Red flags for infidelity

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Red flags for infidelity

Post by Pointedstick » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:57 pm

I think most of the bitterness comes from a small number of people with an overabundance of bitterness. :P Speaking for myself, I'm in a stable, happy long term relationship right now. Probably most of the other people in this situation don't feel the need to participate in these threads. But I do because I'm bored out of my mind in isolation with a nasty case of shingles so anything that involves moving around much is off limits.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:20 pm

Oh man, Shingles is terrible.  Good luck. 
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter. 
- D.L. Moody

Diversification means always having to say you're sorry.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:21 pm

IDrinkBloodLOL wrote: There's an overabundance of marital problem & anti-marriage threads here.

Are a lot of you people bitter divorcees or stuck in horrible marriages or what?
As one of those that might seem like a bitter divorcee, I can tell you that it was probably a good thing for my happiness in the long run, and the only thing I am bitter about is that my ex-wife took full advantage of the misandrist divorce laws in this country and caused me a financial headache that took years to recover from and which I plan to never experience again by never marrying again. Also just trying to give a heads-up to my gyroscopic buddies who might not know better.  8)
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
Michellebell

Post by Michellebell » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:45 pm

This thread continued a topic that came up in another thread.  I'm spending a ton of time at home watching little kids with no adults to talk to so I'm texting about these issues between diaper changes and feedings.  Since I'm a nursing mom I have pump breaks at work too with nothing to do but sit in a little room for 20 minutes so I text messages then too. 

Most of us are married, I believe. We are just talking about it because we find it interesting.
Last edited by Michellebell on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:23 pm

Pointedstick wrote: I think most of the bitterness comes from a small number of people with an overabundance of bitterness. :P Speaking for myself, I'm in a stable, happy long term relationship right now. Probably most of the other people in this situation don't feel the need to participate in these threads. But I do because I'm bored out of my mind in isolation with a nasty case of shingles so anything that involves moving around much is off limits.
PS,

My very best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Never had shingles but I hear it is really bad.  My doctor offered my wife and I the shingles vaccine a couple of years ago; he said we do not want to get shingles - we took his advice.  I'm currently suffering with a pinched nerve in my neck (getting old sucks) and maybe can somewhat identify with nerve issues such as shingles and the related intense pain.  Get well soon.  :)

... M
I marvel at the creation - its beauty, its endurance, its complexity. I marvel that man can make complex things but is incapable of making even the simplest living organism - a blade of grass, a tree, an ant, an amoeba.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:37 pm

Thanks everyone. Sadly the vaccine isn't approved for people younger than 50 so I imagine there are a lot of younger folks who are going to be getting it as more and more people are vaccinated against chicken pox and people's natural immunity wanes from lack of continuous exposure. I found out that one of my friend had it at age 20.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:50 pm

Pointedstick wrote: Thanks everyone. Sadly the vaccine isn't approved for people younger than 50
Given at 1 year. And can be given again later if no evidence of immunity.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/h ... adult.html
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:59 pm

My impression was that if you're an adult who got chicken pox before the varicella vaccine was invented, you're not offered it again to protect against shingles until age 50.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:35 pm

Pointedstick wrote: My impression was that if you're an adult who got chicken pox before the varicella vaccine was invented, you're not offered it again to protect against shingles until age 50.
You could always tell the Doc you are a Democrat where your role models approve of "slightly misstating facts" and tell him you are age 51.  Then go for absolution.  ;)

... M
I marvel at the creation - its beauty, its endurance, its complexity. I marvel that man can make complex things but is incapable of making even the simplest living organism - a blade of grass, a tree, an ant, an amoeba.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:50 pm

IDrinkBloodLOL wrote: There's an overabundance of marital problem & anti-marriage threads here.

Are a lot of you people bitter divorcees or stuck in horrible marriages or what?
There are three threads, and to my knowledge this is the first time we have discussed these issues here, so there may be some pent up points of view that are being expressed.

Out of thousands and thousands of threads, I wouldn't say that three threads on a given topic is an "overabundance."

It's ironic (and a little amusing) that when we get our first new female member in ages we are all suddenly talking about love, relationships, and sex.  :)
Only strength can cooperate. Weakness can only beg.
-Dwight Eisenhower
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Pointedstick wrote: Thanks everyone. Sadly the vaccine isn't approved for people younger than 50 so I imagine there are a lot of younger folks who are going to be getting it as more and more people are vaccinated against chicken pox and people's natural immunity wanes from lack of continuous exposure. I found out that one of my friend had it at age 20.
Shingles is horrible. BTW, I had the vaccine, but I got shingles anyway.

My wife isn't going to get the vaccine because she got a good dose of my virus when taking care of me.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
Michellebell

Post by Michellebell » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:21 pm

MediumTex wrote:

There are three threads, and to my knowledge this is the first time we have discussed these issues here, so there may be some pent up points of view that are being expressed.

Out of thousands and thousands of threads, I wouldn't say that three threads on a given topic is an "overabundance."

It's ironic (and a little amusing) that when we get our first new female member in ages we are all suddenly talking about love, relationships, and sex.  :)
I was talking about the same issues on another forum specifically about love, relationships, and sex.  But there were some feminists on there who HATED my views and tore me apart.  So I found the thread here about the same issues and jumped right in.