Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

lordmetroid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: VoIP

Post by lordmetroid » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:14 pm

Landline?
I don't have no frickin landline. We are living in the age of cellphones now!
Broadband fiber internet connection is the closest to landline I got!
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:22 pm

MangoMan wrote: What are people here using for their 'landline', if anything? I was using Nettalk [like magicjack] but they just raised their fees a lot and I am wanting to switch.
Ooma, which I hope will work better once I switch to what I hope is a better internet connection.

Yes, I know hope is not a plan, but I just got a termination notice from my current internet provider and have had to scramble to get an alternative set up.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:59 pm

Voipo, 2 years, $149

http://www.voipo.com/
Test of the signature line
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:25 pm

I use Ooma, and I have the app on my phone also, so my home phone number rings on my phone.
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:38 pm

Obi200
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUV ... hatechn-20

Love that amazing little thing! Pair with Googlevoice number and for <$50 have free landline. No ongoing fees. Can add e911 for <$1 a month.
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:43 pm

With Ooma, you buy the unit, and set up the service.

It used to be completely free, but now you have to pay some monthly taxes/surcharges, which amount to about $4.50/month for us (I think this may differ from place to place).

I believe you can keep your existing phone number, but I'm not sure, and there may be a charge for that.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Basic Ooma is about $4 a month. Depends on the taxes where you live. I'm quite happy with it for the past couple of years. For $10 a month more, you get a pretty rich assortment of premium features. Robocall filtering, second line free, can ring to the phone app, text notification if someone calls 911 from your home phone, more. Yes, you can port your old phone number, then it becomes your lifetime phone number, no matter where you move in the world, it moves with you. I'm looking forward to not ever changing my phone number again.

I have Google Voice... I am always fearful about when they are going to cancel it because it's not "core" for them. When something is free, you're really at their mercy.
Austen Heller
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Austen Heller » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:05 pm

BearBones wrote: Obi200
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUV ... hatechn-20

Love that amazing little thing! Pair with Googlevoice number and for <$50 have free landline. No ongoing fees. Can add e911 for <$1 a month.
Another vote for the Obihai product.  I have been using the Obi100 for about 3-4 years, with no problems at all.  The device cost me $40, but there have been no ongoing fees at all, I use it with Google voice.  If mine broke, I would definitely buy the newer Obi200.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:21 pm

google talk on a wifi enabled device...totally free.
unlimited talk, text, voicemail transciption, video calling.

works with freedompop phone over the sprint data network, again free up to 500 mb? per month
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:20 pm

MangoMan wrote: What are people here using for their 'landline', if anything? I was using Nettalk [like magicjack] but they just raised their fees a lot and I am wanting to switch.
I gave up a landline in 1995 and never looked back.  I've had the same phone number on my mobile ever since then.  Call my number and reach me.  Why would you want to call my house?  My house doesn't care about you.

Nowadays that number is mapped to Google Voice which is mapped to whatever temporary SIM card I have in my phone from whatever country I am in.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:57 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
I gave up a landline in 1995 and never looked back.  I've had the same phone number on my mobile ever since then.  Call my number and reach me.  Why would you want to call my house?  My house doesn't care about you.

Nowadays that number is mapped to Google Voice which is mapped to whatever temporary SIM card I have in my phone from whatever country I am in.
Good choice.  As much as you travel, dragging around a miles long phone landline would have been a literal drag.  ;D

... M
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:24 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote: Why would you want to call my house?  My house doesn't care about you.
The only reasons I maintain a landline:

1. Give that out to potential phone spammers [charities, politicians] when I have no choice. If my house phone rings, I don't answer it bc anyone who I would actually want to talk to will call my cell.
2. Use it to make outgoing calls when I am at my desk at home. The clarity is better, it's easier to dial, and the speakerphone features are superior. Especially true if I know I am going to be on hold, like when I call the cable company.
Ditto.  Works great for reasonable cost in a bundle with cable and internet on Verizon FiOS with the package I got when threatening to leave for Comcast.  FiOS quality, tech service, and customer service in my area are outstanding and doubly so in comparison to Comcast - used to have Comcast but switched several years ago - don't know about Comcast's current status.

... M
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:14 am

Mountaineer wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote: Why would you want to call my house?  My house doesn't care about you.
The only reasons I maintain a landline:

1. Give that out to potential phone spammers [charities, politicians] when I have no choice. If my house phone rings, I don't answer it bc anyone who I would actually want to talk to will call my cell.
2. Use it to make outgoing calls when I am at my desk at home. The clarity is better, it's easier to dial, and the speakerphone features are superior. Especially true if I know I am going to be on hold, like when I call the cable company.
Ditto.  Works great for reasonable cost in a bundle with cable and internet on Verizon FiOS with the package I got when threatening to leave for Comcast.  FiOS quality, tech service, and customer service in my area are outstanding and doubly so in comparison to Comcast - used to have Comcast but switched several years ago - don't know about Comcast's current status.

... M
Sadist! We just got a termination notice from our current internet provider and had to scramble to get something else, which is $25/mo more for half the data allowance. :-(

Maybe it will at least be of better quality...
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:13 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
MangoMan wrote: The only reasons I maintain a landline:

... M
Sadist! We just got a termination notice from our current internet provider and had to scramble to get something else, which is $25/mo more for half the data allowance. :-(

Maybe it will at least be of better quality...
Hey, that is only a couple of beers and some bar food a month!  And you won't even have to work out or diet (other than your data).  Enjoy! (hopefully).  ;D

... M
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:36 pm

Hi  8)

to call worldwide any solution better than VOIPBUSTER ?

Regards
Live healthy, live actively and live life!