Thoughts on gay rights?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Thoughts on gay rights?

Post by jafs » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:34 am

I'm not at all sure that gay/lesbian/etc. folks have equal rights yet.

Foster parenting and adopting are probably not equalized yet, I'd think.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:39 am

I know a bunch of gay people. Their sexuality doesn't concern me since we're not in a romantic relationship. They are generally just regular, normal people. However I'll admit that none of them have children, which seems like it complicates things because the family unit wouldn't fit into one of the boxes that people expect it to. But straight couples can have plenty of crazy psychodrama with their kids too so I don't think there's anything especially weird there.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:47 am

Some of my extended family are lesbians in committed relationships with kids.

They are in every way just like straight families - the same relationship dynamics, parental concerns, etc. - except for their sexuality.

The kids are smart, sweet and interesting.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:50 am

Pointedstick wrote:
Maddy wrote: Wow, three pages in, and still no attempt to articulate what specific "rights" homosexuals do not enjoy.
Up until recently, many lacked the right to marry, which was recently discovered by the supreme court.
~
Some of this may run into debate, like the cake maker's right to refuse service or the specific rules of organizations and clubs, but I believe they could not openly join the US military before (Don't Ask, Don't Tell). My dad knew a guy who was court-martialed when found out. There's the boys scouts, being a Catholic priest...

A lot of these are very recent.
“As a white person of colour, I am extremely concerned about the rise of black whiteness.” — Titania McGrath
pariah — 1610s member of a low caste in S. India; Tamil (Dravidian) “drummer”, as members of the lowest caste played drums at festivals. “social outcast,” 1819.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:05 pm

There's a right to be a Catholic priest or join the boy scouts?

I get that we have the civil rights act and it makes discrimination in hiring and purveying services illegal, but let's step back for a moment. If a girl wanted to join the boy scouts, what would happen? No go. The boy scouts is only for boys. She has to join the girl scouts. And the girl scouts is only for girls. No boys allowed. Isn't that discrimination on the basis of gender? Isn't that technically illegal under the civil rights act? Another example: a female friend of mine runs a photography business that she calls an "empowerment studio for women." She takes cute or sexy pictures of women, and only women. She doesn't shoot men. Again, isn't that discrimination on the basis of gender?

But these are all examples of discrimination that we're okay with. So maybe discrimination isn't the worst thing in the entire universe and you're a hateful evil bigot for suggesting it. Maybe it's okay if the Catholic church is allowed to say "No thanks" to the possibility of ordaining gays. Similarly, a gay bar should have the right to say, "No thanks" to straight people who want to enter.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Fred
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Fred » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:12 pm

Michellebell wrote: I think it is biological, but if homosexuality exists in nature all the time, why do you think the trait hasn't the trait died out?
I was just reading an article about this....

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... onism.html

The bottom line according to the theory is that the gene is both helpful and harmful. It's helpful in females because it seems to make them more reproductive, harmful in males for obvious reasons (biologically speaking).
Last edited by Fred on Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:44 pm

Pointedstick wrote:Up until recently, many lacked the right to marry, which was recently discovered by the supreme court.
They had the same right to marry as everyone else.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:10 pm

IDrinkBloodLOL wrote: Gays shouldn't really have rights because they are not mentally sound.

Regardless of what you personally believe about homosexuality itself being a mental disorder, they all (100%) have secondary mental disorders, which they quite frequently attempt to self medicate with wanton illicit drug use. They all seem to be bipolar, alcoholic and addicted to meth and a few other drugs of choice.

Secondly, their sexuality in itself is more fixated on promiscuity and outright orgies than anything sensible or healthy. They have bloody buttsex with dozens of new men per week. Gay establishments such as gyms and bars often proudly declare that they feature "hookup rooms" for casual sex. Often this casual sex is used to pay for drugs.

Lastly, they are aggressive and proselyte. They actively try to recruit young men into homosexuality, and actively try to molest little boys.

They shouldn't have rights, they're mental cases. They should be institutionalized. Whether or not it's their "fault" is up for debate, but the fact remains that each and every single one unleashes such horror on society with their "lifestyle" that they couldn't possibly do enough good, individually or collectively, to offset it.

An important point to consider: whatever you reward and encourage in society, you get more of. We currently reward and encourage coming home to find that our 11 year old son did not return home from school because a strange man talked him into letting a room full of strange men take turns snorting cocaine out of his butthole.

That we allow and even encourage this "lifestyle" is all the proof I need to know that we live in an insane cartoon world.

inb4 "wow just wow" and "it's (current year)!" etc.
It's not polite to barge into a conversation in a group of which you are a recent member and in effect insult everyone before you as being crazy for not having the same opinion as you do.

That is an indication of "oppositional defiant disorder".
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:15 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:It's not polite to barge into a conversation in a group of which you are a recent member and in effect insult everyone before you as being crazy for not having the same opinion as you do.

That is an indication of "oppositional defiant disorder".
That criticism might apply to some of IDrinkBlood's posts, but I'm not sure it really does to this one.  Did he call anyone here crazy?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:17 pm

Speaking of getting more of what you reward, if you don't want to reward iDBLOL's obnoxious post and encourage more like it, don't reply to it. There are ways to express opposition to the social acceptance of homosexuality without being an asshole. Besides, he's just going to delete it in a few days anyway.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:27 pm

Michellebell wrote:
I believe that a lot of homosexuals are born that way
They are ALL born that way. The notion that it is somehow a choice is a myth perpetuated by the church.

Michellebell wrote: I can't make up my mind over the issue of gay people raising children.  I think that the nuclear family is the very best for children. 
Why can't two parents of the same sex create a nuclear family? Who says it has to be one parent of each gender?
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:36 pm

Blood,

You seem to be resting your opinions on certain facts that it would be helpful for us to see some sort of statistical source on.  It's ok to make brash statements here, IMO.  No reason not to call out the Emperor for having no clothes.  But it's all the more reason to accompany your more difficult-to-digest statements about reality with sources, if you don't mind.  If you're going on "gut-feel" rather than actual objective/statistical analysis, IMO that's ok too, but better to point that out for us so we know where you're getting some of this.

Also, if you don't have direct statistical sources, but follow someone on these topics that DOES list sources in their work, that would be helpful too.

Nobody's demanding perfect politeness, objectiveness, or abundant sources on all topics, but generally we all tend to like to know where someone is coming from when the list out the premises upon which they are basing their opinions.

Thanks...
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine