Tech Help Needed

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tech Help Needed

Post by Ad Orientem » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:55 am

Hi all. My 7 year old computer is dying and I finally broke down and got a new one yesterday. Unfortunately it has Windows 10 which I really don't like. It's confusing as hell. Anyways I managed to migrate most of my files to the new computer BUT... I am having a lot of trouble viewing the. I am constantly getting messages that say I don't have permission to view the file in question.

This is nuts. I should be able to view any file on my computer. I would have assumed the Microsoft would be intelligent enough to give administrator rights automatically to the owner of the computer.  Any help would be appreciated.
Ceterum censeo Trump delendum esse.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." M.Twain
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Tech Help Needed

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:01 am

I like Win10.  Very stable.  You'll get used to it.

Any specific file types that you are having issues with?  These are generally files in your Documents directory?  I've never experienced a permissions problem, only a process where I had to set default programs to use/view files of certain extensions over and over because they always wanted to default to built in MS programs.
But what do I know?
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:08 am

I backed up almost everything from my previous computer and migrated it on a removable memory stick. Now I can't view most of the photos. I am still checking other files
Ceterum censeo Trump delendum esse.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." M.Twain
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:09 am

I wouldn't touch Windows 10 with a 10 foot pole.  Updates which push advertising on you, spying on you, etc.  It sounds like a complete disaster to me.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:21 am

Windows 10 is complete dogshit. It's an utter mess that cannot be redeemed.

Unless you use really esoteric Windows-Only software with no equivalent on other platforms, my recommendation at this point is to buy an Apple computer or a PC pre-loaded with Linux. Yes, you'll have to learn something slightly different, but at least what you'll be learning will actually work and make sense. I regularly install Linux on neighbors' PCs when asked to rehabilitate them (invariably running Windows) and haven't had a single complaint yet.

Since you have a backup on removable media, it's not too late to wipe it and install Linux.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:39 am

Pointedstick wrote: Windows 10 is complete dogshit. It's an utter mess that cannot be redeemed.

Unless you use really esoteric Windows-Only software with no equivalent on other platforms, my recommendation at this point is to buy an Apple computer or a PC pre-loaded with Linux. Yes, you'll have to learn something slightly different, but at least what you'll be learning will actually work and make sense. I regularly install Linux on neighbors' PCs when asked to rehabilitate them (invariably running Windows) and haven't had a single complaint yet.

Since you have a backup on removable media, it's not too late to wipe it and install Linux.
Switching to a different OS may be a good idea but I would hardly describe the user experience as "slightly different". Most non-technical users will have great difficulty in making that switch; your neighbors are not representative.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:40 am

PS,

Which Apple computer would you recommend, for a cheapskate tired of years of crappy Windows?  Not much horsepower needed, just a decent stable platform. 
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter. 
- D.L. Moody

Diversification means always having to say you're sorry.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:47 am

If you need portability, the MacBook air is really, really hard to beat. If not, get a cheap Mac Mini and plug in your existing mouse, keyboard, and display. If you're starting from scratch, it's hard to beat the cheapest iMac. The prices are not at all unreasonable for what you get IMHO. A comparable PC in most cases is about the same price or more.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:56 am

I wonder if this Mini is too dated; it looks like a pretty good deal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... 4_ghz.html
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter. 
- D.L. Moody

Diversification means always having to say you're sorry.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:08 am

Pointedstick wrote: Windows 10 is complete dogshit. It's an utter mess that cannot be redeemed.

I've been using it for ~6 months.  There were a couple painful issues at the start, but it is stable and works perfectly well for me, at least as well as Win 7.  I have a work related Windows only program, so that's driving it mainly, otherwise I'd possibly do Linux.  But doing that would force a learning curve on the rest of my family that I am not willing to tackle.

Not being able to view photo files on a memory stick, unless you did a backup with a program that did some proprietary zipping/compression, assuming that are jpegs, I can't imagine why those would cause an issue.
But what do I know?
gizmo_rat
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gizmo_rat » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:50 am

With the caveat that I mostly use a mac, it sounds like an ownership problem which would occur on any version of windows in these circumstances.

Changing ownership of files and folders in windows is a bit of a faf but there's shortcut you can install to add a 'take ownership' item to the context menu.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841 ... -10-a.html

Thereafter you can just take ownership of any of your files/folders you've copied across from your old pc.

In Win 10 .jpgs will open in 'Photos' which is an OK photo browser.

In my experience Windows 10 itself is pretty good, fugly but fast. 
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:16 am

i made the switch to linux, to avoid win 10 spy-ware, perpetual security holes and forced "upgrades" to the win 7 i was using..

it did not go well at first  :'(  :o i tried to ease into it by setting up a dual boot and crashed everything, including boot up, and it took weeks for me to figure out how to fix it (even geek squad was at a loss)
but sink or swim i now have ubuntu 14.02 LTS ... and i don't, and wont, be looking back.... it helps to be a bit geeky, but for basic stuff it works great and i have only one win program that cant be avoided, and theres always the old win vista laptop for that...

i have never played with win 10 so i cant offer much help, but every win system i have had has been pretty much follow the pattern of previous versions/second nature to trouble shoot, and resort to help boxes and the Internet if all else fails...  their glitches aren't to bad or tough to work out in general,,
Last edited by l82start on Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a free society, the last refuge of the moron is tyranny.

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence