Lifetime Sex Crime Registry for Crimes Committed Before Age 12

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Lifetime Sex Crime Registry for Crimes Committed Before Age 12

Post by MediumTex »

If you want to get really pissed off at the way our government treats its most vulnerable citizens, check out this long New Yorker article about requiring children to register as sex offenders for life in some cases for "sex crimes" like pulling down a fellow students pants in elementary school.

Remember that when we talk about registering as a sex offender, it means you basically can't get a job, can't get an apartment, can't go to malls, parks or anywhere else children might be, and of course you can't have your own family...ever.  You will also frequently have to pay hundreds of dollars a month to the state for electronic monitoring and other forms of supervision.

LINK

A few tidbits:
In Fayetteville, North Carolina, a sixteen-year-old girl faced multiple felony charges for “sexting” a picture of herself to her boyfriend. According to the county sheriff’s warrant, she was both the adult perpetrator of the crime at hand—“sexual exploitation of a minor”—and its child victim. Her boyfriend faced similar charges.
Josh Gravens, of Abilene, Texas, was sent away more than a decade ago at the age of thirteen. Gravens was twelve when his mother learned that he had inappropriately touched his eight-year-old sister on two occasions; she sought help from a Christian counselling center, and a staffer there was legally obliged to inform the police. Gravens was arrested, placed on the public registry, and sent to juvenile detention for nearly four years. Now, at twenty-nine, he’s become a leading figure in the movement to strike juveniles from the registry and to challenge broader restrictions that he believes are ineffectual. He has counselled more than a hundred youths who are on public registries, some as young as nine. He says that their experiences routinely mirror his own: “Homelessness; getting fired from jobs; taking jobs below minimum wage, with predatory employers; not being able to provide for your kids; losing your kids; relationship problems; deep inner problems connecting with people; deep depression and hopelessness; this fear of your own name; the terror of being Googled.”
Often, juvenile defendants aren’t seen as juveniles before the law. At the age of thirteen, Moroni Nuttall was charged as an adult, in Montana, for sexual misconduct with relatives; after pleading guilty, he was sentenced to forty years in prison, thirty-six of which were suspended, and placed on a lifetime sex-offender registry. In detention, the teen-ager was sexually assaulted and physically abused. Upon his release, his mother, Heidi, went online in search of guidance. “I’m trying to be hopeful,” she wrote on an online bulletin board, but “I wonder if he even stands a chance.”
What is available, too often, is a form of commercial treatment that can be abusive in its own right. In my interviews with registrants and their families, one question came up repeatedly: “Have you looked into the therapy industry?” Many treatment programs have dedicated, well-trained staff members who engage with families and seem to help children thrive. But some providers lack the resources that would allow them to separate offenders of various risk levels. And, in some parts of the country, I found a cottage industry of court-authorized but poorly regulated therapy providers subjecting kids and teens to widely debunked interventions or controversial invasive technologies. Juveniles undergoing treatment for sex offenses have been exposed to severe verbal abuse, beatings, and even sexual predation at residential facilities. Not a few people have been placed in dubious but costly treatment programs for actions that many believe should never have been criminalized in the first place. These experiences are hardly exclusive to juveniles; they extend to many youths over eighteen, whose journeys through the justice system can be equally alarming. The most surprising instances are known as the “Romeo and Juliet” cases, involving consensual sex between teens.
His lawyer told him that he would face life in prison if the case went to trial. He decided to take a plea deal: a suspended sentence and ten years of probation.

Metts, who was twenty-one by then, read the terms of his post-plea life. For the next decade, he’d be barred from alcohol and the Internet; from entering the vicinity of schools, parks, bus stops, malls, and movie theatres; and from living within a thousand feet of a “child-safety zone.” A mugshot of his curly-haired, round-cheeked face would appear for life on the Texas sex-offender registry, beside the phrase “Sexual Assault of a Child.” And he would have to start sex-offender treatment.

The treatment plan was extensive. He was told to write up a detailed sexual history, and then to discuss it with a room full of adults, some of whom had repeatedly committed child assaults. On his first day of class, he recalls, he entered a group circle beside a dentist who had violated several patients while they were under anesthesia. To graduate, he would have to narrate his “assaults” in detail: “How many buttons on her shirt did you unbutton?”

The plan also included a monthly polygraph (a hundred and fifty dollars) and a computerized test that measured how long his eyes lingered on deviant imagery (three hundred and twenty-five dollars). He would also have to submit to a “penile plethysmograph,” or PPG. According to documents produced by the state of Texas, the PPG—known jokingly to some patients as a “peter meter”—is “a sophisticated computerized instrument capable of measuring slight changes in the circumference of the penis.” A gauge is wrapped around the shaft of the penis, with wires hooked up to a laptop, while a client is presented with “sexually inappropriate” imagery and, often, “deviant” sexual audio. Metts would be billed around two hundred dollars per test.
I'm certainly not opposed to protecting children from sexual predators, but many of the cases cited in the article sounded like the alleged "perps" were likely abuse victims themselves, and after the state got through with them they were certainly abuse victims.  Imagine what it would be like to be treated as a complete outcast by society for life because of a bad decision you made when you were 10 or 11 years old when you were left unsupervised by a parent or caregiver.

I find it most heartbreaking that the sex offender tag means you can never have your own family.  It just seems cruel to tell a person that they are not allowed to see their own children because of an offense they committed when they were in elementary school decades before, or because a 19 year old had a 17 year old girlfriend whom he later married.  The husband in that marriage would still potentially never be allowed to be in the same room with his own children without strict state supervision, and he could never take his kids to school or attend any school event of any kind.  No sex offenders allowed at those things.

Imagine how many of our own distant ancestors who married before both parties were 18 would have been subject to the penalties and punishments above.

And it's always worth considering the idea that maybe a lot of this stuff is really just a for-profit effort masquerading as a desire to protect children:
“There’s an awful lot of money involved in prosecuting, locking up, treating, and registering these folks,” Phil Taylor, a former therapist for men convicted of sex offenses in Texas, told me. Under contract with the state, he spent some ten years treating hundreds of adults convicted of violent sex crimes, along with young adults who had had consensual relationships with other teens. A decade ago, in 2006, Taylor’s faith in the treatment protocols was shaken by new research. He renounced the field and began working for legislative reform of the registry. “It’s hard for people to change their minds when their livelihood depends upon this money stream,” he told me.
...or just plain old cruelty:
Throughout her first semester in college, she was dogged by fears of being outed. During winter break, her boyfriend invited her home to Brighton, Michigan. DuBuc agreed, but sheepishly explained that their first stop in town would have to be the police station. Her understanding was that she had to check in with local cops within forty-eight hours of arriving in a new town or face a felony charge.

Her boyfriend parked in the lot of the Brighton Police Post. “I’m here to fill out the paperwork,” DuBuc told the trooper at the front desk. “I’m a registered sex offender.”

“We don’t serve your kind here,” he replied. “You better leave before I take you out back and shoot you myself.”
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Lifetime Sex Crime Registry for Crimes Committed Before Age 12

Post by Pointedstick »

Another example of our society being fragile and poorly thought out, as usual courtesy of both major political parties colluding to indulge in their own worst tendencies: leftist witch-hunt shaming and right-wing puritanical sex phobia.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Pointedstick wrote: Another example of our society being fragile and poorly thought out, as usual courtesy of both major political parties colluding to indulge in their own worst tendencies: leftist witch-hunt shaming and right-wing puritanical sex phobia.
This is another example of government.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Who to blame, liberals or conservatives?  My money is on the latter.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs »

I'm not sure it's true that sex offenders can't have or see their own children.

There is a woman who had sex with an underage student of hers, was charged and convicted, did some time in jail, and got out - they've been married for a while, and have several children, if I remember the story right.

It may vary from state to state, and situation to situation as well.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

There's a far bigger problem here than the indiscriminate use of a sex offender registry. The use of computerized record-keeping systems in virtually every facet of life guarantees that nothing is ever forgotten.  Imagine being a young person these days and having every minor slip-up, and every difficult transition, go down in your permanent record.  The implications are quite chilling.
"We are on the verge of a global transformation; all we need is the. . . right major crisis. . . and the nation will accept the. . . new world order." David Rockefeller (1994)
rhymenocerous
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rhymenocerous »

I read the article a while ago, so can't remember all the details, but my initial impression from the examples given was that this seems to disproportionately affect low income minorities, likely because they cannot afford adequate representation.

You have to wonder what these prosecutors are thinking when they bring these types of charges against 10 and 11 year olds, who then have to receive treatment for something they likely don't even understand.

Also, any laws that are passed in reaction to a highly publicized crime tend to be extremely short-sighted and unfold in unpredictable ways.  For example, it sounds good prevent sex offenders from living within a certain distance of schools, parks, etc., but the result is that many wind up homeless because there are literally no viable options.  I recall an article from Florida several years ago that stated most sex offenders in one county were living under a highway bridge.  This makes it extremely difficult and expensive for local law enforcement to track/monitor them, which was the whole point of the law in the first place.

Also, once bad laws are put into place, good luck getting a politician to repeal/amend them in any way.  Their career would be effectively over if they were ever seen as sympathetic towards this particular population.

The frustrating thing is how all these laws go against what the data suggests actually works to reduce recidivism.  This includes being able to live with family, being part of a community, having stable employment, etc.
Last edited by rhymenocerous on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

rhymenocerous wrote: You have to wonder what these prosecutors are thinking when they bring these types of charges against 10 and 11 year olds, who then have to receive treatment for something they likely don't even understand.
All they care about is their own legal career, hence the 98% conviction rate.  Just-Us.  They won't take cases unless they can win or get a plea.  It's all game to these shysters and ordinary people are the patsies.

I'm convinced the majority of Americans (voters?) are just fucking stupid.  You know how long Law and Order and its various spinoffs have been airing or the unrealistic CSI iterations on the "crime channel" for scaredy cat, old people known as CBS?  That is what Americans believe justice is: the good guys always win in a happy ending (oh sure, mix it up from time to time to keep you on your toes).  Yet every now and then we get a Hollywood movie about some Just-Us persecution as if it was a rare thing instead of common.

Anyway, as usual there's probably a case to be made that there's a lack of judicial engagement when it comes to being forced to register as a "sex offender".  For example, "statutory rape" by consenting underage teens gets you on the list for life.  But hey, its an easy win for the prosecution.  They're the transnational elite!
Last edited by MachineGhost on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!