Scholls arch supports in all my shoes.
Me, too. Or most, anyway.
RIP Marcello Gandini
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:24 pm

converse chuck taylors (high top all-star) are my go to standard, they wear like iron can be washed in the laundry machine, used as creek waders, rock climbing shoes, hiking boots, or look retro stylish most anywhere.. the downside is that if you have trained your gait, walk, posture to need heavy support, heal strike padding, arch support etc etc. they would take some adjusting to get used to, i am the opposite i have worn flat bottom shoes for so long padded heals and all the technology they add to running and walking shoes makes my feet and sometimes my lower back hurt...

the cost to time to wear out ratio on some converse high tops is pretty unbeatable (they would make the AK 47 of everything list with ease)
Last edited by l82start on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:11 pm

l82start wrote: converse chuck taylors (high top all-star) are my go to standard, they wear like iron can be washed in the laundry machine, used as creek waders, rock climbing shoes, hiking boots, or look retro stylish most anywhere.. the downside is that if you have trained your gait, walk, posture to need heavy support, heal strike padding, arch support etc etc. they would take some adjusting to get used to, i am the opposite i have worn flat bottom shoes for so long padded heals and all the technology they add to running and walking shoes makes my feet and sometimes my lower back hurt...

the cost to time to wear out ratio on some converse high tops is pretty unbeatable (they would make the AK 47 of everything list with ease)
Agreed. A few weeks ago I retired my pair of Chucks. I'd worn them for 12 years. I'm trying out a pair of Levis Porters now.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
lazyboy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lazyboy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:12 pm

I'v been able to buy New Balance (made in America!) for a discount at Big 5 Sporting Goods. http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/
Inside of me there are two dogs. One is mean and evil and the other is good and they fight each other all the time. When asked which one wins I answer, the one I feed the most.�

Sitting Bull
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:57 pm

I wear only SAS shoes; they are by far the most comfortable shoes I've ever had. The uppers last for many years but the soles do wear out and the company no longer provides a sole replacement service. Fortunately, a third-party shoe repair company now does so, and the shoes are as about as good as new afterwards.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:04 pm

Since I've started wearing shoes while traveling, I've been wearing these for the last 3 years.

Dash - from softstar shoes
http://www.softstarshoes.com/adult-shoe ... ack-1.html

They are technically running shoes, but I use them for everyday walking (~10 miles per day) and they look good enough to wear as a dinner/dress shoe also.  A little weird, but good enough.

What I can't get over, though, is the Vibram soles.  I get the 2mm soles and I can't wear them out.  After two years of 10 miles a day, I replaced them because the uppers were worn out, but the soles still seemed brand new.  And they are only 2mm thick.  Crazy :)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:48 pm

I like that you can choose your own colors!
Mark Leavy wrote: Since I've started wearing shoes while traveling, I've been wearing these for the last 3 years.

http://i66.tinypic.com/nb8bv9.png

What I can't get over, though, is the Vibram soles.  I get the 2mm soles and I can't wear them out.  After two years of 10 miles a day, I replaced them because the uppers were worn out, but the soles still seemed brand new.  And they are only 2mm thick.  Crazy :)
RIP Marcello Gandini
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:13 pm

dualstow wrote: I like that you can choose your own colors!
Mark Leavy wrote: Since I've started wearing shoes while traveling, I've been wearing these for the last 3 years.

http://i66.tinypic.com/nb8bv9.png

the Hawthorne Chukka - Onyx look pretty good too..  both are a bit out of my price range but i do like shoes with the "2mm Vibram soles" i have a pare of sandals made with those they feel great to walk on..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:31 am

THanks, folks,

Good info.

I must be doing something wrong.

Question: do high top sneaks look peculiar on someone contemplating collecting Social Security next year?

Thanks again.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:50 am

lazyboy wrote: I'v been able to buy New Balance (made in America!)
My grey sneaks from New Balance say 'Made in Indonesia' unfortunately.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:28 am

Wait, you're complaining about my fashion choices and you wear "dress shorts" and black socks? ;D
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:46 am

Fascinating!
rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rickb » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:07 am

dualstow wrote:
lazyboy wrote: I'v been able to buy New Balance (made in America!)
My grey sneaks from New Balance say 'Made in Indonesia' unfortunately.
Some New Balance models are still made in the US - but I think at this point most are not.

http://www.newbalance.com/made-in-usa-1/
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:14 pm

What are dress shorts?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:12 pm

bedraggled wrote: Question: do high top sneaks look peculiar on someone contemplating collecting Social Security next year?
You could get this and look really peculiar...  http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/1498 ... e-end-year

Only leprauchans or gangsters wear "dress shorts", black socks and dress shoes!  LOL
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:53 pm

I think the exception to pug's guideline would be Bermuda. Lots of shorts and long socks, even dark ones, gallivanting around Bermuda.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:04 pm

MangoMan wrote:
dualstow wrote: I think the exception to pug's guideline would be Bermuda. Lots of shorts and long socks, even dark ones, gallivanting around Bermuda.
Never been there, so can't comment other than to say just cuz they do it there, doesn't make right.
Ah, but it makes it right in Bermuda. I have been there, and it's accepted by men and women alike.

I suppose it's like the "rule" that if enough people get something wrong, it become right, like using "begging the question" to mean "raising the question."
RIP Marcello Gandini
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:34 am

dualstow wrote: Ah, but it makes it right in Bermuda. I have been there, and it's accepted by men and women alike.

I suppose it's like the "rule" that if enough people get something wrong, it become right, like using "begging the question" to mean "raising the question."
I'm really surprised Bermuda shorts isn't another marketing fiction but an actual British thing from Bermuda.

Giving it some more thought, the core problem is that socks are too long when wearing shorts.  That's what makes you look like a dorky leprachaun.  Manufacturer's are starting to come out with a new men's size sock so you don't have to accordion your dorky socks: mid-crew.

I'm sure its still considered gay fluidly sexual to wear ankle socks -- at least if they can be seen.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat May 07, 2016 9:34 am

Kriegsspiel wrote: I'm trying out a pair of Levis Porters now.
The Levis are starting to fail after about a month of use. $40 sure doesn't buy what it used to. A hole somehow appeared where the shoe creases, the laces are disintegrating, and the side and sole are coming apart.

Last edited by Kriegsspiel on Sun May 08, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sun May 08, 2016 5:56 am

I stopped by an eminent running store Friday in Manhattan, Amsterdam Av @77th Street.  Many New York City marathoners buy their stuff there.

A sales person said all footwear is now designed to last 6 months.  She asserted that use beyond 6 months can result in injury.  She told of a customer with foot pain who had worn her shoes for 9 months.  Old shoes, big pain?  Or built in obsolescence?

BTW, the ten year old, unworn New Balance pair I could in my son's closet are going strong at 3 months.  The heals show little wear.  With orthotics inserted, I may get a couple of years out of them.

Thoughts?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sun May 08, 2016 8:53 am

Probably shoes have entered the era that many other products are already in: where you need to assume that a generic product is total garbage. If you want something that lasts, you need to seek out a company that specifically advertises (and has a reputation for) quality and longevity. It also helps to be able to recognize markets of cheapness and quality. Soft rubber and glues are bad signs. Hard rubber and heavy, redundant stitching are good ones.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mr Vacuum
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mr Vacuum » Sun May 08, 2016 11:40 am

Shoes made for tennis may be the way to go. They're tough. The Wilsons I bought in 2000 are still going strong for yard work. New Nikes feel similar.