Where did you go to School?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Where did you go to School?

Post by Tyler » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:14 pm

technovelist wrote: No, there's another way: allow student loans, but also allow them to be discharged in bankruptcy, perhaps after a minimum time period (to prevent gaming the system by newly-graduated doctors, etc.). That would force the lenders to underwrite the loans properly, which would stop the escalation of costs.
If we make student loans dischargeable in bankruptcy again I also love the idea of putting the schools on the hook for half the money.  Providing a monetary incentive for colleges to graduate employable students with manageable debt would be a wonderful development. 
Mechanical engineer, history buff, treasure manager... totally not Ben Gates
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Tyler wrote:
technovelist wrote: No, there's another way: allow student loans, but also allow them to be discharged in bankruptcy, perhaps after a minimum time period (to prevent gaming the system by newly-graduated doctors, etc.). That would force the lenders to underwrite the loans properly, which would stop the escalation of costs.
If we make student loans dischargeable in bankruptcy again I also love the idea of putting the schools on the hook for half the money.  Providing a monetary incentive for colleges to graduate employable students with manageable debt would be a wonderful development.
Would this have to be linked to GPA at all? I would think someone would ideally be more employable if they had a 3.8 GPA versus a 2.1 GPA when graduating. If schools are on the hook or only get funding based on a percentage of the student's salary, I'd want to know whether I think this student can really earn money or not, not just based on their degree, but how strong they are as a student.
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:30 pm

Slippery slope here it would seem to incentivize giving better grades than warranted or massive curving.
Test of the signature line
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:34 pm

Outside of academia and government, I don't think people care much about your GPA.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:53 pm

I graduated with a 2.9/4.  I cannot ever recall where it mattered, other than senior year on-campus interviews where there was a cutoff below which companies would not talk with you.

The name, University of Illinois, coupled with an engineering degree, was all that ever mattered, and helped in a couple situations.
Test of the signature line
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:03 pm

sophie wrote: Johns Hopkins BS in EE.
University of Pennsylvania MD/PhD
Sophie, that's an interesting path.  Did you go directly from the EE degree to med school? 
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter. 
- D.L. Moody

Diversification means always having to say you're sorry.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Pointedstick wrote: Sarah Lawrence College, BA in 2009 with no specific major (there are no majors at that whackadoodle hippie college, though I tell people Computer Science since that's what I studied the most and nobody understands the concept of going to college and not majoring in anything). So yes, that would be a BA in Computer Science. :P
Hey, just curious:  Did you ever consider UIUC, your hometown U?  I'm guessing you wanted to get out of town and go to a cooler place, but just wondering. 
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter. 
- D.L. Moody

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:35 pm

Desert wrote: Hey, just curious:  Did you ever consider UIUC, your hometown U?  I'm guessing you wanted to get out of town and go to a cooler place, but just wondering.
At the time I was still a flaming liberal and I wanted to go to the most incendiary left-wing institution I could find. My parents were also not-so-subtly guiding me in that direction. Finally, in high school, I abandoned math and science as soon as they became challenging so my grades in those subjects were poor; it's possible I might not have even been admitted to UIUC. So no, I did not consider it, although in retrospect I totally should have. It's easy to look back at that phase of my life and shake my head at how many silly decisions I made, but it's all turned out well regardless so I try not to beat myself up over it.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:35 pm

Desert wrote:
Sophie, that's an interesting path.  Did you go directly from the EE degree to med school?
I worked a couple years in between while deciding whether to take the plunge.  You might be surprised to learn there are quite a few engineers who go into medicine, and in fact EE is the major that has the highest medical school acceptance rate.  There's no such thing as a "premedical degree".  There's a core set of required courses that can fit into any college degree program.  Anyway it's worked out well, because there's a lot of engineering work in what I do now.

Of course at a place like Penn, "interesting backgrounds" has a whole new meaning. There was the Broadway actor who had a role in the musical "Hair", then went for his MD/PhD then medicine residency.  He used to sing his presentations on hospital rounds.  Awesome.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:44 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Desert wrote: Hey, just curious:  Did you ever consider UIUC, your hometown U?  I'm guessing you wanted to get out of town and go to a cooler place, but just wondering.
At the time I was still a flaming liberal and I wanted to go to the most incendiary left-wing institution I could find. My parents were also not-so-subtly guiding me in that direction. Finally, in high school, I abandoned math and science as soon as they became challenging so my grades in those subjects were poor; it's possible I might not have even been admitted to UIUC. So no, I did not consider it, although in retrospect I totally should have. It's easy to look back at that phase of my life and shake my head at how many silly decisions I made, but it's all turned out well regardless so I try not to beat myself up over it.
That all makes sense.  I was similar in HS, regarding math and science, through probably for very different reasons.  I wouldn't have been admitted to UIUC after HS with all the terrible choices I made, so I had to go to a community college first.  I think I learned more there than a lot of the kids at UIUC did in their first two years though.  Big state U's seem to be pretty mindless factories in the first couple years (at least back in my day). 

For humor value: I was selected "Oustanding Male Student of the Year" at my community college (I got good grades and tutored math, so I guess that was outstanding enough).  My friends abused me to no end, wondering if I was "outstandingly male" or merely an outstanding student.  :)
- D.L. Moody

Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:50 pm

sophie wrote:
Desert wrote:
I worked a couple years in between while deciding whether to take the plunge.  You might be surprised to learn there are quite a few engineers who go into medicine, and in fact EE is the major that has the highest medical school acceptance rate.  There's no such thing as a "premedical degree".  There's a core set of required courses that can fit into any college degree program.  Anyway it's worked out well, because there's a lot of engineering work in what I do now.

Of course at a place like Penn, "interesting backgrounds" has a whole new meaning. There was the Broadway actor who had a role in the musical "Hair", then went for his MD/PhD then medicine residency.  He used to sing his presentations on hospital rounds.  Awesome.
I really didn't realize that.  I figured one would have to have many semesters of biology, organic chemistry and the like to be admitted to med school.  That's great that EE majors claim the highest med school acceptance rate.  EE is a challenging major.  I'm guessing a couple years in industry in EE was enough to motivate you to do more?  I think some percentage of engineers go into industry and are very motivated by their jobs, but I've run into SO many engineers over the past 25 years that are not all that satisfied with their career path.  Anyway, it's great to hear of your path.  My little second grade son assures me he'll go into "something medical" because people in those fields "make lots of money."  Maybe I'll encourage him to start with EE.  :) 

Oh, and I love the Broadway actor resident story!  If I ever have to be hospitalized, that's the doc I want! 
- D.L. Moody

tennpaga
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by tennpaga » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:12 pm

Desert wrote: For humor value: I was selected "Oustanding Male Student of the Year" at my community college
It was the tattoos, wasn't it?
* Gresham's Law: Bad behavior drives out good.
* Gresham's corollary: Avoid participating in systems where good behavior cannot win.

https://fs.blog/2009/12/mental-model-greshams-law/