Tech Help Needed

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Tech Help Needed

Post by Tyler » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:51 am

Pointedstick wrote: Windows 10 is complete dogshit. It's an utter mess that cannot be redeemed.
Spoken like an Apple employee.  ;)

I love Apple hardware, but as a gamer and utilizer of PC-centric software, IMHO the OS leaves a lot to be desired. 

I like Win10. I upgraded from Windows 7 and found it to be a notable improvement. 
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:37 pm

i never had any big complaints about win 7 or vista (my version was after they fixed it) but since all i do is basically the simple stuff + some nerdy messing with things, and nothing business or personal related that was, windows only locked in, the switch to linux made sense when windows became spy-ware,

for fixing things/tech trouble windows is still pretty simple... its hard to explain how it is done step by step unless you have had the exact same problem, but somebody here is likely to come along with a step by step for you....  after years of windows use i have internalized a heuristic of some sort that helps me trouble shoot most problems with ease, since nobodies brain is quite like anybody else's and the method to my madness is mostly instinctive, i cant pass that along, but abandoning windows is more of a statement about where windows is going and has gone and not necessarily the go to solution to a minor windows glitch...   
Last edited by l82start on Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:13 pm

I'll admit a bias. And it's true that Windows is the superior OS for playing games and using specialized software not available on other platforms. But for the general user, I don't see the advantage. We're all techy types here--even those of us who don't work in tech. I come from a culture where basically everyone is completely technically illiterate. Since I was like 10 years old, I was helping adults with computer problems because nobody in my social circle knew anyone who was good with computers except for me. I worked in help desks and IT all throughout college, and ran a freelance computer repair business for 6 years. As a result, I feel like I have a lot of experience understanding how most people actually use computers of all sorts.

My long-term observation is that giving a normal, non-techy person Windows is likely to lead to disaster. The computer will progressively become slow and clunky over time due to a lack of required software maintenance. They'll install malware, spyware, ad pop-ups, and their web browser will become full of search toolbars. The physical hardware will start to degrade because they probably bought a bargain-basement Dell or HP that wasn't made very well and isn't especially durable. Eventually nothing will work and they'll throw the computer out, get a new cheap one (buying expensive computers all the time gets expensive), have the same experience, and conclude that computers suck.

I realize that at this point I'm not describing this forum audience. But it's important to keep in mind that we are all substantially above average here. What seems obvious and easy for most of us gives a lot of people real trouble.

It's true that if you have some technical inclination, you can keep a Windows computer clean and avoid all this (I regularly perform this service for the Windows PCs of my extended social network). Of course, with such technical inclination, you can probably do Linux, and a Mac will be easy peasy. So that leaves a natural audience for Windows consisting of people who are technically inclined and want to play games or use specialized software. For gaming, let's face it: consoles are the future for big fat 3D next-gen gaming. Windows PC gaming is dying a slow death as consoles and mobile devices take over. Games not requiring super duper 3D performance are becoming more cross-platform all the time, and many of them are mobile-only at this point. Steam is doing a huge Linux push and more games available on Steam than ever before are fully multi-platform.

So that leaves technically-minded hardcore PC gamer holdouts and people who need specialized software. And yes, for those people, Windows is probably still the best bet. But if that doesn't describe you, you should consider why you're still using it.
Last edited by Pointedstick on Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:06 pm

Pointedstick wrote: My long-term observation is that giving a normal, non-techy person Windows is likely to lead to disaster. The computer will progressively become slow and clunky over time due to a lack of required software maintenance. They'll install malware, spyware, ad pop-ups, and their web browser will become full of search toolbars.
I can attest to this.  My mother has been using a Windows computer for ages, and she upgraded to Windows 10 a few months ago.  Nothing about it is intuitive or logical.  She's constantly calling me because something got messed up, likely because she followed an instruction to click on something or hit ok or whatever.  She's got the parade of malware and search toolbars, she has trouble with file browser's enforced structure which frankly also confuses me and encourages saving files into weird places, and she keeps creating new duplicate printer devices that are set as default and don't work (have no idea why, yet).  In my opinion, a non tech savvy person has no business owning a Windows machine.  I'm praying for the day that my mother's computer dies so that I can get her a Mac.  Sabotage may be called for.

Incidentally - a very good reason to get a Mac mini in preference to a full iMac is that if something goes wrong with the iMac, it's hell on wheels to lug that beast to the Apple Store.  Unless you don't mind such things, the mini is far more practical AND cheaper.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:58 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: My long-term observation is that giving a normal, non-techy person Windows is likely to lead to disaster. The computer will progressively become slow and clunky over time due to a lack of required software maintenance. They'll install malware, spyware, ad pop-ups, and their web browser will become full of search toolbars.
I can attest to this.  My mother has been using a Windows computer for ages, and she upgraded to Windows 10 a few months ago.  Nothing about it is intuitive or logical.  She's constantly calling me because something got messed up, likely because she followed an instruction to click on something or hit ok or whatever.  She's got the parade of malware and search toolbars, she has trouble with file browser's enforced structure which frankly also confuses me and encourages saving files into weird places, and she keeps creating new duplicate printer devices that are set as default and don't work (have no idea why, yet).  In my opinion, a non tech savvy person has no business owning a Windows machine.  I'm praying for the day that my mother's computer dies so that I can get her a Mac.  Sabotage may be called for.

Incidentally - a very good reason to get a Mac mini in preference to a full iMac is that if something goes wrong with the iMac, it's hell on wheels to lug that beast to the Apple Store.  Unless you don't mind such things, the mini is far more practical AND cheaper.
My mother has a Windows machine. This is her second or third one, and she always got her older ones crapped up with all kinds of malware.

But in reality, she wasn't the one who was doing it; it was my niece who would come over and use her machine to download tons of garbage.

So I made a new administrator account, took away my mother's admin privileges, and didn't give her the admin password. That fixed the problem until one day she said she needed the admin password for some reason. I gave it to her, but with a stern warning that if she used it and got her machine messed up again, I probably wouldn't be able to fix it from 1300 miles away. As far as I know, she never used it, and her machine is still running fine.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:01 pm

Libertarian666 wrote: So I made a new administrator account, took away my mother's admin privileges, and didn't give her the admin password. That fixed the problem until one day she said she needed the admin password for some reason. I gave it to her, but with a stern warning that if she used it and got her machine messed up again, I probably wouldn't be able to fix it from 1300 miles away. As far as I know, she never used it, and her machine is still running fine.
This mirrors the way Windows was originally intended to be run: in a managed environment with machines locked down by dedicated IT support staff and limited user privileges to alter the system. The only difference is that you're replicating it in a residential setting instead of an institutional one.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:07 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote: So I made a new administrator account, took away my mother's admin privileges, and didn't give her the admin password. That fixed the problem until one day she said she needed the admin password for some reason. I gave it to her, but with a stern warning that if she used it and got her machine messed up again, I probably wouldn't be able to fix it from 1300 miles away. As far as I know, she never used it, and her machine is still running fine.
This mirrors the way Windows was originally intended to be run: in a managed environment with machines locked down by dedicated IT support staff and limited user privileges to alter the system. The only difference is that you're replicating it in a residential setting instead of an institutional one.
This is also the way Unix was intended to be run.

And of course Linux is an offshoot of Unix.

The main reason that Linuxes (or Apple OS) is less susceptible to malware is that they represent such a tiny proportion of all PCs. If that should change, so will their susceptibility.

Yes, there are some technical differences that matter in theory, but since most people have no idea how to configure their systems for malware resistance, that's the main practical reason.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:22 pm

Libertarian666 wrote: This is also the way Unix was intended to be run.

That's true.

Libertarian666 wrote: The main reason that Linuxes (or Apple OS) is less susceptible to malware is that they represent such a tiny proportion of all PCs. If that should change, so will their susceptibility.

Yes, there are some technical differences that matter in theory, but since most people have no idea how to configure their systems for malware resistance, that's the main practical reason.
iOS has an absolutely vast installed base and there is practically no malware. Of course, it's locked down far more than any of the desktop OSs or linux-based Android OSs. But the heavy-handed approach clearly works.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:29 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote: This is also the way Unix was intended to be run.

That's true.

Libertarian666 wrote: The main reason that Linuxes (or Apple OS) is less susceptible to malware is that they represent such a tiny proportion of all PCs. If that should change, so will their susceptibility.

iOS has an absolutely vast installed base and there is practically no malware. Of course, it's locked down far more than any of the desktop OSs or linux-based Android OSs. But the heavy-handed approach clearly works.
Of course a locked-down OS is much safer than one that lusers can modify easily, as there is a tradeoff between modifiability and safety. In fact, a fixed-program terminal is the safest of all, but how many of those are in use?

Note that I'm not necessarily a big fan of Windows either. Having been a "Platforms EE" (top-level tech support person for Microsoft operating systems) and having most of the source code for Windows on my computer, I saw first-hand just how crappy much of the code is. But of course there is also a tradeoff between clean code and backwards compatibility, which Microsoft generally resolves in favor of backward compatibility and Apple generally (from what I know) resolves in favor of clean code, in both cases due to their predominant user base.

I personally have quite a bit of software that won't run on a Mac or Linux machine, although I have a couple of Linux machines that act as my file servers. However, I'm not a typical user, or typical much of anything else either, for that matter...
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:45 pm

Pointedstick wrote: iOS has an absolutely vast installed base and there is practically no malware. Of course, it's locked down far more than any of the desktop OSs or linux-based Android OSs. But the heavy-handed approach clearly works.
I can always count on PS to argue the merits of sacrificing freedom in exchange for greater security.  Wait... what?  ;)

I think Apple makes great products.  Their computers aren't the best for my needs, but they are terrific choices for many people and I truly appreciate their user-centric approach to design and commitment to quality. 
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:56 pm

Tyler wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: iOS has an absolutely vast installed base and there is practically no malware. Of course, it's locked down far more than any of the desktop OSs or linux-based Android OSs. But the heavy-handed approach clearly works.
I can always count on PS to argue the merits of sacrificing freedom in exchange for greater security.  Wait... what?  ;)
Some people can't handle freedom. Scratch that, a lot of people can't handle freedom. Most of them know it too, and consciously seek out structure and limits. Joining the military or becoming a sailor are some real-world examples, and gravitating toward an iPad instead of a laptop is the computing version. Both my father and father-in-law adore their iPads and can't handle a "real" computer. Limitations are freeing for those who can't appreciate freedom.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mr Vacuum
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mr Vacuum » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:53 am

Pointedstick wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Some people can't handle freedom. Scratch that, a lot of people can't handle freedom. Most of them know it too, and consciously seek out structure and limits. Joining the military or becoming a sailor are some real-world examples, and gravitating toward an iPad instead of a laptop is the computing version. Both my father and father-in-law adore their iPads and can't handle a "real" computer. Limitations are freeing for those who can't appreciate freedom.
At risk of going too far afield, your post reminded me of this quote from Solzhenitsyn about problems that can happen when we don't seek structure and limits.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeche ... arvard.htm
Every citizen has been granted the desired freedom and material goods in such quantity and of such quality as to guarantee in theory the achievement of happiness -- in the morally inferior sense of the word which has come into being during those same decades. In the process, however, one psychological detail has been overlooked: the constant desire to have still more things and a still better life and the struggle to attain them imprint many Western faces with worry and even depression, though it is customary to conceal such feelings. Active and tense competition fills all human thoughts without opening a way to free spiritual development.
To Tyler's point, he goes on to consider freedom in terms of when one would give it up for something.

Good point, PS. The locked down mobile operating systems are doing fine security-wise so far. Even servers are getting hammered lately with, for example, SSL vulnerabilities, but it's all quiet on the mobile front. Give us lockdown and free ad-supported apps and we're happy.

To the OP, did gizmo's ownership fix suggestion help?
Austen Heller
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Austen Heller » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:10 pm

Ad Orientem wrote: Hi all. My 7 year old computer is dying and I finally broke down and got a new one yesterday. Unfortunately it has Windows 10 which I really don't like. It's confusing as hell. Anyways I managed to migrate most of my files to the new computer BUT... I am having a lot of trouble viewing the. I am constantly getting messages that say I don't have permission to view the file in question.

This is nuts. I should be able to view any file on my computer. I would have assumed the Microsoft would be intelligent enough to give administrator rights automatically to the owner of the computer.  Any help would be appreciated.
Did the OP get his problem resolved?
I am not too tech savvy, but I am interested in whether the new PCs are any good, since I may also be in the market for a new one soon.  My 6-year old laptop's battery is dead, but it still works fine as long as it's plugged in.  When then day comes to replace,  I have been thinking about getting a Chromebook, since they seem cheap (<$300) and easy to maintain, since there's no way to install any programs/malware.  I see lots of good comments about Macs, but I'm not willing to pay the Apple Tax.  Anyone have any practical experience with the Chromebooks?
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:33 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It took forever but I have figured out how to unlock the files. It is a pain in the @$$ and has to be done for each of the hundreds of effected files, but it can be done.

Everything should be fixed by Labor Day.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:12 pm

nerds.

:)
Stay free, my friends.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:53 pm

What an interesting thread! I missed it while travelling.

- I bought an hp stream laptop for $200 with the idea of putting linux on it. It's been a problem, but this is more due to hp than anything else. So I have a Windows 10 machine to play with until I get back to that project.

- Article on Win10 spyware - http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... 3d6cae7aa9

- How to turn off "the most egregious" spying in Win10 - http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... .html&nbsp; Very useful.

- I agree with WiseOne on the handiness of Mac minis. I'm on my second one, but the one I bought in 2009 still works fine. And yes, they are very portable!

- Desert linked to a mini at BHPhoto. Great store! I got a new TV from them (online) just a few weeks ago. (I did see a negative article about how they treat their employees  :-\ )

- I think Linux makes a fine second-computer OS for most of us who aren't superusers. I can no longer recommend ZaReason (dedicated Linux machines), and certainly not hp. Dell is pretty Linux-friendly if you're looking to buy a Windows PC that you can put Linux on.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:59 pm

@Austen
I love my chromebook and never use my Windows desktop except to print on my older USB printer.

Two things not so obvious.

You need a Google print capable printer to print.

4 GB over 2 GB will be much better.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:09 am

Desert wrote: I'm so tired of my crappy windows computers at home.  At work it's ok, because we have a staff of IT people working furiously around the clock to keep the crappy things working.  But I'm getting very close to dropping some cash on a couple Apple machines for home use. 

Dualstow, thanks for the thumbs up on Bhphoto.  I might end up purchasing from that site.
Another possibility for anyone connected to education:  Apple offers an education discount if you meet certain criteria.  When I bought my 2009 MacBook Pro I was enrolled in a college class.  The Apple price ended up being about the same as BHPhoto, plus I could purchase Apple Care if I wanted.  I don't know what the current rules are but it might be worth checking out if there are any perks to buying from Apple vs. a third party.

http://www.apple.com/education/pricelists/

... M
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:49 am

Good thought about having my mother use a non-admin account for everyday tasks.  The problem with W10, though, is that it constantly wants admin privileges for said everyday tasks.  It's part of what I dislike about Windows, especially since W7.

Mac is definitely a step up, but I would be happier yet for my mother to buy a keyboard for her iPad, pay the money for iCloud sync, and use that for all her computing needs.  Unfortunately, she uses Quickbooks to manage a small business (rental property).  I've tried to talk her into Quickbooks online, but she doesn't like how much it costs.  The math may work out better once this computer bites the dust.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:58 am

whatchamacallit wrote: I love my chromebook and never use my Windows desktop except to print on my older USB printer.
You need a Google print capable printer to print.
Another potential privacy concern: to use google print means to put everything you want to print out there on the cloud, even stuff you never emailed or uploaded.
Of course for those of you with a separate computer and usb printer, you can use that for those private printouts you want to fax to your lawyer.
Mountaineer wrote: Another possibility for anyone connected to education:  Apple offers an education discount if you meet certain criteria. 
I bought my 2009 mini through a friend who was a university lecturer at the time.  :)
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:10 am

I love GWX Control Panel!!!  Windows 10 doesn't exist in my reality and never will.  Buy a Windows 7 COA off of eBay if you must.  There's just no point in using 8 or 10 unless you have a touchscreen monitor or tablet.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
Last edited by MachineGhost on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:00 pm

I enjoyed reading through this old thread.

I don’t suppose anyone has tried Project Trident? BSD had a more graphical version — version is the wrong word — called PC-BSD, then TrueOS.

TrueOS is now server-oriented, while desktop os endeavors have forked off (pun intended) to become Trident.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:59 pm

On second thought, they are savaged in the distrowatch reviews. I think I’ll focus on Zorin OS.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:34 am

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:59 pm
On second thought, they are savaged in the distrowatch reviews. I think I’ll focus on Zorin OS.
I went from Ubuntu to Mint to Linux Lite on a desktop , also I am using Knoppix from a pen drive now that i like after going thru multiple distro . I may check out Zorin. Thanks
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:06 am

Yeah, give it a shot. Zorin was very smooth even years ago, and that’s coming from a beginner.

I’m hoping to get my folks into it for their secondary computers.