Big Googly Brother

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Big Googly Brother

Post by dualstow » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:50 pm

BearBones wrote: Thanks, you all. Will try DDG and Startpage. Anyone pay for a private VPN?
I used DuckDuckGo most of the time.

VPN: Like EarlyCuyler, I use Private Internet Access (PIA). It's too early for me to recommend them. Everything was working great since I signed up a few days ago, but today, it kept disconnecting. Customer Service told me in a live chat, that it's an OSX socket thing, and to turn off the computer for 5 minutes. I asked if I would have to do this all the time, b/c I normally only put the computer to sleep, shutting down every few months. Cust Svc disappeared again and eventually came back and said, vaguely, "This should fix the problem."  :-\ So we'll see. I'd already signed up for one year.
ethnic: "pagan, heathen," Greek ethnikos ".. national," from ethnos "band of people living together, nation, people, tribe, caste,"..Earlier in English as a noun, "a heathen, pagan, one who is not a Christian or Jew" (c. 1400)
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:23 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
pugchief wrote: If you know how to shop, you can get a good VPN for under $20/year. For instance, the very service I use, Cyberghost is available here for $12.99/year. The only difference between this and their full price service [which still is reasonable] is a few less servers. I have never had an issue with the cheaper product.

http://milled.com/cyberghost-vpn/8jvjZVGQwZpTknsJ
Any issues with them being located in Romania - either distance or location?

... M
The company is based in Romania, but they servers all over the world, including the US. I usually use the ones in the Netherlands [prob being paranoid, but with the whole big bro thing, I prefer to stay away form US based anything if I want true privacy; see the thread here on Apple and the phone for my reasons for the paranoia] and I have never had an issue with quality and speed of connection.
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:30 pm

Great info. Thanks all.
Anyone use OpenDNS?
If I use OpenDNS, Ghostery, and Duck Duck Go, is my IP address still visible to all sites I go to?
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:32 pm

BearBones wrote: Great info. Thanks all.
Anyone use OpenDNS?
If I use OpenDNS, Ghostery, and Duck Duck Go, is my IP address still visible to all sites I go to?
OpenDNS is a pain to set up unless you are a computer wonk, IMHO. There is no GUI.

EDIT: I meant OpenVPN. OpenDNS doesn't afford you any privacy as far as I know.
Last edited by pugchief on Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:54 pm

BearBones wrote: If I use OpenDNS, Ghostery, and Duck Duck Go, is my IP address still visible to all sites I go to?
Yes. If you don't want people to know your IP, use Tor.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:19 am

I feel very, very old.
"We are on the verge of a global transformation; all we need is the. . . right major crisis. . . and the nation will accept the. . . new world order." David Rockefeller (1994)
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:37 am

Maddy wrote: I feel very, very old.
When you write an email, do you put the whole text in the "subject" line?  ;D
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0