Tech Help Needed

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Tech Help Needed

Post by dualstow »

Yeah, give it a shot. Zorin was very smooth even years ago, and that’s coming from a beginner.

I’m hoping to get my folks into it for their secondary computers.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

dualstow wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:06 am Yeah, give it a shot. Zorin was very smooth even years ago, and that’s coming from a beginner.

I’m hoping to get my folks into it for their secondary computers.
Tried out Zorin on a Pen Drive, Looks nice. The only difficulty I had was the computer froze, and the mouse would move but would not click to go anywhere.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

I tried Zorin. Had some "update" related issues and reverted to Mint on a USB stick.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Darn. The two posts above illustrate while I’ll never have a linux or bsd box as my primary computer. A tinkerer can. A mechanic can have a British car at home. I can do neither.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

dualstow wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:32 am Darn. The two posts above illustrate while I’ll never have a linux or bsd box as my primary computer. A tinkerer can. A mechanic can have a British car at home. I can do neither.
That made me laugh ... and fondly remember driving a 1958 MGA - when I was a young tinkerer, way before Linux. O0

I only play around with Linux on a 10 year old PC and always with the Linux OS on a USB stick.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Mountaineer wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:12 am
dualstow wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:32 am Darn. The two posts above illustrate while I’ll never have a linux or bsd box as my primary computer. A tinkerer can. A mechanic can have a British car at home. I can do neither.
That made me laugh ... and fondly remember driving a 1958 MGA - when I was a young tinkerer, way before Linux. O0

I only play around with Linux on a 10 year old PC and always with the Linux OS on a USB stick.
I left Windows at the XP version for the most part, I still have a windows machine for a few things but went to Linux on another Desktop for the Majority of the time. If i am surfing the net or Purchase anything on line including Brokerage Account I will use Linux on a USB drive for security.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I always see big news like the French government is switching to Ubuntu, Vicenza is going to use Zorin, blah blah, and then they give up and quietly crawl back to Windows so they can use their printers again.

Tiger head, snake tail, as the Chinese say.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:15 pm
shekels wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:40 am
Mountaineer wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:12 am

I left Windows at the XP version for the most part, I still have a windows machine for a few things but went to Linux on another Desktop for the Majority of the time. If i am surfing the net or Purchase anything on line including Brokerage Account I will use Linux on a USB drive for security.
I don't know how you can go Linux only.

1. sudo idon'tknowhowtodothat it's easier in Windows
2. too many programs are Windows only, like Quicken and my dental practice management software.
The easiest way in my opinion to use Linux is to download a ISO of your Linux choosing,
https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-linux-di ... xperience/

Then write it to a thumb drive. for windows machine try Rufus https://rufus.ie/
Also Pendrive Linux https://www.pendrivelinux.com/category/ ... tutorials/
There is also Etcher https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6931-etcher.html

Then just boot from any Desktop/laptop and try it. Run the Live Linux version you choose to see if you Like it.

This is just a jumping off point. It can get more in depth with dual booting or virtual drive which should not involve Sudo anything // -s -idk
This is how I got started using Linux without all the Windows issues.
The management software would take a virtual drive to run so I would not mess with it but there are alternative to Quicken that run in Linux I believe if you get to using Linux.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

dualstow wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:01 pm I always see big news like the French government is switching to Ubuntu, Vicenza is going to use Zorin, blah blah, and then they give up and quietly crawl back to Windows so they can use their printers again.

Tiger head, snake tail, as the Chinese say.
Printers were a big stumbling block a few years ago but it has gotten a lot better.
Of course we were all trying to use Printers that we were using with Windows and expecting them to work with Linux
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

+1 on shekels’ suggestion of the Rufus tool. It made things really simple for me when I was trying out distros on a Windows pc.

Added: re: Printers: Shekels, I should mention that I don’t blame Linux for the hardware problems. If anything, my experience has been that hardware makers can be “unfriendly” to Linux drivers.

Example: I bought an HP notebook with Windows, followed all the right instructions, and could not get wifi. Got an expert to help me...no go. One could say it was human error on the expert’s part, but I have read elsewhere about this. Hope I’m not rambling here. O0 Zorin is currently looking for someone to manufacture pc’s to natively run Zorin OS.