Edward Snowden is a Patriot? But...

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Edward Snowden is a Patriot? But...

Post by dualstow »

this guest is talking about Edward Scissorhands instead, and the anchorwoman from HLN does not notice. Good stuff.
http://www.avclub.com/article/hln-confu ... and-226146
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Edward Snowden is a Patriot? But...

Post by dualstow »

Did anyone watch the video? It's hilarious.
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones »

dualstow wrote: Did anyone watch the video? It's hilarious.
I did! She doesn't even bat an eye!
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

That dude deserves an Oscar. I wouldn't have been able to keep a straight face.

I would agree that we need more of this, but I don't know how we would get it. Most guests on media outlets are as clueless as the hosts.

Perhaps we could get Bernie to do it a couple times on Faux?
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Jack Jones wrote:
dualstow wrote: Did anyone watch the video? It's hilarious.
I did! She doesn't even bat an eye!
I often get the feeling that for most interviews like this, the interviewer isn't even listening to what the guy is saying, and simply has a list of things she's wanting to get through.  There's zero interactivity.  This proves it.
Early Cuyler

Post by Early Cuyler »

dualstow wrote: this guest is talking about Edward Scissorhands instead, and the anchorwoman from HLN does not notice. Good stuff.
http://www.avclub.com/article/hln-confu ... and-226146
This made my day, thanks dualstow!
You know how I feel about handouts...cash is much more flexible, hell, cash is king!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Very glad you enjoyed!
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Lot of wisdom in that clip.

I think that Snowden actually is a lot like Edward Scissorhands, and what he did is sort of the national security equivalent of sticking scissor fingers into a teenage girl's waterbed (i.e., very disruptive).
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

MediumTex wrote: I think that Snowden actually is a lot like Edward Scissorhands, and what he did is sort of the national security equivalent of sticking scissor fingers into a teenage girl's waterbed (i.e., very disruptive).
I'm interested in hearing more of your views on this.  Are you saying that his revelations harmed national security in a meaningful way, i.e. raised real risk for all of us?

My impression has been that the NSA's data gathering didn't actually net them anything they couldn't have gotten with more traditional (i.e. less dubious) methods, in part because the sheer amount of data is impossible make sense of, and in part because there is almost certainly a good deal of noise/inaccuracies (if the number of errors that came up during my most recent mortgage application is any indication).

Also I can't help but think of how many obvious signals were missed before the 9/11 hijacking, like these Saudi dudes showing up in Arizona to take flying lessons and mysteriously interested only in how to control a plane in the air but not how to land it, or the Presidential Daily Brief entitled "Bin Laden Determined to Strike in U.S." and specifically discussing the use of passenger jets.  I don't see how the big data sweep would have made any difference whatsoever.  At some point, neurons in someone's head actually have to fire so that conclusions can be drawn.  More information makes  that LESS likely to happen, if anything.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

WiseOne wrote: Also I can't help but think of how many obvious signals were missed before the 9/11 hijacking, like these Saudi dudes showing up in Arizona to take flying lessons and mysteriously interested only in how to control a plane in the air but not how to land it, or the Presidential Daily Brief entitled "Bin Laden Determined to Strike in U.S." and specifically discussing the use of passenger jets.  I don't see how the big data sweep would have made any difference whatsoever.  At some point, neurons in someone's head actually have to fire so that conclusions can be drawn.  More information makes  that LESS likely to happen, if anything.
I think the real threat of having all information available on everyone is an AI Overlord doing the "neuron firing" as well as being useful for purposes of political blackmail by connected insiders.  Are you aware of this nightmare: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center

There should be a copy of all e-mails from Hillary's illegal and unsecure server.  Why doesn't anyone ask for them?  Are we really that afraid to go down that road?
Last edited by MachineGhost on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!