Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Running shoes/sneakers

Post by bedraggled »

Shawn,

What tennis shoe maker do you recommend?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

FWIW, I am a big fan of Ecco shoes. They're expensive, but very well-made and durable. Been wearing my current pair for about five years, day-in-day-out. It's my only pair of shoes.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mr Vacuum
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mr Vacuum »

bedraggled wrote: Shawn,

I can't offer a comparative recommendation except to say those old Wilsons are still going and the new Nike Air Cage Courts, though untested, seem as tough. If you don't use them for actual tennis (scuffing and cutting constantly on asphalt), they might last forever  :) I've never had running or basketball shoes last as long.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Mr Vacuum wrote:

I can't offer a comparative recommendation except to say those old Wilsons are still going and the new Nike Air Cage Courts, though untested, seem as tough. If you don't use them for actual tennis (scuffing and cutting constantly on asphalt), they might last forever  :) I've never had running or basketball shoes last as long.
I second the Wilson tennis shoes. Mine are indestructible and the most comfortable for my feet. I even use them for jogging with an orthotic inside.
rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rickb »

MangoMan wrote:

I play singles twice a week. New Balance is this best. They will last 6 months which is more than any other brand I have tried.
Careful with that.  New Balance has shifted production for many of its shoes to places like Vietnam, with minor differences in the model number.  In my experience, at least some of their shoes have gone WAY downhill.  I'm not saying everything they make now is crap - but definitely caveat emptor.
MoonLight

Post by MoonLight »

Hi all,

Have you tried barefoot shoes (zero drop shoes)? In my opinion and experience vibram five fingers, are really good and long lasting. They are excellent for running, training and daily use.

Any way, after I read the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. I retired all of my shoes and migrated to Vibram five fingers and Huaraches sandals (barefoot sandals).

My feet thank me for that :) (I no longer have to search for the widest shoes 4E etc. and I have no bunion pains in my feet).

I just wanted to share this with you.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

I tried Vibram Five Fingers shoes at one point, easing into them over a period of months, eventually culminating with wearing them during a hiking trip for 10-15 miles a day. The shoes injured the nerves in my feet and I temporarily lost sensation in the outer sides of my big toes for several weeks. I am reasonably sure it was the shoes because I only wore them for the second half of the trip and the problem started showed up after the first day I was wearing them.

The condition eventually went away on its own, but it was rather scary. Probably a pinched nerve or something, but I tossed the shoes and will never wear another one.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MoonLight

Post by MoonLight »

Interesting. I hike with my Vibram every weekend, and I didn't have any problem with them.  I love them.  :)
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Looks like I struck gold with this thread.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Beware of the minimalist type of shoes, unless you'll be wearing them in a soft meadow. Little support can lead to major injuries.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Reub wrote: Beware of the minimalist type of shoes, unless you'll be wearing them in a soft meadow. Little support can lead to major injuries.
Yeah, that was exactly what I found. Since then I've been wearing Ecco Men's Grip Urbaneering shoes, racking up, by my rough estimation, at least 4,000 miles on them, occasionally 10 per day or more. They're incredible.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

PS, those Ecco shoes even sound tough! I agree that New Balance's line has gone way downhill, with the sacrifice of support and quality. Back to the minimalist shoes, I actually know of a long distance runner who never had a problem until switching to minimalist shoes. After switching to them she promptly broke her heel bone.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

My ~2 month old Chuck Taylors are exhibiting the same wear pattern as the Levis did. It's funny, the last pair of Chucks I had lasted about 10 years, I bought them around 2002 or so. The latest ones are the first I've had of the Nike produced Chucks, and they are pretty shitty. Cross another brand off the list.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

that sucks..., i wear chucks (high-top) all day everyday for work and i am on my feet 8hrs+. i have yet to truly wear a pair out. when they do show wear it is almost always the foot bed on the inside that develops holes long before the soles or uppers do..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence