Where did you go to School?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Where did you go to School?

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:58 am

ochotona wrote: I went to school with actresses Jennifer Beals and Daryl Hannah. I remember Beals being a middle schooler with braces, she was a cute kid!
Hah! Was Daryl Hannah good looking back then, or did she grow into it more slowly like Barbara Eden?
The new Freakonomics: Why Are Cities (Still) So Expensive? (Ep. 435)
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:16 am

West Virginia University - BS Chemical Engineering - 1968

Total expenses for 5 years (tuition, fees, off-campus apartment, food, books, gas and maintenance for a VW beetle, entertainment):  ~$5000 paid for by two scholarships and my summer jobs.  Cost to my parents - zero.  Wow, have times changed.

... M
I marvel at the creation - its beauty, its endurance, its complexity. I marvel that man can make complex things but is incapable of making even the simplest living organism - a blade of grass, a tree, an ant, an amoeba.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:37 am

Bedraggled,

Not sure what your question is.  The rule in my family was that my parents picked up the costs for the first college degree, and we were on our own after that.  With that as motivation, your kids may find that they don't need parental help for graduate work after all - not only are there grants held by the mentors but also independent fellowships that can be applied for.

In fact, I encourage my students to apply for independent funding for several reasons.  First, it's good grant-writing experience.  Second, if they get the grants I can use the funds thus freed up to hire more students.  Third, it tells me exactly how serious they are.  It's a lot of time & effort to get a student up to speed on the workings in my lab, and after I had a couple of people vanish away without producing anything I'm on high alert for students who might do the same.

All those costs may be worthwhile, but it depends on what your kids want to accomplish with it.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:31 pm

California State University, Chico.  B.A. in Biological Sciences 1978 (G.I. Bill, tuition about $98 per semester for all the units you could stand, if I recall correctly).
California State University, Chico.  M.A. in Botany 1980
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.  Ph.D. in Botany 1983
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:33 pm

WildAboutHarry wrote: (G.I. Bill, tuition about $98 per semester for all the units you could stand, if I recall correctly).
Nice!
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:46 pm

WildAboutHarry wrote: California State University, Chico.  B.A. in Biological Sciences 1978 (G.I. Bill, tuition about $98 per semester for all the units you could stand, if I recall correctly).
So is Bernie Sanders onto a good thing then?

Government paying tuition might actually stop the vicious cycle of tuition increases, egged on by the easy availability of student loans.  And it would be far less painful than the only other way to stop the cycle:  stop providing student loans.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:46 pm

sophie wrote:
WildAboutHarry wrote: California State University, Chico.  B.A. in Biological Sciences 1978 (G.I. Bill, tuition about $98 per semester for all the units you could stand, if I recall correctly).
So is Bernie Sanders onto a good thing then?

Government paying tuition might actually stop the vicious cycle of tuition increases, egged on by the easy availability of student loans.  And it would be far less painful than the only other way to stop the cycle:  stop providing student loans.
No, there's another way: allow student loans, but also allow them to be discharged in bankruptcy, perhaps after a minimum time period (to prevent gaming the system by newly-graduated doctors, etc.). That would force the lenders to underwrite the loans properly, which would stop the escalation of costs.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:02 pm

Well, come on, you've got to bold the G.I. Bill part, too.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:35 am

technovelist wrote: No, there's another way: allow student loans, but also allow them to be discharged in bankruptcy, perhaps after a minimum time period (to prevent gaming the system by newly-graduated doctors, etc.). That would force the lenders to underwrite the loans properly, which would stop the escalation of costs.
But almost by definition, every graduating student with a fistful of loans has a highly negative net worth and no assets to speak of.  You'd have to either require parents to cosign or make going through bankruptcy harder.  When your credit score is already in the toilet, you have nothing to lose.  That's way too easy.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:23 am

sophie wrote:
technovelist wrote: No, there's another way: allow student loans, but also allow them to be discharged in bankruptcy, perhaps after a minimum time period (to prevent gaming the system by newly-graduated doctors, etc.). That would force the lenders to underwrite the loans properly, which would stop the escalation of costs.
But almost by definition, every graduating student with a fistful of loans has a highly negative net worth and no assets to speak of.  You'd have to either require parents to cosign or make going through bankruptcy harder.  When your credit score is already in the toilet, you have nothing to lose.  That's way too easy.
Right, which is why I said that they would have to wait a minimum time before getting the loans discharged in bankruptcy, maybe 7 years? That would reduce gaming the system while not keeping them in indentured servitude indefinitely.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:31 am

An alternative approach that might work well is to have the "loan" become instead a percentage cut of the graduate's future income for some period of time. That way schools would have an incentive not only to underwrite properly, but also to actually produce graduates who earn a decent income.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:00 am

[quote=dualstow]Well, come on, you've got to bold the G.I. Bill part, too.[/quote]

Right you are.  I spent 4 years in the Navy as an enlisted man making a ridiculously low salary (we did get a good salary bump in 1971) in exchange for a B.A. (and a semester of grad school).  Fair exchange, I think.  And I don't have a problem with GI Bill type of arrangements, where service is exchanged for some future benefit (college, trade school, etc.).  But one should have to give to get.  So I don't think I align with Bernie.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison