Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Fred
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Oh yah, Fargo's back and other good tv eh

Post by Fred »

Desert wrote: Agreed. 

One more thing about The Apostle, and then I'll be quiet:  The film can easily be viewed (and even enjoyed) as making light of the crazy preachers; making fun of the whole scene.  That was how I viewed it the first time I watched it in my pre-Christian years.  I thought it was a thoughtful caricature of Christian craziness.  My point is that the movie is appreciated more by the non-religious than the religious. 

Kinda like Jesus.  But now I'm spewing religion in a non-religion thread, and Tenn will soon be forced to burn me at the stake.  :)
I was religious when The Apostle came out and I remember some religious folks of the Pentecostal/Charismatic types that I hung out with  thought very highly of it. I thought it was pretty good myself. I didn't see it as a caricature at all. These were the same kind of religious folks i hung out with, just without the baseball bat killing thing.

But Robert Duvall will never top the role of Augustus McCrae in the best television mini-series of all time, Lonesome Dove.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Oh yah, Fargo's back and other good tv eh

Post by MediumTex »

MachineGhost wrote: Justified jumped the shark way too early, but the wide array of talented actors still make it fascinating to watch.  It's a shame Hollywood is so obsessed over A and B-list.  There's a lot of great talent out there obviously going unused...
I have a co-worker I talk to a lot in L.A. who is also an actress and I always like to talk to her about small roles she gets now and then.  At some point, she mentioned that she had done an episode of Justified, but I thought she was referring to an episode that had aired in a prior season.

I was watching Justified a few weeks later, and BOOM there is her face on the screen for several seconds and she had a couple of really funny lines.  It was such a treat because I wasn't expecting it at all and it was a much larger role than she had led me to believe.

I really enjoyed the whole show, though.  Really well-written and well-acted.  Lots of priceless lines and great characters.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”