Oh yah, Fargo's back and other good tv eh

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Oh yah, Fargo's back and other good tv eh

Post by MediumTex » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:54 pm

I will watch it.  I wanted to watch it last season, but I couldn't find it streaming anywhere.  I can stream most things through my cable provider, but not Fargo.

Here are the shows all PPers should watch:

Breaking Bad
Battlestar Galactica
Deadwood
The Wire
Game of Thrones
House of Cards
Vikings
Justified
The Americans
The Walking Dead

Let me know if I left anything out.

(If you would like a movie recommendation, watch Get Low on Netflix.  It's a great little movie with Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek and Bill Murray.  About halfway through, you realize there is far more going on with the story than you thought.  Very entertaining.)
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Oh yah, Fargo's back and other good tv eh

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:29 pm

MediumTex wrote: Breaking Bad
Battlestar Galactica
Deadwood
The Wire
Game of Thrones
House of Cards
Vikings
Justified
The Americans
The Walking Dead

On that level of caliber, Sons of Anarchy!!!
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:34 pm

MediumTex wrote: I will watch it.  I wanted to watch it last season, but I couldn't find it streaming anywhere.  I can stream most things through my cable provider, but not Fargo.
Just FYI, you can definitely enjoy 2 on its own without having seen season 1.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:56 pm

dualstow wrote:
MediumTex wrote: I will watch it.  I wanted to watch it last season, but I couldn't find it streaming anywhere.  I can stream most things through my cable provider, but not Fargo.
Just FYI, you can definitely enjoy 2 on its own without having seen season 1.
Season One is on Hulu.

Watching it now.

I just finished seasons 3-5 of Walking Dead, so I needed a new show to fill the void.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:28 pm

TennPaGa wrote:
Desert wrote: I watch everything with Duvall in it.  MT, have you ever watched "The Apostle," with Duvall? 
+1 on The Apostle.
Watched it back in 1999 or so.  Great film.

On the subject of Fargo, Season One has Saul in it!  Bonus!
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:46 pm

MediumTex wrote: Breaking Bad
Battlestar Galactica
Deadwood
The Wire
Game of Thrones
House of Cards
Vikings
Justified
The Americans
The Walking Dead

hell on wheels, is right in there with the above bunch, and longmire isn't bad for a modern american west flavored cop show,
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:23 pm

MediumTex wrote: On the subject of Fargo, Season One has Saul in it!  Bonus!
Yes, not Homeland's Mandy Patinkin but B-Bad's Bob Odenkirk. He's great.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:05 pm

MediumTex wrote:
Better Call Saul is fantastic.
Mad Men is as good as television gets, IMO
I also really enjoyed Bloodline on Netflix.  "We're not bad people, we just did a bad thing."

Honorable mention:
Halt and Catch Fire
Silicon Valley

Kudos for mentioning Justified, although I fear they're going to drag it out instead of resolving it while it's still good.  The actors are great on that show.  Especially the guy who plays Teddy.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:52 pm

Desert wrote: I especially like the backstory on the film.  It was a story Duvall really wanted to tell.  He had trouble getting others interested.  And the crazy tent revival preachers are real preachers ... they didn't even have to act.  I loved the tag-team style, crazy preaching style.  It's just a darn good movie.
Unfortunately, that movie has tainted my image of Duvall as being a Jesus-freak so I no longer enjoy him so much as I can never wash myself completely of The Apostle and the several other movies he's been in that are religious-themed.  He's like turning into an octogenarian Kirk Cameron.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:56 pm

Justified jumped the shark way too early, but the wide array of talented actors still make it fascinating to watch.  It's a shame Hollywood is so obsessed over A and B-list.  There's a lot of great talent out there obviously going unused...

l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:25 am

i don't remember a "full on jumped the shark moment" in justified, but they definitely hit the "we don't know where to go with this, lets just repeat what we did before we found our formula moment"
banshee has done the same thing the idea was interesting for about 1 1/2 seasons then the formula became way to obvious..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:44 am

MangoMan wrote: Justified is over. Last season was the finale.
Lol...I meant to say Rectify.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
Fred
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Fred » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:32 pm

Desert wrote: Agreed. 

One more thing about The Apostle, and then I'll be quiet:  The film can easily be viewed (and even enjoyed) as making light of the crazy preachers; making fun of the whole scene.  That was how I viewed it the first time I watched it in my pre-Christian years.  I thought it was a thoughtful caricature of Christian craziness.  My point is that the movie is appreciated more by the non-religious than the religious. 

Kinda like Jesus.  But now I'm spewing religion in a non-religion thread, and Tenn will soon be forced to burn me at the stake.  :)
I was religious when The Apostle came out and I remember some religious folks of the Pentecostal/Charismatic types that I hung out with  thought very highly of it. I thought it was pretty good myself. I didn't see it as a caricature at all. These were the same kind of religious folks i hung out with, just without the baseball bat killing thing.

But Robert Duvall will never top the role of Augustus McCrae in the best television mini-series of all time, Lonesome Dove.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:13 am

MachineGhost wrote: Justified jumped the shark way too early, but the wide array of talented actors still make it fascinating to watch.  It's a shame Hollywood is so obsessed over A and B-list.  There's a lot of great talent out there obviously going unused...
I have a co-worker I talk to a lot in L.A. who is also an actress and I always like to talk to her about small roles she gets now and then.  At some point, she mentioned that she had done an episode of Justified, but I thought she was referring to an episode that had aired in a prior season.

I was watching Justified a few weeks later, and BOOM there is her face on the screen for several seconds and she had a couple of really funny lines.  It was such a treat because I wasn't expecting it at all and it was a much larger role than she had led me to believe.

I really enjoyed the whole show, though.  Really well-written and well-acted.  Lots of priceless lines and great characters.