Armageddon In Paris

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Armageddon In Paris

Post by Pointedstick » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:04 am

A CCW permit in NYC is unfortunately virtually impossible to get if you're not rich or a celebrity, but it is technically possible. I think Donald Trump has one, as well as a bunch more of NYC's rich and powerful. Not sure the effort would be worth it for a regular person, frankly. Mathjak could probably tell you more. You'd probably be better off spending your time and money getting a legal edged weapon or spray, and purchasing training to use them effectively. Improvised weapons could work too; anything is better than letting yourself be slaughtered without putting up a fight.

If you are interested in changing this sad state of affairs I suggest joining the NRA, NYSRPA, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Those would be the relevant, effective, and legit organizations that actually get things done.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:06 am

This appears to be legal in all 50 states, but they can't ship it directly to NY (nor two other states).
http://www.saltsupply.com/#!product-pag ... 62910d9108
EDIT: not legal in Cali.
Last edited by dualstow on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:57 pm

Libertarian666 wrote: If you lived somewhere in NYS outside the NYC victim disarmament zone, you could get one with only a relatively small amount of harassment, and then I believe you could also carry it in the city, as there was a court case to that effect some time ago. However, they may have closed that "loophole" by now.
When I lived in NY in 2009, a NYS CCW did not let you carry in NYC.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:11 pm

I'm from NY State originally. An old friend who moved out west but who still has parents in NY said that getting a carry permit was quite a struggle. Not sure about the timing with respect to change of residence.

On top of that, even carrying the permit on his person didn't save him from harrassment when he was stopped once. Oh well.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:51 pm

"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:08 am

moda0306 wrote: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 77423.html

You guys think these are legit?
Happened in Canada, too.
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/61195 ... n-florida/
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:24 am

While terrible, it's just the wages of misplaced multiculturalism. Europeans have a loooooong history of being, how shall I put it, intemperate when it comes to non-Christians living among them. The former European Jewish population is generally much happier in Israel or the USA; their current Muslim population would likewise likely be happier and better off elsewhere. Now it's a huge problem for everyone because European politicians in the past let a huge number of culturally incompatible Arab Muslims in. They're the ones who sowed the seeds of this conflict--purposelessly, and for no benefit at all. Domestic Muslim terrorism and anti-Muslim recriminations were simply the only possible outcomes, given Europe's history. And for what? How has Europe benefited from creating a seething, resentful, easily-radicalizable, culturally incompatible underclass of ethnic non-Europeans? It boggles the mind.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:44 am

It certainly is a predictable result. However it very quickly upsets the narrative of why these groups are, as you say, incompatible. And it's not necessarily their proclivity for extreme violence, as both groups have extremists willing to terrorize folks because of their political and cultural frustrations.

So really the main "incompatibility" isn't one of "Western Civilization" (whatever that means... Always seems to accompany war-hawkery and a police state) vs barbarian/savage hoards, but one that is more nuanced.

For instance, when I tell people that two of my best Econ professors, both professional and extremely friendly and open and fun to banter with, were Iranian, they are dumbfounded. They simply assume Iranians are evil at worst or at best, incompatible "others."

Meanwhile we support one of the most brutal regimes in the Middle East, Saudi Arabia, and this gets almost no level of concern or even curiosity as to what kind of "compatibility with Western Civilization" we might actually be asking from folks. Meanwhile, the only candidate (other than Paul) anywhere in the same ballpark of bringing up this massive inconsistency is Trump, except he just thinks Saudis are screwing over Americans... No concern for the fact that we are allied with one or the most despotic regimes in the world. (In fact, I predict if elected trump will strengthen relationships with brutal dictators as long as they help project American power. Just a guess.)

This whole "incompatibility" topic is an interesting one. I have interacted with Muslims in school, the workplace and in public, and I'd be surprised if there's a lot more culturally incompatible between myself and them as there was between the US citizens and Irish immigrants in the 1860's. People tend to make light of this difference. I encourage you guys to listen to Dan Carlin's "immigration breakdown" podcast on this topic.  http://www.dancarlin.com/common-sense-h ... ding-page/

You may not agree with everything he says, but the historical perspective he offers on how outside groups are perceived, including in the US, is at least an interesting dive into the perspectives at the time.
Last edited by moda0306 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:05 am

I think he was saying that a huge number of incompatibles came in, not that everyone is incompatible by race or country of origin, let alone unprofessional or unfriendly.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:13 am

It has nothing to do with "western civilization" vs "middle eastern civilization" (what passes for it, at least). It's the simple, human, enduring fact that people generally don't like people who are unlike them--the greater the difference, the greater the distaste. This is why you got along great with your Iranian Econ professors. They are, for the most part, cut from the same cloth as you. Intelligent, intellectual, thoughtful, interested in money, probably a bit nerdy. I have an African colleague who's from Benin. He's an engineer. I'm an engineer. We are two peas in a pod and get along great. How much cultural similarity does this guy have with someone who grew up in a little village in Benin? Practically nothing. He prefers the company of his colleagues who hail from all over the globe but are all nerdy male engineers, and so do I!

It doesn't have anything to do with race or even nationality. It's simply difference. People like those who are similar to them in mindset and culture. White liberals who worship at the alter of multiculturalism implicitly understand this when they like the company of professional, college-educated blacks but would never in a million years live in the poor section of town where all the ghetto whites and blacks are. Skin color is irrelevant; personal culture is all that matters.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:23 am

Pointedstick wrote: It has nothing to do with "western civilization" vs "middle eastern civilization" (what passes for it, at least). It's the simple, human, enduring fact that people generally don't like people who are unlike them--the greater the difference, the greater the distaste. This is why you got along great with your Iranian Econ professors. They are, for the most part, cut from the same cloth as you. Intelligent, intellectual, thoughtful, interested in money, probably a bit nerdy. I have an African colleague who's from Benin. He's an engineer. I'm an engineer. We are two peas in a pod and get along great. How much cultural similarity does this guy have with someone who grew up in a little village in Benin? Practically nothing. He prefers the company of his colleagues who hail from all over the globe but are all nerdy male engineers, and so do I!

It doesn't have anything to do with race or even nationality. It's simply difference. People like those who are similar to them in mindset and culture. White liberals who worship at the alter of multiculturalism implicitly understand this when they like the company of professional, college-educated blacks but would never in a million years live in the poor section of town where all the ghetto whites and blacks are. Skin color is irrelevant; personal culture is all that matters.
A bit off topic, but your comments seem spot on to me.  Made me think of the church I attend - a blend of about 150 people at a typical Sunday service,  probably 80% white with the rest being black, asian, and latino - all united in receiving the gifts of Christ and all enjoying fellowship with one another.  Skin color is pretty much irrelevant.

... M
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Jake

Post by Jake » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:15 am

Pointedstick wrote: It has nothing to do with "western civilization" vs "middle eastern civilization" (what passes for it, at least). It's the simple, human, enduring fact that people generally don't like people who are unlike them--the greater the difference, the greater the distaste. This is why you got along great with your Iranian Econ professors. They are, for the most part, cut from the same cloth as you. Intelligent, intellectual, thoughtful, interested in money, probably a bit nerdy. I have an African colleague who's from Benin. He's an engineer. I'm an engineer. We are two peas in a pod and get along great. How much cultural similarity does this guy have with someone who grew up in a little village in Benin? Practically nothing. He prefers the company of his colleagues who hail from all over the globe but are all nerdy male engineers, and so do I!

I recommend this fascinating talk by Steve Davis about the concept of "western civilisation"
https://youtu.be/xNOyramDh0I
He argues that modern civilisation burst from Western Europe in the late C18th, but is increasingly less and less about the "west". Rather than being at the end of a long story of western culture, we are at the beginning of something radically new, unplanned and totally alien to the historical cultures of both the "west" and everywhere else before circa 1800.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:21 am

I agree with you in almost 100% entirety.  But it makes it far more toxic when we don't point out that the whole "battle of civilizations" narrative is an incredibly flawed and is more of a threat to the best aspects of open societies than some brown, grumpy, backwards people moving in.

We can still agree that "different people don't get along so let's have a limited immigration policy" without engaging in hyperbole which when combined with Americans (or anyone's) tendency to lash out against other tribes is going to leave our civil liberties and skepticism of a police/Nat'l-security state in the dust bin of history.

I know you're not doing much of that, so we're sorta talking past each other, but I think this is an important aspect of this debate to highlight.

- Thomas Paine
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:45 am

moda0306 wrote: I agree with you in almost 100% entirety.  But it makes it far more toxic when we don't point out that the whole "battle of civilizations" narrative is an incredibly flawed and is more of a threat to the best aspects of open societies than some brown, grumpy, backwards people moving in.

We can still agree that "different people don't get along so let's have a limited immigration policy" without engaging in hyperbole which when combined with Americans (or anyone's) tendency to lash out against other tribes is going to leave our civil liberties and skepticism of a police/Nat'l-security state in the dust bin of history.

I know you're not doing much of that, so we're sorta talking past each other, but I think this is an important aspect of this debate to highlight.
I think you are too sensitive to conservatism, and I do mean it when I use the word "sensitive." It seems like virtually anything political reminds you of some things that some conservatives do that you don't like and then that temporarily hijacks your entire consciousness. Tribalism is something that's in no way limited to conservatives, either. Liberals are every bit as tribal as conservatives. How many liberals do you know who voluntarily live amongst conservatives or in a conservative neighborhood or area? Any at all? They like living among their own kind as much as everyone else does. "Tribalism" is something that for the most part is utterly futile to fight against. It's hardwired into our brains. Even the people who decry it are constantly under its influence, yourself included! :)

As Craig constantly points out, a national security state is the logical and necessary result of a multicultural society. 95%+ of the tribalistic humans will appeal to the big daddy government to protect themselves from their weird, different, unfamiliar neighbors. Acknowledging human nature, if you want a more libertarian, civil-liberty-loving society with a lighter government touch, that society is going to look a lot more segregated and culturally and ethnically homogenous than most liberals would prefer.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:56 am

In an ironic twist, 72 virgins launch an attack on ISIS*
Real headline: One Day Later, Anonymous Already Takes Down 3,824 Pro-ISIS Twitter Accounts
http://news.softpedia.com/news/one-day- ... 6258.shtml

*Not my original joke
MWKXJ

Post by MWKXJ » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:07 pm

Colored and subjective personal observations follow:

The Near East Muslims I've encountered possessed no familiarity with chivalry.  None.  Not even a shred.  The authoritative medieval textbook on chivalry, "Romance of the Rose", apparently did not spread its influence to this people.  Rather, women are seen as commodities, either lusted after and grasped at in public, or, horded and neglected at home.  In any case, their rutting temperament is probably due to more than a historic missed-encounter with Western Europe's writings on the art of romance.

Despite what's been alluded to on this thread---that peoples are interchangeable individuals without inherited predispositions---I suspect Middle Eastern sexual insecurities have a genetic root.  The wife and I jokingly term the recognition of this inheritance the "unibrow factor", and anyone who honestly reads faces will likely admit to having seen it too at one time or another.  As a thought experiment, try to picture the mugshots of any of the latest homicidal "Syrian" "refugees" being moved by a Western ballad, e.g. this .  Theirs is a visage which naturally scoffs at such songs or even the thought of love.  This is true both of their physiognomy and of the religion they've created for their societies which outlaws such expression.

A few millennia spent adapting to cold winters may make this desert people finally love the warmth of their wives and respect others daughters.  Until then, in my opinion, they should be discouraged from coming to any society which honors women.

Edit reason: Preposition touchup.
Last edited by MWKXJ on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:24 pm

A sports stadium in Hanover, Germany, was evacuated Tuesday evening ahead of a scheduled friendly soccer match between the Netherlands and Germany, police said.

"Serious plans for explosions" led to the evacuation, police tell broadcaster NDR.

-- cnn email
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:33 pm

http://qpolitical.com/someone-said-musl ... -response/

Really good video. Excerpt below:

"Most Germans were peaceful, yet the Nazis drove the agenda. And as a result, 60 million died. The peaceful majority were irrelevant. On September 11 in the US, we had 2.3 million Arab Muslims living in the US. It took 19 hijackers--19 radicals--to bring America down to its knees. The peaceful majority were irrelevant. It's time we take political correctness and throw it in the garbage where it belongs."
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 pm

Greg wrote: http://qpolitical.com/someone-said-musl ... -response/

"Most Germans were peaceful, yet the Nazis drove the agenda. And as a result, 60 million died. The peaceful majority were irrelevant. On September 11 in the US, we had 2.3 million Arab Muslims living in the US. It took 19 hijackers--19 radicals--to bring America down to its knees. The peaceful majority were irrelevant. It's time we take political correctness and throw it in the garbage where it belongs."
You mean you actually believe the government's conspiracy theory about 9/11?

Ok, then you can start by explaining why WTC 7 came down.
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:22 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Greg wrote: http://qpolitical.com/someone-said-musl ... -response/

You mean you actually believe the government's conspiracy theory about 9/11?

Ok, then you can start by explaining why WTC 7 came down.
Wait, what? No, I don't believe in that government conspiracy. What made you think I did? All this video was saying is that you can have a peaceful group of the majority, yet a minority of the same group can do some major damage.
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:48 pm

Oh man, if you're ever at Greg's place, don't even get him started on the subterranean reptile aliens. I had to make up an excuse about having a party to run to. Got myself right out of there.
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:11 pm

dualstow wrote: Oh man, if you're ever at Greg's place, don't even get him started on the subterranean reptile aliens. I had to make up an excuse about having a party to run to. Got myself right out of there.
I did wonder why you left in a hurry. You missed all of the good food! See below for a glimpse into the amazing things we ate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MgyRO3c870 <-- Indiana Jones Temple of Doom

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:25 am

hahaha!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:55 am

Woman blows herself up using suicide belt as authorities close in. No, not in Ramadi, but in Paris today. So much for the argument of allowing only women and children refugees from Syria into this country. 
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:45 am

Reub wrote: Woman blows herself up using suicide belt as authorities close in. No, not in Ramadi, but in Paris today. So much for the argument of allowing only women and children refugees from Syria into this country.
I don't know if you're familiar with Steven Salaita. He was part of a hiring scandal at U of Illnois recently. In short, he was writing a lot of heated tweets the last time Israel was firing missiles into Palestine, and some powerful Jewish donors made sure that he was not hired as a result. I can't decide if I'm on his side or not.  I'm all for freedom of speech, but some of his tweets were basically the old blood libel, e.g. "would anyone be surprised if Netanyahu wore a necklace made of the teeth of Palestinian children?"He ultimately got an $800K settlement as a result of spewing this, so he's not exactly a victim.

Anyway, he recently tweeted this:
Having been to France many times, and living now in Lebanon, I can totally see why people call Paris the Beirut of Western Europe.
The interesting thing is, he tweeted this on November 5th. So, while his comment turned out to be true in that Paris now like his beloved Beirut, it is not true in the way that he had hoped.  :-\