Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

6 Iron
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Essays in Idleness

Post by 6 Iron » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:26 pm

MediumTex wrote:
Somebody asked: "Why do you say that, for he has now descended so far that he can jump?"  And he answered: "It is for this reason.  When he was giddy with being on a dangerous branch, I did not speak, for he was sufficiently frightened himself.  But when he had reached a safer position, he was far more likely to slip."

Though this was a common low-class man, his teaching was in accordance with that of the sages.[/i]
I really like this one. It reminds me of reading about Everest climbers, and that the vast majority of deaths occur on the way down.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:47 pm

6 Iron wrote:
MediumTex wrote:
Somebody asked: "Why do you say that, for he has now descended so far that he can jump?"  And he answered: "It is for this reason.  When he was giddy with being on a dangerous branch, I did not speak, for he was sufficiently frightened himself.  But when he had reached a safer position, he was far more likely to slip."

Though this was a common low-class man, his teaching was in accordance with that of the sages.[/i]
I really like this one. It reminds me of reading about Everest climbers, and that the vast majority of deaths occur on the way down.
It's funny you mention Everest.  I just finished reading Jon Krakauer's excellent "Into Thin Air."

After finishing the book, I watched two great documentaries about Everest on Netflix (both stream).

The first was "The Wildest Dream", a 2010 documentary about George Mallory's ill-fated 1924 expedition (in which he may have actually been the first to summit Everest).  Great story.  Mallory was the guy who coined the phrase "because it's there" when asked why a person would want to climb a mountain.

The second was "Storm Over Everest", a 2008 documentary about the 1996 disaster covered in "Into Thin Air."  It's a Nova production and it's very well done, with interviews with many of the survivors.  There is something chilling about watching a couple of very fit looking people describe the experience, but when the camera shot picks up their arms you see the missing fingers and hands.  Beck Weathers' story in particular is pretty amazing. 
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:22 am

moda0306 wrote: That last one deserves a slow clap, MT.
What is the sound of one hand slow clapping?
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:03 pm

dualstow wrote:
moda0306 wrote: That last one deserves a slow clap, MT.
What is the sound of one hand slow clapping?
It is the sound of a bonsai tree falling
In a mountain valley
When none are within earshot.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:49 am

This is a great thread and a nice escape, especially because where I live people are not so much Tsurezuregusa*
as Carmine Ragusa.

* = essays in idleness
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years