Where did you go to School?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Where did you go to School?

Post by Greg » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:09 pm

Desert wrote: I've heard only good things about Penn State.  I visited the campus once, a long time ago, for a football game.  Cool place.  I think PSU fits well in the B1G too.  Big school, good academics, great football tradition, lots of drunken undergrads wandering the streets.  It's beautiful.
I did really like the school but it was on the cold side and a very overcast city so during the winter you didn't see the sun much. Also that made the snow not melt which just turned into gray sludge.

And I was there when it was voted the #1 party school in the country (2009). I never got too much into the party scene but did have my fun there. It always bothered me when I'd be getting out of the labs at 1 in the morning on a Wednesday and people were STILL trying to get into clubs. Didn't these people go to class?? I also never went to a game while I was there. I only ever went to one college game (Georgia Tech vs UMiami) because it was free.

I was also glad that I had another school to talk about (Georgia Tech) for where I said I went to school when the whole Jerry Sandusky stuff was exploding in the press.
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:23 pm

Yeah, the Sandusky thing was awful.  I was there in the early 90's, shortly after Penn State joined the Big 10 (at an Illinois game, of course).  It was cold, dark and wet.  It was a night game.  Some of the PSU fans were friendly, but many were drunk and angry.  The Sandusky-coached defense was stifling.  The man could coach.  The first half was brutal, ending in a 28-0 halftime lead for the Nittany Lions.  Illini QB Johnny Johnson and the offense came to life in the second half and the Illini closed to within 28-14, but that was the ending score. 

Like you, I wasn't much into the sports scene in college.  In fact, I kind of resented all the attention and money that was wasted on the sports programs.  As the Flying Illini went to the Final Four and the Jeff George led football team went to the Citrus Bowl, I sat back and piously felt that UIUC's Engineering program was the flagship of the university, and the sports programs were a crass distraction from what really mattered.  I was wrong.  Nobody across the country has heard of UIUC; literally nobody (well, maybe three people).  Why?  Because the sports programs have generally sucked since the late 80's (with the very notable exception of round ball in the mid 2000's).  So yes, the Engineering school has been consistently in the top 5 in the country, and yet the average hiring manager of Engineers throughout the country would generally feel that Engineers from the University of Florida are probably better.  Why?  Football.  It's all about football.  UIUC has finally figured that out, and the new AD fired the interim football coach on his FIRST DAY of the job.  And he hired Lovie Smith, along with $4 million worth of assistant coaches.  Only Michigan and Ohio State spend more on assistants in the B1G now.  UIUC is finally getting serious about their national reputation, and they're doing it the best way possible; by buying a real football program.  It's beautiful.  Shut down the TAM building, and the Beckman Center, and get me a weight room and some booster-funded recruits.  We're goin' big time! 
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter. 
- D.L. Moody

Diversification means always having to say you're sorry.
tennpaga
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by tennpaga » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:51 pm

The old, uncool dude has to ask:

"B1G" ?  Does that mean "Big Ten"?  When did this happen?
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:00 pm

TennPaGa wrote: The old, uncool dude has to ask:

Not uncool, just mercifully uninformed.  ;) 

After PSU joined, we became the "Big 11" but still called the Big 10.  Just a mathematically-challenged Big 10.  After expanding to 14 teams, the B1G name was birthed.  I don't really like it, but that's what we get for choosing a name with the number of teams in it.  Damn the luck. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter. 
- D.L. Moody

tennpaga
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by tennpaga » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:08 pm

Desert wrote:
TennPaGa wrote: The old, uncool dude has to ask:

Not uncool, just mercifully uninformed.  ;) 

After PSU joined, we became the "Big 11" but still called the Big 10.  Just a mathematically-challenged Big 10.  After expanding to 14 teams, the B1G name was birthed.  I don't really like it, but that's what we get for choosing a name with the number of teams in it.  Damn the luck. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference
What can I say: my undergrad school was division III, and its mascot is plaid fabric.

I remember when Penn State joined the MCB10. :)

Also, now that I see the logo...

[img width=400]http://images.tvrage.com/shows/38/37515.png[/img]

... it sort of makes sense.

Do people still say "Big Ten"?  Or "Bee Wunn Jee"?
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:21 pm

Plaid fabric has long been underrated. 

I still say Big 10, so most of the cool people probably say something else.  In my partially-fossilized brain, the Galloping Ghost is still embarrassing Michigan. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Grange
Grange vaulted to national prominence as a result of his performance in the October 18, 1924 game against Michigan in the grand opening game of the new Memorial Stadium, built as a memorial to University of Illinois students and alumni who had served in World War I.[5] The Michigan Wolverines were going for the national championship and entered as favorites.

Grange returned the opening kickoff for a 95-yard touchdown and scored three more touchdowns on runs of 67, 56, and 44 yards in the first 12 minutes–the last three in less than seven minutes.[8] On his next carry, he ran 56 yards for yet another touchdown. Before the game was over, Grange ran back another kickoff for yet another touchdown. He scored six touchdowns in all. Illinois won the game by a lopsided score of 39 to 14.

The game inspired Grantland Rice to write this poetic description:

A streak of fire, a breath of flame
    Eluding all who reach and clutch;
    A gray ghost thrown into the game
    That rival hands may never touch;
    A rubber bounding, blasting soul
    Whose destination is the goal — Red Grange of Illinois!
- D.L. Moody

tennpaga
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by tennpaga » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Well I'll be.  I never realized Red Grange was a fighting Illini!
Gabe

Post by Gabe » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:35 pm

Desert wrote:
Gabe wrote: University of New Mexico, BS Applied Mathematics, 2014. Was pretty close to a second BS in Computer Science, but settled for the minor and went to work instead.
What type of work are you doing now?
I started working as a software engineer at the local government lab a few months before I graduated. It was a great gig, but as much as I loved the team I was on, having a security clearance and sitting in an office staring at a screen from 8-5 started chafing at my soul. Plus I wanted to travel again. The prospect of working fewer hours, remotely from wherever I wanted, for a much higher hourly rate, was extremely enticing. So I quit a few months ago and started a consulting company doing more or less the same thing: developing web apps. For those who speak webdev, most of my experience is with Ruby/Rails and JavaScript/Redux/React.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:40 pm

TennPaGa wrote: Well I'll be.  I never realized Red Grange was a fighting Illini!
Pretty much every big guy in history was an Illini (not really).  Among the big names:
Red Grange
Dick Butkus
Ray Nitschke
Jim Grabowski
Dana Howard
Simeon Rice
Howard Griffith
Jeff George
Jack Trudeau
Mikel LeShoure
Rashard Mendenhall
Kevin Hardy
Whitney Mercilus (perhaps the best last name in football)
Moe Gardner
Arrelious Benn

Penn State is known as the "Linebacker U," but the Illini have competed for that title.  Now with Lovie Smith at the helm, all other football powers will fall.  I'm not a homer. 
Last edited by Desert on Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- D.L. Moody

tennpaga
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by tennpaga » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:57 pm

Desert wrote: I'm not a homer.
You want homer?

While at grad school at UMass in the 1980's, my friend (and UIUC alum) thought Tony Eason was going to lead the New England Patriots to the promised land.  At the very least, he thought the Eason-led Patriots were going to beat the Bears in the 1986 Super Bowl.  :)
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:09 pm

TennPaGa wrote:
Desert wrote: I'm not a homer.
You want homer?

While at grad school at UMass in the 1980's, my friend (and UIUC alum) thought Tony Eason was going to lead the New England Patriots to the promised land.  At the very least, he thought the Eason-led Patriots were going to beat the Bears in the 1986 Super Bowl.  :)
Ouch! 

'Da Bearsssss. 

It's funny, I have gone through two long-duration cycles on football:  In college, I (correctly) estimated that it was a stupid game that distracted us all from the real purpose of the University.  And then in my years following college, I realized how closely football success correlated with a University's reputation.  Much to my horror, this period coincided with the Illini's plunge into failure.  Finally, in recent years, I've realized that my young idealistic self was right all along; college football is an exploitative, athlete-injuring spectacle that just detracts from the purpose of the Universities to educate great engineers. 

And then ... Illinois hired Lovie Smith.  And that changed everything.  I don't care about the ranking of UIUC's Engineering school.  In fact, I think they should shut it down entirely and shovel all that green into the football program, so we can finally go out and get some justice on the gridiron.  Our foes will fall before our feet.  The true glory of UIUC will be demonstrated.  Their women will wail and their men shalt gnash their teeth.  I will happily sacrifice all my principles on the alter of football success. 
- D.L. Moody

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:52 am

Gladiator worshipers all!
You keep the faith but in a ball.
Pi are square,
The ladies fair,
But all in all, it's the ball. 

;)

... M
"Blind reason gropes around in matters belonging to God (1 Corinthians 2:14). According to its own imagination, reason seeks consolation in its own works and cannot remember Christ and faith." Smalcald Articles III III 18